Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

2011 lifter noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 12:48 PM
scooty
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2011 lifter noise

I have a 2011 Tri Glide that is extremely noisey on start up and thrashes for about 20 seconds then starts to quiet down. To me it sounds like the lifters are bleeding down but Harley says it's normal, I have had lots of Harleys over the years and none thrashed like this has anybody else had lifter problems. This bike has 1000 miles on it and it has been noisey from the day I picked it up. THANKS ! ! !

Old 08-02-2011, 10:26 AM
CafeSportyTC
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my first thought would be to rip that sucker apart and check clearances, your lifters should not bleed down that much if that truly is the cuase. and than 20 seconds for the suckers to fill back up???? wtf... do you know what kind of pressure your getting? somthing is obviously amiss.... since your bike is brand spankin new , i would bitch until they address the problem. on the same note , dont you love how anytime something like this happens becuase they dont want to mess with it , they always say... oh its normal.... horsesh*t

Old 08-02-2011, 03:50 PM
scooty
Road Captain
Default noise

The pressure comes up to 32+ when you start it cold but it takes a good 20 seconds for it to quiet down when it starts you would swear that there isn't a drop of oil in it that's how bad it thrashes, and you are right about Harley " OH THAT'S NORMAL THEY ALL DO THAT or THAT SOUNDS GOOD COMPARED TO OTHERS "

Old 08-03-2011, 09:47 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Actually, what you are experiencing may be "normal" on the 11 and up HDs. HD switched suppliers/manufacturers for their lifters and from all appearances, the quality control really is poor. These are designated as "C" lifters, and are far different than the "b" lifters used in 2010 and back, and some 2011 still had the "b" lifters.

What you describe is the lifters bleeding down, go back and pitch a fit, this should not happen on a new bike.

Old 08-03-2011, 10:04 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,602 Posts

Adding to Dalton's post. I have been hearing and reading the same thing and have looked at photos of disassembled B and C lifters. The big problem is the roller. Some have come apart and caused some serious damage to the oil pump and cam plate.

Take Daltons advice and raise hell with the dealer. Get on record so if the worst happens, it won't be a surprise.

Old 08-04-2011, 05:19 PM
scooty
Road Captain
Thumbs down BO lifters

I talked to the dealer again today and neither they or the factory rep.have never heard of any lifter issues so there's not much that they can or will do. What's the deal with these people do they think we are completely ignorant, If you showed up with a rod sticking thru the case that would probably be normal also. So for $32,000 what does the warranty cover ??? I've had a lot of Harleys over the years and I guarantee you that this noise is NOT NORMAL and it will pound the cams out after time. I also told the dealer that if it wasn't under warranty I would pull it apart today and put a set of GOOD lifters in it, to which I got no reply.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:23 AM
CafeSportyTC
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if they dont want to look at it then its time for some after market lifters. im sure the others will chime in on what to use, there was a forum post not to long ago dealing with this lifter problem i believe they used jims lifters and it solved the problem.... someone help me out here

Old 08-05-2011, 09:45 AM
HardyHarHarley
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ask the Service Manager to show you any other 2011 on his floor that sounds like yours upon initial start-up. Tell him if he can produce another one that sounds like yours, you'll walk away and won't bother him any more.

But if he can not produce another 2011 that sounds that way, tell him he has to fix yours because it ain't right.

On another note, you haven't said what engine you have...96, 103 or 110. Also, to your knowledge has your engine ever been disassembled?

I mean, I'm wondering if you don't have the right push rods (length) for your cam.

I'm assuming you've check your oil level and all.

Let us know if its ever resolved.

Jim

Old 08-05-2011, 09:58 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,602 Posts

Originally Posted by CafeSportyTC
if they dont want to look at it then its time for some after market lifters. im sure the others will chime in on what to use, there was a forum post not to long ago dealing with this lifter problem i believe they used jims lifters and it solved the problem.... someone help me out here
There are several aftermarket options; they vary in price.

1. Woods
2. VThunder (Comp Cams)
3. HQ Black Ops
4. AMS Johnson Hylift
5. H-D 18538-99B, if you can find them.

Fueling and Jims/SE but the four listed above would be my choices over those.

Old 08-05-2011, 01:31 PM
scooty
Road Captain
Default lifter noise

This bike has 1000 miles on it and the day I picked it up I asked the dealer about the thrashing and he said that it was normal for the 103 which is BULL S**^ ! ! ! All of the oil is good I just changed all three holes with 20/50 in the motor. If they don't make a move next week I will put a set of lifters in it myself. I have used Jims before but fueling are a little cheaper or should I locate a set of Harley "B" lifters, suggestions welcome.
THANKS ! ! ! !

Quick Reply: 2011 lifter noise