Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

2011 lifter noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 06:46 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,586 Posts

Originally Posted by scooty
This bike has 1000 miles on it and the day I picked it up I asked the dealer about the thrashing and he said that it was normal for the 103 which is BULL S**^ ! ! ! All of the oil is good I just changed all three holes with 20/50 in the motor. If they don't make a move next week I will put a set of lifters in it myself. I have used Jims before but fueling are a little cheaper or should I locate a set of Harley "B" lifters, suggestions welcome.
THANKS ! ! ! !
Worth a try but I doubt if you can find any B lifters; the PN is obsolete. Per my previous, I would pass on Jims or Fueling in favor of the four others listed, but that's just me.

Old 08-06-2011, 07:23 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Jims in the past had some issues with roller failure. I have experience with Wood's and HQ, both very good. I doubt if you will find the HD "b" lifters, I know of many bike builders that have pretty much scooped them up when they could be found.

Old 08-06-2011, 08:25 PM
Old Bugger
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also have a 2011 103" U-Limited. Same Thrashing noise on start up, but only after riding, shutting off, and restarting after 30-45 minutes. No thrashing when started cold. Thrashes for only for 3-4 seconds, not 20. Dealer so far has installed Sportster lifters. Did not Help. Put in new cam plate with hi-pressure bypass oil pump spring. So far so good after about 750 miles. However. This 103 is the noisiest running Harley I've ever heard. Even without the start up Thrashing. I have to turn up the radio to drown out the engine noise. I Rode a 2005 Factory 95" for 3 years and a 2008 96" for 3 years. Neither was 1/2 as noisy. Of course they tell me this noise is normal for a 103"! Why? a 103" is just a Stroked 88" making it a 96" with the cylinders from a 95".

Old 08-07-2011, 10:34 AM
scooty
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question thrashing

They put a new cam support plate in a few weeks ago and it did not help, they did call Friday and agreed to put in a set of Fueling lifters if the "C" lifters are BO there is no point in putting in another set. Also the bike has good oil pressure about 40 psi at idle cold but when you start it cold you would swear that there is not a drop of oil in it and as it idles for 20 seconds or so it gradually quiets down, to me this sounds like a classic case of lifters bleeding down and having to pump back up and if you shut it off and let it set for 5 minutes then start it again it will thrash again but not as bad or for as long as the lifters have not had enough time to bleed down as bad. I have a 2000 Heritage that sat all winter and didn't make a fraction of the noise that this 103 makes. I have had several Harleys and I know how they sound and this 2011 is not normal.

Old 08-07-2011, 06:51 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My 2010 Limited was as quiet as I have ever heard when it was new. I have since installed HQ500 cams and HQ Black Ops lifters with adjustable pushrods and it is still just as quiet. I have done several builds with the lower lift cams and HQ lifters and all are very quiet.

I have installed a set of the Wood directional lifters into a bike running the SE259 cams, replacing HD "B" lifters and they did not make a bit of difference, and they are very, very pricey.

Old 08-14-2011, 05:23 PM
springers4ever
Road Master
Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts

PHP Code:
I talked to the dealer again today and neither they or the factory rep.have never heard of any lifter issues so there's not much that they can or will do. What's the deal with these people do they think we are completely ignorant
that's what they said about the cheap main output shaft bearing on the 88" back in 03' when they change that too , "we have never heard of any bearing failures like that , but ....we do have a new screamin eagle main bearing for that motor if you want to try it "...... that bearing was changed for production reason's ....ez'er to install ....

Old 08-21-2011, 06:30 PM
VinnyM
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I have an 11 RKC doing the same thing as yours but not as bad, one of my front lifters was bleeding down when cold, I switched to SYN3 at 700 miles and it quit for about a thousand miles and then started bleeding down again, I have been thinking about trying a new oil so I switched to Mobil 1 20-50 Vtwin at 2200 miles and it quit again, with about 3000 it's not happening again yet. My biggest complaint is the top end clatter on this 103, it sounds like a motor with 50k on it. Still have my 96" Streetglide and it is night and day quieter than the 103.....and I thought it was noisy compared to my 88's and evo's. Anybody else experience this?

Old 10-29-2011, 04:58 PM
Old Bugger
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah! Sounds like crap doesn't it! I road from Indiana to Maggie Valley NC. Was in the Wheels Through Time Museum for 3 hours. When I came out, several riders were looking at my Limited and asked a few of the standard questions: How do I like it? Is the power better than the 96? The color really pops in the sun! etc. etc. When I started it they all backed off saying what the hell is that noise? Very Embarrassing!! H-d probably lost a few potential sales after I told them about the trouble I've had with this motor.

Old 10-29-2011, 08:32 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,586 Posts

Originally Posted by scooty
They put a new cam support plate in a few weeks ago and it did not help, they did call Friday and agreed to put in a set of Fueling lifters if the "C" lifters are BO there is no point in putting in another set. Also the bike has good oil pressure about 40 psi at idle cold but when you start it cold you would swear that there is not a drop of oil in it and as it idles for 20 seconds or so it gradually quiets down, to me this sounds like a classic case of lifters bleeding down and having to pump back up and if you shut it off and let it set for 5 minutes then start it again it will thrash again but not as bad or for as long as the lifters have not had enough time to bleed down as bad. I have a 2000 Heritage that sat all winter and didn't make a fraction of the noise that this 103 makes. I have had several Harleys and I know how they sound and this 2011 is not normal.
Good news the dealer is trying to make it right but say NO to the Fueling lifters. A set of Comp Cams VThunder are cheaper and, if the lifters are the problem, the Comp Cams lifters will solve the problem.

I have been talking with a local builder/porter/tuner that has been building racing (Pro Gas) Harleys for many years, one of the best in the country. He has run into this problem with the 103" and the 110" but the problem is not lifters, it's piston slap. He has found several with piston fitment issues. Solution is to hone cylinders to fit .010" OS pistons.

So, if lifters don't solve the problem and I hope the do but am thinking now that they won't, you know where to look next. Quality on the "C" lifters is a problem but it would be unlikely that all four are bleeding down from quality issues.