Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Pro Pipe High Output thoughts.

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 08:33 PM
Sadthorn
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pro Pipe High Output thoughts.

Hi, I just got my vance and hines pro pipe high output for my crossbones today. I have to say it looks better built in photos than in person. The paint is super thin and easily scratched. My black HD SE heat shields are tough as nails compared the paint coating on the pro pipe H.O. The heat shields have already turned the black paint grey. So I don't think they will be black for much longer.

When I tuned the ECM for the cams and SE exhaust I got it to produce a nice even color on the spark plugs and 02 sensors. I am going to clean them and retune for this exhaust to get the same results.

Installation was easy and the heat shields lined up nicely. The section where the muffler attaches to the header pipes is loose fitting and allows exhaust to leak from each header pipe. I thought this was a one piece set up until I got it. I think I will make some small gaskets for each header pipe to assist sealing the exhaust leaks. This is technically "a race pipe". So I am sure that's why the header/muffler section is loose as is. A racer doesn't care if there are exhaust leaks when you are blasting down the track since the majority of it is blowing straight out the back anyways.

To me this is too loud for the street. It registers 98 dbl at idle with an app from my iphone and sure sounds every bit loud to my ears as well. It's straight through design is a 2 into 1 drag pipe, not a streetable 2 into 1 sound level tuned street pipe. I will be modifying the baffle core to reduce sound level output since I am handy welding thin steel.

I do like the ground clearance increase of the single muffler over my lower hanging 2 into 2 SE's I had on it before. It's also nice to be able to access the rear caliper and remove it with out removing the exhaust. Another really nice feature is now my girlfriends foot is above the exhaust rather than along side of it. Should increase her comfort level if the sound level doesn't get to it first.

Old 07-28-2011, 11:53 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 132 Likes on 105 Posts

Use high temp silicone on the slip joints, it will seal it long enough for the carbon the do the job, thats what really seals those slip joints, carbon. The name High Output , should have been your first clue that power, not quiet was the priority in building that system.

Old 07-29-2011, 05:11 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 587 Posts

Originally Posted by Sadthorn
Hi, I just got my vance and hines pro pipe high output for my crossbones today. I have to say it looks better built in photos than in person. The paint is super thin and easily scratched. My black HD SE heat shields are tough as nails compared the paint coating on the pro pipe H.O. The heat shields have already turned the black paint grey. So I don't think they will be black for much longer.

When I tuned the ECM for the cams and SE exhaust I got it to produce a nice even color on the spark plugs and 02 sensors. I am going to clean them and retune for this exhaust to get the same results.

Installation was easy and the heat shields lined up nicely. The section where the muffler attaches to the header pipes is loose fitting and allows exhaust to leak from each header pipe. I thought this was a one piece set up until I got it. I think I will make some small gaskets for each header pipe to assist sealing the exhaust leaks. This is technically "a race pipe". So I am sure that's why the header/muffler section is loose as is. A racer doesn't care if there are exhaust leaks when you are blasting down the track since the majority of it is blowing straight out the back anyways.

To me this is too loud for the street. It registers 98 dbl at idle with an app from my iphone and sure sounds every bit loud to my ears as well. It's straight through design is a 2 into 1 drag pipe, not a streetable 2 into 1 sound level tuned street pipe. I will be modifying the baffle core to reduce sound level output since I am handy welding thin steel.

I do like the ground clearance increase of the single muffler over my lower hanging 2 into 2 SE's I had on it before. It's also nice to be able to access the rear caliper and remove it with out removing the exhaust. Another really nice feature is now my girlfriends foot is above the exhaust rather than along side of it. Should increase her comfort level if the sound level doesn't get to it first.

We've installed about 1/2 dozen of those.
Folks in this neck of the woods love 'em.
Scott

Old 08-21-2011, 01:00 PM
Sadthorn
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I am used to the sound level now, more so that my girlfriend is all smiles and ready to jump on! I have retuned it, only some mild adjustments to low rpm ranges on the AFR tables and adjusted closed throttle fuel to make sure there's no popping on decel. I found some soft copper rings to fit in the inlets of the muffler and reclamped the exhaust together. No more exhaust leak! It sounds great and I am still holding 48 mpg during normal riding.

Last edited by Sadthorn; 08-21-2011 at 01:02 PM.