Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

more horse power

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011 | 08:57 AM
hacker19
|
6th Gear
Default more horse power

looking to do cams and gears on my 2000 standard but would like to do top end, carb and heads but dont know alot about motors ant suggestions? Want to go with S&S or SE

Old 07-24-2011 | 10:15 AM
roadkingharry
Road Captain

What's your budget in US dollars? Let's say your budget is $1000.00 (US). To get some of what you want, you'll have to do the wrenching, sending your heads and jugs out for re-working. If your budget is $3000., obviously more possibilities with out-sourcing for labor. Any particular reason you're stuck on S&S and SE? There are limitations on using gear-driven cams, your crank has to be checked for runout (.003 max).Difficult to answer these type of questions without knowing budget.

Old 07-24-2011 | 11:04 AM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Community Team

2000 models have near bullet proof lower units; hot forged cranks and Timken tapered crank bearing. You should have crank runout checked as part of the rebuild process but it is probably less than .003". Having said that, the SE Hybrid cam plate/roller chain setup is much easier to install and will save a few $$. The package also includes hydraulic tensioners and upgraded oil pump; a very nice upgrade. You can get that package, along with a set of Andrews cams for about $700 from American Classic Motors.

Send your cylinders out to be bored to fit a set of SE cast flat top pistons; bore to 3.875" for 95" displacement.

Send your heads to BigBoyz for his "street" port job and decking to provide compression he recommends for the Andrews 37 cams.

Get a set of SE Quick Install tapered adjustable pushrods and put it together with a .030" head gasket.

Install a good fuel management system as recommended by your local dyno tuner. Get a "break in" tune, put 500 to 1000 miles on the motor and take her back for a full dynot tune. 100+ torque and high 90s horsepower guaranteed; it will be fun to ride and very dependable.

There are lot of other ways to skin the cat but the above combination has been around a while and consistently produces great performance for the $$.

Old 07-24-2011 | 12:35 PM
hacker19
|
6th Gear

Originally Posted by roadkingharry
What's your budget in US dollars? Let's say your budget is $1000.00 (US). To get some of what you want, you'll have to do the wrenching, sending your heads and jugs out for re-working. If your budget is $3000., obviously more possibilities with out-sourcing for labor. Any particular reason you're stuck on S&S and SE? There are limitations on using gear-driven cams, your crank has to be checked for runout (.003 max).Difficult to answer these type of questions without knowing budget.
Buget about 4000 but would like to do cams, top end, carb, heads, and breather. Bin looking a s&s 95 inch hot set-up kit what u think? Me and my buddys like to do are own wrenching but we have never done any job this big. Is it hard to do?

Old 07-24-2011 | 12:41 PM
hacker19
|
6th Gear

Originally Posted by djl
2000 models have near bullet proof lower units; hot forged cranks and Timken tapered crank bearing. You should have crank runout checked as part of the rebuild process but it is probably less than .003". Having said that, the SE Hybrid cam plate/roller chain setup is much easier to install and will save a few $$. The package also includes hydraulic tensioners and upgraded oil pump; a very nice upgrade. You can get that package, along with a set of Andrews cams for about $700 from American Classic Motors.

Send your cylinders out to be bored to fit a set of SE cast flat top pistons; bore to 3.875" for 95" displacement.

Send your heads to BigBoyz for his "street" port job and decking to provide compression he recommends for the Andrews 37 cams.

Get a set of SE Quick Install tapered adjustable pushrods and put it together with a .030" head gasket.

Install a good fuel management system as recommended by your local dyno tuner. Get a "break in" tune, put 500 to 1000 miles on the motor and take her back for a full dynot tune. 100+ torque and high 90s horsepower guaranteed; it will be fun to ride and very dependable.

There are lot of other ways to skin the cat but the above combination has been around a while and consistently produces great performance for the $$.
Got about 4000 to spend and want to do the work myself but have never taken on a project this big. I want to go with gear drive cam, fresh top end 95 inch if it will ft my buget and make a difference, heads, carb, and new breather. let me know what you would do. Thanks

Old 07-24-2011 | 02:03 PM
roadkingharry
Road Captain

I only had $1500 in my budget so you're sitting pretty with $4000. You can go to 98" with your cylinders, I would. Some of the sponsors here like Hillside in NY can bore your jugs to 98" and they use Wiseco forged pistons. Hillside is a full service machine shop so they can take care of your heads,to whatever stage you want, as well. Do the disassembly and assembly yourself if you have confidence in your basic mechanical ability. The main thing is proper planning and don't rush.You need to use the service manual,a good inch/pound torque wrench and a few other specialized tools. I'd do what djl suggested and go with the upgraded cam plate/oil pump setup and the Andrews 37 cams. But,if you want gear-driven cams,once you have the cam plate off, check the crank runout before you order cams, you need a dial indicator. There are threads on here that explain that. I'm sure Scott from Hillside and some of the other shops will post on here for more info. You may want to consider a 2-1 exhaust and you'll need a clutch upgrade since you'll be over 100 HP/100 TQ. The stock rejetted CV carb is a good one although some guys use the Mikuni 42. SE, Doherty or Arlen Ness intakes are all good. A Daytona Twin Tech ignition may be needed, depends on who you talk to. You won't recognize your own bike the 1st time you ride it. Good luck.

Old 07-24-2011 | 03:00 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Community Team

Originally Posted by hacker19
Got about 4000 to spend and want to do the work myself but have never taken on a project this big. I want to go with gear drive cam, fresh top end 95 inch if it will ft my buget and make a difference, heads, carb, and new breather. let me know what you would do. Thanks
I just oulined what I would do and you can do it for half of your budget. Your stock CV carb will get you the 100/100 numbers but with the extra $$ you have, the SE CV44 carb and intake would be a nice addition. Get the H-D tuner kit with several pilot jets, main jets and needles; the pilot jet is likely where you will be making adjustments; start with a #45, 195 main and stock needle. Jetting will likley be a little lean but lean is better than rich with a new top end. Personally, I would stick with the CV and avoid the Mikuni; you should be able to find a CV44 on Ebay for a reasonable price.

A V&H Propipe and a DTT progammable ignition as RKH suggested will complete the package.

The decision to bore to 95" or 98" is your call. Sending cylinders to an outfit like Hillside and let the furnish and fit the pistons would be a good way to go. You will need to have cam selected and head work sorted out so Hillside will know how much to shave off the dome of the Wiseco pistons (I believe they are domed). Or let Hillside match up a set of their heads with your cylinders/pistons.

You have plenty of money and lots of options.

Old 07-24-2011 | 04:14 PM
prodrag1320
Banned

go with the gear drive for sure,lots of guys on here to bore cylinders & do heads(like us!!)

Old 07-24-2011 | 05:30 PM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor

Originally Posted by hacker19
looking to do cams and gears on my 2000 standard but would like to do top end, carb and heads but dont know alot about motors ant suggestions? Want to go with S&S or SE
How much do you weigh??
2-up riding/touring??
With these questions answered, we can then begin to put togather a tailored combo, just what your looking for.
Scott

Old 07-24-2011 | 08:02 PM
Wild Grover
Cruiser

Head Quarters is over in Ontario, might want to check them out. Go here www.protwin.com for starters and check out their forum for any questions. Great kits!!

Quick Reply: more horse power