Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Khrome Werks slip-ons

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006 | 09:16 PM
warren888
|
Account Suspended
Default Khrome Werks slip-ons

I just installed Khrome werks 3" HP Plus slip-ons - have SE stage 1 a/c & stage 1 download.

I wanted to change out the stock pipes to be a bit louder, because I couldn't hear the bike at highway speeds, and I specifically chose Khrome Werks because they were supposed to have a deep sound, but not that loud.

Anyway - I just took the bike out for a quick test ride and it seemed really really loud to me. The Khrome Werks baffles aren't what I expected, you can see right through the muffler (the baffles have perforated areas with fiberglass packing - but there is almost nothing in the way of the exhaust path).

So - does anyone have experience with these? Any idea how they compare to other high performance slip-ons. I was interested in V&H Straight shot slip ons, but I avoided them for fear of being too loud.

I don't have enough experience with various pipes to know if I am just not used to the extra sound, or if these are as loud as I feel they are??

Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

Old 11-10-2006 | 07:57 AM
mrgrinch
Advanced
Default RE: Khrome Werks slip-ons

I've had their 2.5" HP+ on a Dyna and 3"HP+ on a Street Glide. In my opinion, both sets were middle-of-the-road as far as loudness goes. I have had a FatCat and several other sets of slip-ons that were louder. I really like the Khromewerks tone. The bass sound with lack of raspiness sounds good to me. If you want something only slightly louder than stock but will increase performance, check out the police interceptor mufflers from D&D. I've never heard them but they look interesting. http://www.danddexhaust.com/catalog/2006/04/40814b.htm

Old 11-11-2006 | 07:51 PM
warren888
|
Account Suspended

Thanks... I have a dyna, and I don't think the interceptors are available for it.

But I was able to compare my new pipes with some friends today. I'm just not used to the sound of non-stock pipes. I think the Khrome Werks are similar to SE II, maybe just a tad louder. Definitely not as loud as my friend's V&H (even with his quiet baffles).

I love the Khrome Werks tone though - really excellent.

All in all I'm very pleased with them.

My ideal would be something mid way between an SE I and SE II in terms of loudness, but I don't think anyone makes anything like that.

Old 11-11-2006 | 08:18 PM
XL4me
Cruiser

I have a set of KromeWerks HP+ slip-ons, installing them, as we speak...........

and I can't get the freaking
"Caution, for closed course use only..." sticker off !!!!
I've tried WD-40, Brake cleaner, Sticker remover !
It just flakes off, a speck at a time....... Any idea ???????

Old 11-11-2006 | 08:30 PM
warren888
|
Account Suspended

No - I noticed mine was on nice and permanently as well. Since the pipes run hot, I'm sure heat won't do it either.

I'll have to give Khrome Werks a call and ask them for suggestions. I'm sure we're not the first interested in removing it.

Old 11-12-2006 | 03:46 PM
Chief101
Road Captain

I was considering the Khrome Werks HP+ 2.5's prior to installing my SE Pro's. Mine are loud enough, but kinda "tinny" sounding. Are the khrome Werks "deeper"? May still go that route....just havent had the opportunity to actually hear any yet.

Old 11-12-2006 | 03:51 PM
warren888
|
Account Suspended

Yes, I think they have a deeper tone. I compared mine yesterday to a friend who has older SE II... and the sound is deeper and roughly the same loudness.

Khrome Werks uses a special baffle design. Apparently the sound waves from the exhaust travel radially from the direction of exhaust flow, so their baffles have special shapes & perforations that lead to a fiberglass packed chamber around the baffle. it was designed so that the high frequency part of the sound returns and cancels out the high frequency from the engine - but the actual flow has no restrictions so the performace levels are very high.

I do like the tone very much - but it is obviously a very personal thing.

one of my frustrations was not being able to find someone locally who has these pipes so I can hear them. They don't spend much on advertising (a smaller company), so not one of the big names.

I am impressed with their workmanship though - and you can call and speak to someone who knows something about the product.

I would go for the 3" version though if you're interested in a low deep sound (they are lower than than the 2.5").

I don't think the 3" are available through dealers yet - so you need to order those direct from Khrome werks.

Their web is www.khromewerks.com

Old 11-12-2006 | 08:05 PM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: XL4me

I have a set of KromeWerks HP+ slip-ons, installing them, as we speak...........

I got it off by carefully pealing it off without tearing it. (seems like its metallic) then used alchohol to get glue off. was afraid sticker or glue would melt and discolor pipe.[sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 11-13-2006 | 05:48 PM
warren888
|
Account Suspended

ORIGINAL: XL4me

I just spoke with Khrome Werks.

It is affixed using a special high-temperature glue. Very difficult to get off. They did not have any knowledge of how to do it (no helpful hints).

I'm going to try a special solvent we have in my business - and see if it breaks the glue. Will let you know.

Old 11-14-2006 | 11:37 PM
XL4me
Cruiser

$12.99 Blow Dryer (from Wal-Mart), heat slowly / evenly (takes a while), peels off in big pieces - if not one big piece, Goo Gone and some elbow grease...., clean Goo Gone off w/ Windex....., Done Deal !!!![sm=happy046.gif]

Looks Good !! Sounds GREAT !!!! [sm=wootwoot.gif][sm=smiley20.gif][sm=coolness.gif]

Quick Reply: Khrome Werks slip-ons