Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

6th vs 5th at 100 kph

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 12:16 PM
LastHalf
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I temporarily removed this post to reword with more care and paste back in later - it was done quickly and even confused me when I re-read it! Didn't want any more people to read it than already had until I organize it to be easier to follow without repeating myself.

Last edited by LastHalf; 07-20-2011 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Temporarily removed to reword
Old 07-20-2011, 12:25 PM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

All OK

When you are new to this sector of motorcycling, Hd's and how to have fun with them, and are interested---

The learning curve it straight up.

Old 07-20-2011, 12:26 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,602 Posts

Good luck with your upgrades and I hope you have a safe and uneventful trip. Please let us know how it all turns out but suggest you do that by starting another thread.

Old 07-20-2011, 12:31 PM
streetg131
Tourer

I think what djl was saying, and he gave LOTS of helpful info, was that with the Fuelpak AND the HD download to adress timing, you should be OK.
Have a good trip.

Old 07-20-2011, 01:13 PM
LastHalf
Cruiser

Originally Posted by djl
Good luck with your upgrades and I hope you have a safe and uneventful trip. Please let us know how it all turns out but suggest you do that by starting another thread.
Thanks and yes new thread for sure! This one started out asking about 6th gear for 100 kph and got way of course once I decided to to an upgrade vs simply replace in kind.

Old 07-20-2011, 01:15 PM
LastHalf
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Old Gunny
All OK

When you are new to this sector of motorcycling, Hd's and how to have fun with them, and are interested---

The learning curve it straight up.
Yes it seems that way!

Old 07-20-2011, 01:22 PM
LastHalf
Cruiser

Originally Posted by streetg131
I think what djl was saying, and he gave LOTS of helpful info, was that with the Fuelpak AND the HD download to adress timing, you should be OK.
Have a good trip.
Yes he sure did and all that info took time to word/type out for me. I just spoke with the mechanic, who's crazy busy so I was brief in explaining what the V&H tech said, and determined we misunderstood each other. He had thought I was asking if timing is changed and he said it was (though through the Harley Stage II ECM upgrade...though at first he said the Stage I upgrade goes with it so I questioned him saying I heard it needs a different upgrade than Stage I as you'd expect due to the cam, and he said then yes they'd do that but that was mildly concerning), when I had asked if the FuelPack programming adjusts the timing. Even though I should be okay, as djl suggested I'm keeping booster with me. I'll also mute the stereo ever so often especially when load changes on hills etc. in case I hear the dreaded ping since it can be quite faint.

Have a good August everyone....can't wait to start riding!

Last edited by LastHalf; 07-20-2011 at 01:25 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:23 AM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior

Something I have forgotten all about here about that thing---

the late model FI Harley has a Ion sensing thing built into the ECM. Within 2-3 revolutions of a preignition sensed, the ECM cuts 2, up to 8, degrees of timing.

Unless you lugh the devil out of this machine--say going slow over a railroad track in the wrong gear you will RARELY hear the preignition.

As a aside and to adress tunners---The TTS, and some others I think, uses this to help set the timing tables when you tune yourself or use a dyno.

BUT THAT IS ANOTHER SUBJIC

Last edited by Old Gunny; 07-21-2011 at 08:27 AM.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:32 AM
LastHalf
Cruiser

Thanks for that. I read in the article (link posted earlier) that you never hear pre-ignition (literally pre-spark ignition due to hot spot somewhere in the compression stroke from BDC up to ignition so before the spark) anyway, but it's the detonation after spark that knocks/pings. I heard too that these have detonation sensors but someone on here say they try to address detonation by retarding the timing. So maybe that's what you meant, that within 2-3 revs of detonation, the ECM cuts x degrees of timing. That said I heard tinkling and either that was detonation that was due to hot spots around the piston perimeter or at a glowing hot exhaust valve etc. igniting end gases after the spark ignition for a second flame front, and therefore not able to be addressed by timing changes, OR it was able to be addressed by timing changes but would have been a lot louder than the faint tinkling I heard if it weren't for the response by the ECM. Finally there's the possibility that my detonation sensor and/or the ECM response was not functioning properly because I think my lead piston was destoryed along the side of it by detonation. The dealer said pre-ignition caused the damage, but I heard the telltale sounds of detonation from which the 'pinging' term must have come, not to mention I read in the same article that pre-ignition destroys an engine in seconds while the pinging sounds were off and on through my entire trip (I'd back out of throttle or take load off when I heard it, but also had the stereo cranked with ZZ Top a lot of the way so....) so I gradually destroyed my piston by the sharp pressure spikes equal to hitting it with a sledgehammer every so often. I know how my head would look if someone hit me in the head with sledgehammer only every so often anyway, even if they backed off after realizing they were doing it unless they got carried away with some good music as a soundtrack. Plus that article said pre-ignition can or usually does result in a hole burned into the piston which did not happen in this case - rather it looked like a woodchuck chewed the side of it from the top edge down.

Old 07-22-2011, 08:17 AM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior

Well its all a process.

What can help with the temp of the engine?

I run a Jagg cooler with theromast control. Opend around 175 Degrees F.

I run a TTS to keep a little richer. Even at 14'6 AFR because I set the Bias for each cylinder a little richer/ runs maybe 14.2-3 maybe.

My closed loop is set to cover highway and normal cruising but when I get out of that it goes open loop and to 13.2 AFR---Or less at higher RPMs

I get 42-43 MPH.

I run a Biesely oil pressure spring to keep oil pressure as high as reasonable. Not so much for the bottom end but more for the top end. More oil up there takes heat away.
And for the Piston Cooling Jets.---

I run amsoil 20-50 in the winter and Redline 20-60 in the Summer.

My oil temperator, even with these bad Texas Heat wave summer, has never go over 215-220.

Quick Reply: 6th vs 5th at 100 kph