Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

6th vs 5th at 100 kph

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 10:38 AM
LastHalf
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by streetg131
Q. Can the Fuelpak increase my rev limiter?

A. No, the Fuelpak will not control/adjust idle speed, ignition timing, or rev limit

This was copied from V+H's website FAQ section for the fuelpak. Not trying to monkey wrench your plan, just want you to have correct info. Possibly there have been updates to the fuelpak and the FAQ was not yet updated? It's the last FAQ question on the site.

Good Luck
Okay thanks - its not what I wanted to hear but it's important that I did. Is there a date on the last FAQ question? You'd think they would update such things when they become obsolete by any advancements they make. Then again djl did say their customer service and presumably customer interfaces like an FAQ section is lacking.....hopefully (which seems strange to say)! Thanks for that as I can question the dealer about it, and perhaps they've been misled by the technician or are simply mistaken. I doubt the latter though as this is what they've been using for some time and he seems very confident/competent. If true though, I really should insist that any problem I have with pinging that requires timing changes that FuelPack cannot address should result in my getting my money back for it to put towards the necessary unit. If that happens within the span of my 3-4 week trip and compromises my trip, it is still basically like new and they can somehow make use of it, perhaps by selling it at a reduced price to someone else. Especially given I'd received warnings I passed on to them and wanted another type but they insisted it'll be fine (and that timing changes are programmed along with fuel). Problem with that is I'll be down in 100F weather trying to find another controller/tune but hopefully SOME dealer will have something in stock that will do the job.

Last edited by LastHalf; 07-20-2011 at 10:47 AM.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:59 AM
streetg131
Tourer

No date but here's the link

http://www.fuelpakfi.com/vtwin/faq.html

I can't remember if you decided to go with the 255's or not, if not, my guess is if you don't you should be fine with the fuelpak, just watch the low RPM roll-on's. One of the more knowledgable guys here can probably answer this better. I have those 255's in my 110 bagger and they are a pretty nice torque cam although I've never tried another cam in the bike so I'm comparing it to nothing except the fact that it pulls pretty good down low. I also had to add a SERT and a full dynotune to dial the bike in. It ran pretty crappy B4 the dyno.

Last edited by streetg131; 07-20-2011 at 11:01 AM.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:04 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,602 Posts

Originally Posted by LastHalf
Thanks! Some more good reading....I'm at work so that'll have to wait for tonight.

In fact I asked the dealer if this capability is recent and he said it wasn't - though 'recent' is a relative term that I didn't define during our short conversation. Recent to him might be in the past year while only 2 years ago they could only adjust fuel, but feedback from shops, customers and the market/competition encouraged them to add this feature else lose customers such as yourself and others on sites discussing controller capabilities.
Your dealer is mistaken, the FuelPak does not have the ability to adjust timing; it works with the factory timing curve but cannot change it. Go back to #66 and read the posts I referenced. There is a guy that goes by JeffyTune that is a big FuelPak fan. He did a 103" upgrade with 255 cams on his 2007 FLHT; the related threads are back about page 86 or so; might be interesting reading and good reference material for you.

If you are concerned about pining on your trip don't install the 255 cams now. Set the FuelPak up for a Stage I 103" motor and wait until you return to install the cams. V&H does have a map for the 103" with 255 cams, but as I understand it, the factory Stage II/103 ECM download is required as it will adjust the factory timing curve for the 255 cams. So, you have two choices, don't install cams now and set the FuelPak up for a Stage I 103" motor, or install the 255 cams, flash your ECM with the Stage II ECM download and program the FuelPak with the V&H FP-1106 map. If you do have cams installed, make sure your dealer talks to V&H to be sure he has the right factory download for the ignition curve and the latest V&H map for the 103" with 255 cams.

Oh yeah, don't forget the octane boost.

Last edited by djl; 07-20-2011 at 11:21 AM.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:09 AM
LastHalf
Cruiser

No date but here's the link

http://www.fuelpakfi.com/vtwin/faq.html

I can't remember if you decided to go with the 255's or not, if not, my guess is if you don't you should be fine with the fuelpak, just watch the low RPM roll-on's. One of the more knowledgable guys here can probably answer this better. I have those 255's in my 110 bagger and they are a pretty nice torque cam although I've never tried another cam in the bike so I'm comparing it to nothing except the fact that it pulls pretty good down low. I also had to add a SERT and a full dynotune to dial the bike in. It ran pretty crappy B4 the dyno.
Thanks I'll go there and have a read though I don't think I need to. That's because I felt bad having you guys doing my legwork for me, so phoned tech support (FuelPack) who said you guys are right and the dealer is wrong or he misunderstood. Maybe he thought I meant the timing of the fuel 'squirt'? I got the contact number and read a bit here:

http://www.fuelpakfi.com/vtwin/aboutfuelpak.html

Yes I opted to keep the 255 cam that comes with the standard Stage II 103 kit, assuming they know what they're doing when assembling the kit and that that cam suits the needs of the majority of riders. Especially since riding a tourer I assumed a torque cam is a no-brainer when it very well may not be. When you say low end, you mean rpm up to _______'? I'm hoping its up to say 4000 rpm anyway. I'll be careful with low rpm roll-ons, even though the catalogue implies the 255 specializes in such situations, unless I misread it.

What's a SERT? A Screamin Eagle......fuel and ignition controller? When you say you needed a dyno to get it running properly, do you mean it was binging before the dyno tune or it just wasn't reaching near it's power potential?

Old 07-20-2011, 11:18 AM
streetg131
Tourer

SERT - screaming eagle race tuner , HD's version of fuel injection management, just like the Power Commander that has been mentioned. When I said "low RPM roll on's I was referring to the 2150 area you mentioned earlier, I think your already squared away on that. My bike with the 255 pulls strong from 2700 ish right up as high as I need it. It's known to drop off early but it works OK for my needs, and I like riding my bike pretty hard on occasion. ...... Good Luck!

What's a SERT? A Screamin Eagle......fuel and ignition controller? When you say you needed a dyno to get it running properly, do you mean it was binging before the dyno tune or it just wasn't reaching near it's power potential?

Both, it was a bit pingy B4 tune, it could be controlled w/riding style but not totally eliminated.

Last edited by streetg131; 07-20-2011 at 11:21 AM.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:21 AM
LastHalf
Cruiser

Originally Posted by djl
Your dealer is mistaken, the FuelPak does not have the ability to adjust timing; it works with the factory timing curve but cannot change it. If you are concerned about pining on your trip, don't install the 255 cams now. Set the FuelPak up for a Stage I 103" motor and wait until you return to install the cams. V&H does have a map for the 103" with 255 cams, but as I understand it, the factory Stage I ECM upgrade is required as it will adjust the factory timing curve.
Thanks, as you can see by my most recent post I just confirmed there's no timing adjustment with them (FuelPack) even in the programming stage. However they did say they extensively road test the programming with that very bike (08 EG) in hot conditions where they are located, with the 103 Stage II with 255 cam and it is proven to be ping-proof. He must have programmed it for a 103 with 255 cams, he said it would have been a 1690 legal download for 103 and 255 cams so assuming the dealer is going to do the factory Stage I ECM upgrade to adjust the factory timing curve.

You can probably understand why I'm confused between the dealer, V&H's supposedly rigorous testing in all conditions with no problems with this setup, and the well-meaning advice from experienced people on this forum.

Old 07-20-2011, 11:29 AM
LastHalf
Cruiser

SERT - screaming eagle race tuner , HD's version of fuel injection management, just like the Power Commander that has been mentioned. When I said "low RPM roll on's I was referring to the 2150 area you mentioned earlier, I think your already squared away on that. My bike with the 255 pulls strong from 2700 ish right up as high as I need it. It's known to drop off early but it works OK for my needs, and I like riding my bike pretty hard on occasion. ...... Good Luck!

Both, it was a bit pingy B4 tune, it could be controlled w/riding style but not totally eliminated.
Okay.....I find it odd that the dealer (or any dealer for that matter) wouldn't use the SERT rather than branching off to use a FuelPack. Perhaps they felt the FuelPack was superier/simpler or something. The FuelPack site claims its super simple to use and can add OR REDUCE fuel which may be an advantage over the SERT as well, with the drawback being no timing adjustment. Anyway if the FuelPack can't eliminate the ping you had using SERT on your 110 with 255 cam, I'll change my riding style until I can get a dyno tune, and you're right I'm completely squared away and then some with the 2150 thing so there'll be no problem with low rpm roll-ons. I almost have nightmares with the digits 2150 haunting me at night. Sounds like when you say strong low end torque you mean around 2700 then, okay. I'm sure if the 255 is good enough for you it'll be good enough for little 'ol inexperienced me who's always had stock stuff and was fine with stock power until I started trying to make lemonade out of lemons by fooling myself that this was a power upgrade all along rather than a 10 hour engine repair.

Old 07-20-2011, 11:39 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,602 Posts

Originally Posted by LastHalf
He must have programmed it for a 103 with 255 cams, he said it would have been a 1690 legal download for 103 and 255 cams so assuming the dealer is going to do the factory Stage I ECM upgrade to adjust the factory timing curve.

You can probably understand why I'm confused between the dealer, V&H's supposedly rigorous testing in all conditions with no problems with this setup, and the well-meaning advice from experienced people on this forum.
You are confused because you have not done the research to make an informed decision on your behalf. You are talking to the dealer, V&H and well meaning advisors that have no first hand experience with the FuelPak. I am not a FuelPak user but have done extensive research a couple of years back on the product to determine whether or not it would work for my applications. It does not work for me but there are many users that are quite happy with the product, most of which have not gone beyond Stage I upgrades. If you had done the same research I have done, you would know this, would not be confused and could talk to the dealer tech with confidence.

The Stage II 103/255 kit requires the separate purchas of a factory ECM to upgrade, upgrade, among other things, the stock ignition curve; different from the Stage I ECM upgrade. The appropriate factory ECM upgrade accompanied by the appropriate V&H fuel curve for the Stage II 103/255 cam kit should work for your motor but I would still take the octane boost along on the trip.

Honestly, I am growing weary of this thread but feel obligated to try and keep you from shooting yourself in the foot.

BTW and FYI, the SERT is probably the best fuel management system available today. The TTS Mastertune is an upgrade to the SERT and was developed by Steve Cole, the same guy that developed the SERT. The TTS is more user friendly and has more bells and whistles than the SERT but, at the end of the day, both will provide an optimum state of tune; the SERT is just less user friendly and takes an experienced tuner to work with it.

Tuners like the FuelPak and Power Commander are throttle position based while tuners like the SERT and TTS are speed density systems. The FuelPak and Power Commander are "piggy back" systems that "trick" the ECM into delivering fuel. The SERT and TTS actuall re-program the ECM. The only advantage the piggy back systems offer is that should the Fuel Pak or PC fail, you can remove them and run on the factory ECM and get home or to someplace the piggy back system can be replaced/repaired. If a SERT or TTS ECM fails, you are dead in the water until you can get a new ECM.

Last edited by djl; 07-20-2011 at 11:54 AM.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:43 AM
streetg131
Tourer

I think the SERT is pricier than the Fuelpak plus you have to pay for the Dyno time, AND find someone who is a good tuner, which can be the hardest part. The SERT changes Air/Fuel ratios and timing, probably some other stuff as well.

Old 07-20-2011, 12:16 PM
LastHalf
Cruiser

I think the SERT is pricier than the Fuelpak plus you have to pay for the Dyno time, AND find someone who is a good tuner, which can be the hardest part. The SERT changes Air/Fuel ratios and timing, probably some other stuff as well.
Thanks. Hopefully I can still benefit from dyno time (tuning) with the FuelPack...if only to adjust the fuel if necessary.

Quick Reply: 6th vs 5th at 100 kph