Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

here is what the mechanic found

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 07:01 PM
remmag
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default here is what the mechanic found

ok i will make this short as possible
have been trcing valve train noise since new cams ,screaming eagle billet plate were installed
i had taken the bike to a different shop, he thought the noise was wear in the valve system and guaranteed if i did a bg bore job he would get the noise out, well it didnt
after meeting with him he tore into the camchest on his dime
he found the outer cam chain had been rubbing the case cover, a little metal debree there,when he removed the new cam plate and inspected the unit and there was some wear where the oil pump meets it, there was actually paint worn off, one of the clips that goes on the cams was missing, when he rotated the cams (plate out of the bike there is a tight spot in the chain, have not determined if cams or chain
he also checked the crank run out and it was ou 6 thousandths, he thinks (but not sure) the crank runout was effecting the unit because the cam plate is so much beefier than the original cam plate
for now he has put my old cam plate with new tensioners back in , old cams back in
i am supposed to go back and listen and pick the bike up tomorrow and see how the noise level is and how it runs , then determine what to do

he does not have a set of instructions for the screaming eagle cam plate,i was hoping one of you guys could help with this

it was alot of info and hope i got all this right

will post back tomorrow and let you guys know how it does

thanks guys

03 roadking

Old 07-16-2011, 06:58 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

You and he could have found this on Harley's website, just as easily as I did!

Old 07-16-2011, 07:28 AM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Love my gear drive cams.

Steve

Old 07-16-2011, 07:37 AM
remmag
Cruiser

i found it last noght but thank you

he said my crank was out too far for gear drive cams

im not really sure what the next step will be ,guess i should have a better idea later today

thanks guys

Old 07-16-2011, 01:05 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Next step is to remove that crank and either install a different one thats welded, trued and balanced, or have that one welded trued and balanced. ANY other fix is a band aid. On THAT crank... total allowable run out is .0035

That crank is toast and all of your posts makes me REALLY wonder who the 'mechanic' is..... one who blows off .006 run out like its nothing and thinks a cam plate supports a crank. What a doofus. Your NEW camplate is ruined. PERIOD.

Last edited by wurk_truk; 07-16-2011 at 01:19 PM.
Old 07-16-2011, 02:20 PM
remmag
Cruiser

wurk turk
he did suggest that i replace the crank, however i am real short on funds after all the bull**** i have been through,he told me the max runout was 13 thousandths per harley on the crank

i plan on doing the crank the first of next year, he did say until i do the crank i need t leave the original cam plate in the bike
i do not think i implied that he thought the cam plate supported the crank, what i understood him to say was the cam plate is so much beefier than the original it may have been effecting the bike more from the run out on the crank

he also told me straight up he was unfamiliar with the new cam plates, he only does s@s gear drives

i picked up the bike today and it is as quiet it has ever been ,also runs great so far, he asked me to be easy with it for the first couple hundred mile and bring it back and he will change the oil and do a full dyno tune and discuss if i want to do anything as far as cams

please remember i am doing my best to communicate everything he tells me and it can be alsot of info, so far he has been the only person who has seemed to really care bout my problems with and be willing to find it, every one else i have taken it too ,including harley and the guy who put the cams and plate in all just say harley's are noisy

thanks everyone

Old 07-16-2011, 04:17 PM
32vld
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by remmag
i picked up the bike today and it is as quiet it has ever been ,also runs great so far, he asked me to be easy with it for the first couple hundred mile and bring it back and he will change the oil and do a full dyno tune and discuss if i want to do anything as far as cams

thanks everyone

If the crank is weak why would a mechanic change cams to get more power on an engine that has a weak crank?

Get you to do a whole rebuild for even more money when the engine goes south even that much sooner thanks to him.

Also a mechanic that only knows how to use one brandname of parts can't be that good.