Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Build Question Heads, HQ 500 cam, stock pistons

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 08:56 AM
blksoftail
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Build Question Heads, HQ 500 cam, stock pistons

I did the cams a while ago and am looking to take it a bit more.
I want to eventually go to a 107" but and thinking doing heads first with the stock 96" cams then later go to 107" cans and pistons.

My question is with the heads that someone builds for my stock 96 pistons and that cam would they work fine when I decide to go to the higher compression bigger pistons?

Or will I just need to get them reworked again and cost me more in the long run?

Old 07-15-2011, 09:22 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,219 Likes on 1,605 Posts

Originally Posted by blksoftail
I did the cams a while ago and am looking to take it a bit more.
I want to eventually go to a 107" but and thinking doing heads first with the stock 96" cams then later go to 107" cans and pistons.

My question is with the heads that someone builds for my stock 96 pistons and that cam would they work fine when I decide to go to the higher compression bigger pistons?
You will likely need to change cams. The increase in bore alone will bump corrected compression up by about .6; say, if now corrected CR is 9.0, it will increase to 9.6 which, IMHO, is too high for a street build. So, you would need a cam with a later intake close to keep the corrected CR within a tolerable range. You won't need high compression (domed) pistons, the increase in bore diameter should boost compression to workable level.

Static CR will remain the same, regadless of cam selection but corrected CR and cranking compression are dynamic and a function of the timing of the intake close event. Keepiing corected CR about 9.3 and cranking compression about 190 is a good target. You will need a cam that will generate those numbers with the increase in displacement.

Old 07-15-2011, 09:32 AM
blksoftail
Cruiser

I should have warned any poster, I have no clue :-)

I thought I remember Head-quarters saying this cam would do well at a 103, perhaps a 107 is too much?

Also do you think at my current setup if I just get a set of worked heads it would do any good for what I currently have or should I just wait until I'm ready to do a different cam, pistons, cans and head's all at once?

Old 07-15-2011, 09:51 AM
blksoftail
Cruiser

HQ-TC-500-HC Hurricane uses stock hydraulic chain tensioner system. This asymmetrical double patterned cam is an absolute winner as a bolt-in cam. It will increase power across the whole range and is compression friendly too. Designed as a bolt in replacement, it broadly enhances the power curve. If used in a 103 or larger motor (keeping compression at or below 10.5:1, this cam will still be compatible)
Intake 20/36 236 .500" lift
Exhaust 51/19 250 .500" lift

I guess the trick in using this cam and going with a 103 or 107 is making sure my heads and the rest of the build don't let the compression go too high. Hmmmmm

Old 07-15-2011, 11:07 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

I should have warned any poster, I have no clue :-)

I thought I remember Head-quarters saying this cam would do well at a 103, perhaps a 107 is too much?

Also do you think at my current setup if I just get a set of worked heads it would do any good for what I currently have or should I just wait until I'm ready to do a different cam, pistons, cans and head's all at once?
Ported heads are always good for at least a 10 point boost in TQ/HP. Those heads will work fine wiht an increase in displacement but, as I said in my previous, a cam change is likely to keep compression within reasonable limits.

Old 07-15-2011, 11:09 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

I guess the trick in using this cam and going with a 103 or 107 is making sure my heads and the rest of the build don't let the compression go too high. Hmmmmm
Yeah, it will be a trick.

Old 07-15-2011, 11:17 AM
blksoftail
Cruiser

Originally Posted by djl
Ported heads are always good for at least a 10 point boost in TQ/HP. Those heads will work fine wiht an increase in displacement but, as I said in my previous, a cam change is likely to keep compression within reasonable limits.
Ok, thanks for your patience and help.
I had been thinking of different cams anyway when I do go to a 107.
I like low end to mid range power but it seems some of the hotter cams are more mid to upper.
Perhaps with everything going up in displacement and power I will like the low end fine.

Old 07-15-2011, 11:30 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Ok, thanks for your patience and help. I had been thinking of different cams anyway when I do go to a 107. I like low end to mid range power but it seems some of the hotter cams are more mid to upper. Perhaps with everything going up in displacement and power I will like the low end fine.
There are plenty of cams that will provide low and midrange power if that's what you want. You are right about the incease in displacment; you will definitley feel an improvment in low end torque.