Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Thunder Monster baffles?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 04:28 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Thunder Monster baffles?

I have a 2005 Fat Boy SE 103 CI, with Samson,Rip Saws, exhaust. They were installed with power cones and the bike runs great. My only complaint is the excessively loud exhaust. The Rip Saws don't come with baffles. I just made up a set of "lollipops" to install at the aft end of the pipes, hoping they would quiet the exhaust just a bit. When I took off one of the heat shields to get some room to drill a hole for the lollipop, I noticed that the turned down end pieces are just clamped in place. I removed the end piece and now have access to install a baffle. (I had thought the pipe was one piece and wouldn't be able to install a baffle because the end turned down)
I started to look on the net for some type of mini baffle to install ( I.D. of pipe is 1 5/8"). I came across the Thunder Monster baffles that come in the right size. I realize that they are for adding torque due to loss of back pressure when running drag pipes.
They advertise that you will not have to re-tune if the system is already dialed in for the drag pipes.
Does anyone have any experience with these baffles? I was hoping, by them adding a bit more restriction, they might also knock a few decimals off my exhaust sound,versus no baffle at all.
I like a good healthy exhaust sound, but my current setup is just too LOUD.

Old 11-06-2006, 12:25 PM
ratzila
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Thunder Monster baffles?

Thomas I have the V&H big radius pipes on my 06 FXST. I took out the baffles to see how loud they would sound. It lasted a day. I liked the sound but hated the loss of power. I ended up ordering the thunder monster baffles & installed them. They gave me the backpressure and power but did not reduce the sound. It is still very loud. The stock baffles were a lot quieter than the TM's.

Old 11-06-2006, 06:49 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member

Ratzila,
Thanks for the reply.
I decided to try and tweak the exhaust sound myself. I used my camcorder to record the exhaust sound before I installed the lollipops. Than I installed the lollipops that are made up of a washer welded to a 1/4-20 screw and recorded the exhaust again.
My wife and neighbor say they could tell a difference and it was a shade quieter with the lollipops installed. Tomorrow I will ride the bike and keep my fingers crossed that it rides as good after me messing with it.
Tom

Old 11-11-2006, 03:01 AM
raven28690
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im running the thunder monsters in a set of V&H shortshots. main reason was the stock v&h baffles popped too much on decel. 80% of the popping is now gone but the exhaust is a bit more louder now with the thunders.

your going to notice a big difference in bottom end by running a baffle since you will be increasing back pressure which is a good thing.
the thunders would be a tad quieter than a straight pipe. btw, the thunders are more or less a modified version of a lollipop or at least the ones i ordered were.

Old 11-12-2006, 11:14 AM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member

I bought a set of copper pipe reducers 1-1/2" to 1" as suggested by" pococj " in the Drag Pipe How- To post in the top section of the exhaust forum. They should work basically the same as the thunder monster baffles, since I already have the lollipops installed.