Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Screamin Eagle Heavy Breather Vs. SE Ventilator Performance Air Cleaner Kit

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 02:42 PM
11wideglidet&k
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Screamin Eagle Heavy Breather Vs. SE Ventilator Performance Air Cleaner Kit

I own a 2011 Wideglide with Samson Slashers and a Power Commander V. I am wanting to give the bike more air flow. I am debating on one of these two...any one have any suggestions on which would fit my set up better?

Old 06-18-2011, 05:10 PM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

Either of them have the capability to flow more air than you need. You can now get a K&N filter for the Ventilator intake. One is more noticeable and the other is nice and flat. Basically it comes down to the $$ you want to spend and the look you're going after. I really like my Ventilator...

Old 06-19-2011, 08:43 AM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

From the verioius dyno runs I have seen, the HD Heavy Breather really flows well and is better than most. That being said, I currently run one on my Limited with Supertrapp exhaust, and at cruise, pulling a small grade, the intake noise is louder than my exhaust. I was surprised at how much intake noise there is when you open up the intake tract.

Old 06-19-2011, 02:30 PM
11wideglidet&k
2nd Gear

Thanks for your input guys!

Old 07-16-2011, 08:13 AM
03 Softail
Cruiser

Dalton
the intake noise you are talking about with the HD heavy breather may be the
problem that I have, I started out with the SE Ventalator A/C with that i noticed
a small amount of intake noise, but not that bad, but after putting on the HD Heavy
breather I thought that I had noisey injectors, valves etc. the noise I hear comes from
the right side and when you roll on the throttle you really notice the sound. like injectors
ratteling or valves
Is this what you nare expericing.
Thanks for any input, this noise has been driving me nuts.
Dan

Old 07-16-2011, 09:20 AM
HardyHarHarley
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 03 Softail
Dalton
the intake noise you are talking about with the HD heavy breather may be the
problem that I have, I started out with the SE Ventalator A/C with that i noticed
a small amount of intake noise, but not that bad, but after putting on the HD Heavy
breather I thought that I had noisey injectors, valves etc. the noise I hear comes from
the right side and when you roll on the throttle you really notice the sound. like injectors
ratteling or valves
Is this what you nare expericing.
Thanks for any input, this noise has been driving me nuts.
Dan
I have the Heavy Breather and you've described the same sound I hear from my intake area. And yes, at times it is just as loud as my exhaust note....like under a heavy load up a hill, etc.

Old 07-16-2011, 11:28 AM
03 Softail
Cruiser

Originally Posted by HardyHarHarley
I have the Heavy Breather and you've described the same sound I hear from my intake area. And yes, at times it is just as loud as my exhaust note....like under a heavy load up a hill, etc.
I know what you're saying very load, I even have the smaller Heavy Breather
designed for bikes with fairings, which probabley makes things loader yet.
I get this noise as soon as I give any kind of a hard trottle, doesn't have to be much.
At least I know what it is, at first I thought it was valves or injectors.
dan

Old 07-16-2011, 08:29 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have been doing some research and the intake noise is really increased when running a short duration cam . Some of the longer duration cams don't seem to have as much of an impact. HPI is also aware of this and is doing some research as this seems to be more prevalent in the 2010 and 2011 models. At times it seems the throttle plate just sits there and rattles and under load, it is pretty loud. In any event, the HD Heavy Breather is still one of the best IMO.

Old 07-17-2011, 08:07 AM
03 Softail
Cruiser

As long as I know what is causing the noise and not doing any harm to the bike, I can live with it.
also two thumbs up on the heavy breather.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:06 AM
paul o
4th Gear

Originally Posted by HardyHarHarley
hey guys new to the forum. thanks in advance . i have the same high flow intake and the noise is also driven me crazy it almost sounds like the exhaust back up the intake tract . 5 gear under load is loud do you get the same thin between 2100-to 3000 rpm after that seems like it goes away ?

Quick Reply: Screamin Eagle Heavy Breather Vs. SE Ventilator Performance Air Cleaner Kit