Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Cam chain tensioners, yep they’re checked w/pictures

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 10:34 AM
Biker Bob
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Cam chain tensioners, yep they’re checked w/pictures

I am happy to say that I don’t need to install my new hydraulic tensioner kit and cam bearings just yet!

Both the front and rear tensioners look like new! I can just do the hydraulic cam plate kit install in the winter when the snow is flying and it won’t interfere with my riding season. Note the countless uses for the top of a Beer case!

While I had the exhaust off, I ordered a set of True Dual Rineharts and will install them in place of the SE exhaust system that I had to remove to do the tensioner check.

Yippy Skippy! Back to riding, only LOUDER! Bob

Last edited by Biker Bob; 06-12-2011 at 11:43 AM.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:04 AM
Dyna_in_the_works
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man I love the screamin eagle RK's... good bit of luck seeing your tensioners in that good of condition. Let us know how the new pipes turn out...

Old 06-12-2011, 11:13 AM
Biker Bob
Road Warrior

Synthetic oil is the Dog’s *****. Here’s the proof. The bike has had synthetic of one kind or another in it since the break in oil was drained 20k ago. These suckers looked like brand new.

PS, we love Dayton, the wife and I get up there all the time for the air show or to Hara. Bob

Old 06-12-2011, 11:26 AM
Dyna_in_the_works
Tourer

Originally Posted by Biker Bob
Synthetic oil is the Dog’s *****. Here’s the proof. The bike has had synthetic of one kind or another in it since the break in oil was drained 20k ago. These suckers looked like brand new.

PS, we love Dayton, the wife and I get up there all the time for the air show or to Hara. Bob
LMAO, the dogs ***** huh??? That's a new one for me... "cats ***, bees knees" those I know, but the 'ol dogs *****... now im gonna have to use that one! We live about 20 mi north of dayton, pretty good place where we are, next time you're in town, drop me a line and you'll have a bike right beside ya... and again that S.E king ya got is a damn nice ride!!

Old 06-12-2011, 11:31 AM
Dyna_in_the_works
Tourer

And as for the synthetic oil, syn3 is what im bathing mine in since the rebuild, I hope all my new bits and pieces look as good as yours in 20k+...

Old 06-12-2011, 11:38 AM
Biker Bob
Road Warrior

I checked the cam lobes and roller lifters as closely as I could and didn't see any chatter, discoloring or scouring on anything. I'm really relieved, didn't know what to expect.

Thanks for the compliment and invite, I'll keep it in mind. Bob

Old 06-12-2011, 01:15 PM
Dallas 13
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Not to be a trouble causer, but when I put in my gear cams the outer tensioner looked like that, but the inner one was starting to get real rough.
had Syn3 from the first oil change. Hope yours last longer.

Old 06-12-2011, 02:36 PM
Wild Card
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

agree with the above, the inner tensioner is the one that get's destroyed first. I would reccomend you look at that before referancing dogs *****

Old 06-12-2011, 02:52 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,816 Likes on 3,171 Posts

My inner went first also, but not until 81,000 miles. Gear drive cams now, and done worrying about it!

Old 06-12-2011, 03:53 PM
Biker Bob
Road Warrior

"Both the front and rear tensioners look like new!"

I retracted the inner and pinned it with the loop pin. I used a dental mirror and inspected the inner tensioner thoroughly. There was slightly more wear on it but only slightly. I would call it over 90% of new and certainly good enough to run until I get around to swapping out the hydraulic tensioners. But good advice, the inners do wear more than the outers. Bob

Quick Reply: Cam chain tensioners, yep they’re checked w/pictures