Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

engine only runs on one cylinder! please help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 04:33 AM
youngsix
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question engine only runs on one cylinder! please help!

alright i think i have a fairly serious issue here... i did the whole winter teardown of everything BUT the motor and now i can only get my engine to fire on the rear cylinder. when i try to start it the fuel pump goes and there is good fuel pressure. it started off just sitting there spinning and doing nothing then finally starting firing on the rear cylinder. but its really rough and backfires out the intake then quits once off the starter button and when i pull the rear plug its very dark which would mean super rich right? the front cylinder the plug comes out almost dry and looking like it hasnt fired at all. i have tried numerous things and done

-SE forged Rocker Arm Supports
-SE Roller Rocker Arms
-Andrews EZ install adjustable pushrods (which i have set numerous times)
-Switched the front and rear injectors around to rule out that the injectors arent malfunctioning
-Zippers thundermax ECM W/auto tune
-E3 3.36 spark plugs
-flush mount gauges

any help is appreciated on this as im pretty much stumped as to where to go with this next. thanks. any other details you may need to figure out ask and ill let you know.

Last edited by youngsix; 05-29-2011 at 04:43 AM.
Old 05-29-2011, 07:16 AM
prodrag1320
Banned
Received 622 Likes on 398 Posts

check for spark & compresion (it isnt causing the problem,but shitcan the E3 plugs too)

Old 05-29-2011, 02:03 PM
youngsix
6th Gear
Arrow more info

it has good spark, cant find a tester to fit yet so i havent been able to try that. the other thing is that it will run no problem on the rear with the front plug out. but at soon as you put the plug in or cover the hole it almost seems like it is choking itself out? im not sure really. does that make any sense? lifters? pushrods are okay, when i roll it over in second gear with the plugs out is seems to be going through the steps smoothly. the other thing is that i saw the injector wires can get fatigued over time, so i might check that out and see cause when i swapped the injectors aroung the rear still worked and the front still didnt.

Old 05-30-2011, 10:48 AM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Put stock ECM back in it and see if it will start. Troubleshooting is proper when using the "HALF" method. You think about the problem and figure the two halves it can be. IE: walk into a large office and no lights works, and breaker keeps tripping. Go to middle and de- wire 50% of the lights by cutting the run in half. NOW... does the breaker still trip? If so... it's in the section thats still wired and you cut that in half again... If not, you wire it back together and cut the second section in half. See?

So first up is... is it the TMax or is it all the other crap like coil, etc. Cut it in half by installing the stock ECM and see if it will run. If it will... then its the TMax. If not... its a CPS, coil, cam timing, etc. Did you swap cams? When you say 'teardown' what did that entail? What got pulled or unwired? The thing is: YOU did it, now you have to find out what 'it' is. What is EVERYTHING you touched since it last ran correctly?

Giving yr and model info would help.

Last edited by wurk_truk; 05-30-2011 at 10:59 AM.
Old 05-30-2011, 01:09 PM
youngsix
6th Gear

alright its a 2007 dyna street bob. i had the cams done last year as well as installed the tmax, and everything ran fine. the only thing i have changed engine wise is the rocker arm supports, and only cause i broke the front one at the end of the year. so most of the teardown was cosmetic. ive put forged rocker arm supports and roller rockers in since then and that is all engine wise. installed a digital oil pressure gauge, flush mount gauges, and led front signal lights. thats it for wiring.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:16 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Check your plug wires, Having them reversed (on the wrong cyl) will give you those symptoms.

Last edited by Dalton; 06-03-2011 at 10:03 PM.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:09 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 587 Posts

I agree with Dalton.
Scott