Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Oil Consumption

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 11:13 AM
natural gasser
Road Captain
Received 310 Likes on 169 Posts
Default Oil Consumption

Will a free'er flowing air cleaner have anything to do with burning more oil through the intake?
Nothing changed inside the motor= crankcase pressure unchanged. Only change was the air filter& cover.

Old 05-26-2011, 02:04 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,232 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Please clarify "burning more oil through the intake". Did you mean to say "puking oil through the intake"? In either case, the answer is no, a freer flowing air intake does not result in puking oil into the intake.

You did refer to "more" oil, like there was an oil puking problem before the intake was changed?? That would indicate that there is a problem with the crankcase breather and/or venting or oil is blowing by the pistons.

Old 05-26-2011, 07:25 PM
natural gasser
Road Captain

The breathers are routed to the intake, so any carry over is burned. Since changing the air cleaner, using about a quart every 1500 miles.

Old 05-26-2011, 07:35 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

What was the oil consumption before the AC change out.

Also... a couple things. What year and kind of bike? Does this bike have a carb or EFI? Was the old filter the stock one? Do you also have slip ons? Is this bike 'built' in ANY way? How many miles on the bike. When you say crankcase pressure hasn't changed... how do you know this? Do you mean cranking pressure... CCP hasn't changed?

Here's why I ask. If you HAD slip ons on already and this is an EFI bike... by installing a free flow AC... you have completed a Stage 1 upgrade. If you didn't address this with some kind of tuning product... that bike is VERY hot running right now. This heat thins the oil right out when running and more vapor formed to BE consumed in the intake track. More heat can effect blow by quite a bit. I, myself, if confronted with this would do a HOT leak-down test, and move from there. What you describe is NOT correct at all and the AC change is pointing out a buried problem to you.

DJL is always on the money with this kinda crap, BTW.

AC changes usually point owners to an existing puking problem... Open filters allow an oil drip wherein the stock AC can doesn't, etc.....but to have a new puke thing... that's kinda odd.

Last edited by wurk_truk; 05-26-2011 at 07:51 PM.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:31 AM
natural gasser
Road Captain

Should have gave more information, sorry.
Motor is a 114", 2into1 pipe, did not use oil before the air cleaner change. Previous AC was a SE. Current is a Kury filter element, with a aftemarket cover. CCC is 197psi ea. cylinder. FI tuned with SERT by a good tuner.
I'm guessing a valve seal, first noticed the consumption about the time I changed the AC, but before I tear into it thought it was worth asking.

Old 05-27-2011, 09:07 AM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just covered some of this in another thread about Rocker supports.

Actually important part of the vent system as it has the vent "oil separator" system there.

Before I tore the engine apart I would look at this closely.

Drill out and deburr the little holes there--two in each support. New umprella valves.

This is the vapor liquid, "Knock Out, Demisting,", area so to speak. The more liquid oil that you can drain out of this venting area, out the bottom of the support plated, the less oil gets vented out of the engine.

One of those little things that help a lot.

Old 05-27-2011, 09:18 AM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,232 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by natural gasser
Should have gave more information, sorry.
Motor is a 114", 2into1 pipe, did not use oil before the air cleaner change. Previous AC was a SE. Current is a Kury filter element, with a aftemarket cover. CCC is 197psi ea. cylinder. FI tuned with SERT by a good tuner. I'm guessing a valve seal, first noticed the consumption about the time I changed the AC, but before I tear into it thought it was worth asking.
Doubt the A/C is the problem; sounds like a new problem coincidental with the installation of the new A/C. A quart in 1500 miles is excessive and you should see evidence on the plugs, particularly the insulator. Guide seals could very will be the problem. Reroute the breathers and get that crap out of the intake; route the breathers to the outside.

Old 05-28-2011, 10:23 AM
natural gasser
Road Captain

Old Gunney, "Drill out and deburr the little holes there--two in each support"

what size should I drill to? Thanks.

Old 05-29-2011, 08:11 AM
bwdogman
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some go to .090 and some go to .125