Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Rinehart TD - Flange Nut Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 09:12 PM
Guitar4Him
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Rinehart TD - Flange Nut Question

The dealer installed Reinhart TD's on my 2011 Ultra Classic about a week ago. After about 250 miles on them, I'm getting some decel popping. I figured it would be good to check the flange nuts to make sure everything was tightened down correctly. The front cylinder and the top nut on the rear cylinder were no problem to get to and they felt like they needed a little tightening. The service manual calls for 100 - 110 inch pounds but I just don't see how your going to get a torque wrench in there (other than the top nut on the rear cylinder)...had to go by "feel". Anyway, the bottom flange nut on the rear cylinder is a real pain. I tried every possible wrench I had and couldn't get anything in there. Finally, I found a very short, thin 1/2" open end and was able to get it on the nut and tighten it slightly. Problem was, I ran out of room and couldn't get any more movement with the wrench.

Question....what do you guys use to tighten that flange nut? I'm thinking I might run by Sears tomorrow and get a crow's foot and try it. Any other suggestions?

Old 05-23-2011, 05:54 PM
Guitar4Him
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sears crowfoot wrenches....too expensive.

Autozone crowfoot wrenches....nice price.

Got a set at Autozone. Grabbed the 1/2", a 6" extension and the torque wrench. Tightening the lower flange nut was dirt-simple at that point.

Question...how much does using a crowfoot wrench affect the accuracy of the torque wrench? I would think it affects it some but I'm not sure which way.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:12 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Guitar4Him
Sears crowfoot wrenches....too expensive.

Autozone crowfoot wrenches....nice price.

Got a set at Autozone. Grabbed the 1/2", a 6" extension and the torque wrench. Tightening the lower flange nut was dirt-simple at that point.

Question...how much does using a crowfoot wrench affect the accuracy of the torque wrench? I would think it affects it some but I'm not sure which way.
90 degrees doesn't affect it at all but this page http://www.cncexpo.com/TorqueAdapter.aspx should give you calcs to figure out what you want.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:16 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Socket swivels are your friend when working in tight spaces. I use the 1/4" swivel w/small extension to reach - no problem catching all four on my FLHX.