Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Twin cam 88 question

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 08:51 PM
Bill C
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Twin cam 88 question

I have a 2001 Electric Glide (carb model) with about 60k miles. Never had any problems except for a failed stator about 20k miles ago. Last two times out the motor just quits and it feels like the fuel supply gets cut off. If I wait several minutes it fires right up again.

I think maybe a clogged petcock or stuck float might be the problem but I am lost what else it could be. I don't think it is an ignition problem.

Thought I would check here first before I starting taking things apart.

Last edited by Bill C; 05-22-2011 at 09:00 PM.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:20 AM
kkiley
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

My 1st suspect would be your main circuit breaker. That would explain why it will restart after cooling down. They were originally 30 amp and the factory upgraded them to 40 amps. Will the bike crank over but not start? Or is everything off? Is the speedo still working?
Let us know and we can try to narrow things down.

Old 05-23-2011, 05:45 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 587 Posts

Certainly sounds like an electrical issue.
Scott

Old 05-23-2011, 08:03 AM
Bill C
Advanced

After it shuts down, the bike cranks perfectly and the oil light is on making me think it is a fuel problem.

I don't know how I would test a circuit breaker problem. If I have to take it to the shop, that's the way it goes.

I checked the battery connections last night and the negative connection could move just a little so I tightened everything up. If the battery wasn't making solid connection, I don't see how it could crank the motor.

Thanks for your help.

Old 05-23-2011, 10:56 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,221 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill C
After it shuts down, the bike cranks perfectly and the oil light is on making me think it is a fuel problem.

I don't know how I would test a circuit breaker problem. If I have to take it to the shop, that's the way it goes.

I checked the battery connections last night and the negative connection could move just a little so I tightened everything up. If the battery wasn't making solid connection, I don't see how it could crank the motor.

Thanks for your help.
Instant shutdown and restart back to normal is not typical behavir for a fuel flow related problem. Usually, fuel problems exhibit some erractic engine behavior before shutting down and exhibit other symptoms like missing, surging, coughing, etc. Before shutting down and continue to exhibit those symptoms on restart because the problem still exists.

+1 on the MCB; very common problem with the early FLHT. Circuit breakers loose capacity with age and heat. What once was a 30 amp CB might now be a 25A CB, down just enough to shut down when hot and loaded. The loose battery connection is just exascerbating the problem. Don't bother testing; if the problem continues, replace it and I would bet a six pack the problem is solved.

Old 05-23-2011, 12:13 PM
kkiley
Road Master

You can buy that breaker at any auto parts store for about $6.00

Old 05-23-2011, 12:37 PM
Bill C
Advanced

Wow, thanks for the info. I'll replace it and see how it works.

I'll send you guys coupons for six-packs if it works.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:33 PM
shadylane
Advanced

If it will crank but not start then the main breaker is good.
Next time it dies Choke it and see if it will restart for a moment if it does then it probably is a fuel problem.
Or remove a plug wire, stick a spare plug in it and see if you have fire.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:49 PM
kkiley
Road Master

ShadyLane is right. If it's cranking but does not start, then the circuit breaker is not blowing. If it will start with the choke pulled, it's a fuel issue. I like his suggestion to carry an extra plug to see if you have spark. It could be your coil going bad. When mine died like that, it was the crank position sensor, but I don't know that they will start working again after it sits.
I think with a volt ohm meter you can track this down if you are so inclined.

Old 05-24-2011, 12:08 AM
Bill C
Advanced

Well....installed a new circuit breaker as soon as I got home and took off like I stole it. Rode out about 10 miles and it was running fantastic until I got about 5 miles from home when the shut down occurred again. Took me over 2 hours to limp home where it would idle for awhile then shut down.

Guess I'll tackle the carberator and fuel line next. I'll keep you posted.

Quick Reply: Twin cam 88 question