Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Twin cam 88 question

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 09:42 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,221 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Can't win'em all; if you are ever in San Antone, I will make good on the six pack wager. At least the CB is eliminated and you didn't spend much to elimnate it as the cause. Now, back to basics, fuel and fire; what is missing?

Old 05-24-2011, 09:45 AM
jcallesano
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

if its carbed....maybe a new fuel filter just to be safe you know. I know nothing about electrics.

Old 05-24-2011, 10:02 AM
Bill C
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

djl,
No problem. It was time to replace the circuit breaker anyway.

It's driving me nuts. I'm going to start with the fuel tank and remove the Pingel petcock and make sure everything is clean to the carberator. Maybe I have some water or sluge settled in the tank. A friend also suggested I check the battery ground.

Old 05-24-2011, 10:06 AM
kkiley
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Are you getting any trouble codes? Does the engine light go off and come back on for about 8 seconds after you start it?

Old 05-24-2011, 07:30 PM
shadylane
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bill C
Well....installed a new circuit breaker as soon as I got home and took off like I stole it. Rode out about 10 miles and it was running fantastic until I got about 5 miles from home when the shut down occurred again. Took me over 2 hours to limp home where it would idle for awhile then shut down.

Guess I'll tackle the carberator and fuel line next. I'll keep you posted.
From what you have posted its starting to sound like a fuel problem.
I see where you have a Pingel petcock. That should be easy to troubleshoot.
What other mods have been done on the fuel system?
Stock carb?
Stock fuel lines?
After market fuel filter? ..... Causes more problems than it will cure. Can we say vapor lock.
Does pulling out the choke make it run better? If fuel bowl is almost empty it will help for a moment.
Does the engine "bog" if you crack the trottle?
When was the last time you drained the carb bowl?

Pull the AC, slide the carb out of the intake, remove the bowl, hold a pan under it to catch the gas. and turn the fuel valve on. Lots of gas should come out of the carb. At this point I should say. Gas is "FLAMABLE" also don't abuse the choke cable thats still attached to the carb. Your choke detent wont work anymore if you do.

Last edited by shadylane; 05-24-2011 at 07:45 PM.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:16 PM
Bill C
Advanced

I am going to start on it tonight.

To answer some of you questions...
> No modifications to the fuel system. Stock gravity feed carberator.
> I replaced the fuel line about a year ago. Bought fuel line at autoparts store (maybe a problem)
> I hate to admit, I didn't know there was a fuel filter other than the strainer attached to the Pingel. If there is, please let me know.
> last night when i was struggling to get home, pulling out the choke didn't make any difference
> I've never drained the float bowl in 60k miles, but I plan to

One of my theories is the carberator bowl fills up after sitting for several hours. I take off and the fuel being feed to the bowl is not fast enough for consumption. I get out on the road about 10 miles and it runs out of fuel. Last night, I would wait about 10 minutes and have enough fuel to run a little ways until it shut down and repeat again until I got home.

Last edited by Bill C; 05-24-2011 at 08:37 PM.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:45 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Carb inspection/cleaning definitely in order; the problem is sounding like a fuel delivery problem. Also check for obstruction to the fuel tank vent.

Last edited by djl; 05-25-2011 at 01:48 PM.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:25 PM
Bill C
Advanced

Update:
1. Disconnected the fuel line from the carberator and filled a soup can with gas. Seemed to flow pretty strong
2. Took off the fuel bowl. Didn't look gummy or anything. The float and fuel valve moved up and down freely. Wiped everything down.
3. Checked the vapor valve and it seems to stick so I will buy a new one tomorrow. Seems counter intuitive that it allows air to be blown away from the tank but the ball valve prevents air from coming in. Anyway the ball valve gets stuck so maybe that's the problem.

Old 06-09-2011, 11:42 PM
Bill C
Advanced

Update...went back to finding electrical problem. Replaced the coil, spark plug wires and crank position sensor. Runs fantastic. Hopefully that's it for awhile.

Old 06-10-2011, 12:22 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by Bill C
Update...went back to finding electrical problem. Replaced the coil, spark plug wires and crank position sensor. Runs fantastic. Hopefully that's it for awhile.
It wasn't the plug wires; my money is on the CPS. Glad you got it fixed; feels good to finally figure it out doesn't it?

Quick Reply: Twin cam 88 question