Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

rush slip ons

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 06:41 AM
MADDOG187
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rush slip ons

hi guys , i finally got round to fitting my Rush slip ons on my fat bob today, everything seems fine , not much popping , smooth acceleration etc , but i seem to have lost a little something , I'm not sure if its just the engine note making the bike feel different or if Ive lost a little torque or power , but it seems a little flat , not a great deal , just a little less snap when pushing hard and changing up gears , i cannot put my finger on it , and it may be there is no difference compared to stock pipes ,
i know there may be a little mid range missing because of the back pressure , and that may be it , but when i fitted straight shots on my nightster , it felt a little better , like the stock pipes were restricting it some how , i haven't done a full stage one , just the slip ons , i went for 1.75 inch baffles so as not to make to much noise , they seem to have a pretty good sound , not to harsh like the v&h mufflers .
I was wondering if torque cones would help or would they just upset things more , or shall i just get used to it for a while & and see how it goes .
ive only done about 30 miles since fitting them , so if theres anyone out there who has fitted slip ons only on a late model wide glide or fat bob , could you please give me your feed back . thanks

Last edited by MADDOG187; 05-17-2011 at 06:52 AM.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:20 PM
Rush Racing Products
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just installing the mufflers should produce about 5hp gain, you should be able to feel it in the seat. What year is the bike and are there any other upgrades/mods?
It could just need getting used to the sound, but let's also try to rule out anything that could be an issue.
Ryan

Old 05-17-2011, 08:01 PM
MADDOG187
Road Master

Originally Posted by Rush Racing Products
Just installing the mufflers should produce about 5hp gain, you should be able to feel it in the seat. What year is the bike and are there any other upgrades/mods?
It could just need getting used to the sound, but let's also try to rule out anything that could be an issue.
Ryan
thanks for your reply Ryan , i wasn't expecting you guys to answer my post ,thats a nice touch , to answer your points , its a new 2011 fat bob , i haven't done any other mods , just the slip ons ,the butterfly valve in the header is still connected and working normally , and the bike has just had its 1k service , the bike seemed pretty good before i put the mufflers on , and like i said , while its not running bad , it doesn't feel as good mid range and top end , or thats the way it feels , i know what you mean by feeling any gain in your seat , Ive had a few bikes over the years , i was wondering , if the closed loop efi would compensate for the change in baffles right away or would it take a while longer than the 20 - 30 miles or so Ive done with the new slip ons ,
thanks again for your reply , DOG , also could you tell me why your pipes do not have Rush embossed or etched on them like the V & H slip ons do , its just a nice little finish .

Last edited by MADDOG187; 05-17-2011 at 08:13 PM.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:03 AM
Rush Racing Products
Banned

The 2011 has the catalytic converter in the headpipe. Due to the added back pressure from the cat our larger baffles will actually perform better than the smaller ones. I would recommend using the 2.25" baffle, but the sound will also increase. That is our largest baffle but will still sound similar to the 1.75" baffle on a bike with open head pipes like previous years. This should take care of the midrange and top end. For the tuning, my experience is the system will take around 50 miles to adjust but depending on how you ride that can vary quite a bit. When we started with just slip on mufflers, a lot of customers liked the clean look of our chrome with no logos on it. We've left it off for that reason but now offer it on muffler heatshields and tips.
Thanks for choosing Rush!

Old 05-24-2011, 04:17 AM
MADDOG187
Road Master

hi Ryan
sorry its taken so long to get back to you , Ive been away ,
it seems that riders of bristol have sent the wrong size baffles in the slip ons for my year bike , a couple of points , if i change to the 2.25 " baffle , will i need to do a fuel mod , it states on your site that theres no need to do this with the 1.5" or 1.75" baffles , but will the 2.25" be o.k because of the increased back pressure on the header with a cat in.
as I'm currently running the 1.75" baffle without a fuel mod , can this harm my engine in any way , or is it just the slight loss in power ,
riders also say it will be a while for them to get any stock from you , about 6 weeks or so , and I'm waiting for them to get back to me as to if they will send me the correct baffle f.o.c , could you tell me how much it would be to buy the correct baffle from you and ship it to the u.k , this could work out better for me as i will not have to wait as long .
thank you so much for your help in this matter , its really refreshing to find a company with this level of customer service .

Old 05-24-2011, 08:50 AM
Rush Racing Products
Banned

The 1.75" will not harm your engine, it just isn't as open as the 2.25" so you will not get the same HP numbers. The difference in power in going to be minor due to the restriction of the catalytic convertor in the head pipe, but it should beef up the sound to what one would typically expect from our slip on mufflers. With all catalytic converted bikes, you can install any of our large baffle sizes with no tuning required. You are correct about the cat providing the back pressure required for the stock O2 sensors and ecm to recalibrate back to stock settings.
We do not sell direct to the public but there are some dealers in the states that will ship internationally. The first two that come to mind are jpcycles.com and westendmotorsports.com but there are many other great dealers that will ship over seas. Please PM me if you would like other dealer references.
- Ryan