Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Pet cock problem ??

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 09:00 AM
countrycorby
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pet **** problem ??

Hello to all here and thank you in advance for any help you might give me.
I just signed up today so, please slap me in the head if I get unruly.
I have a bit of a problem it is personal but we won't get into that here. I do however, have a fuel problem with my '96 FLSTN . I am not getting fuel to my float bowl. I removed the bowl, it is clean and float works freely. I drained fuel from the tanks and removed pet **** - screen had a little junk on it but I have seen worse. The pet **** is stock to the bike the Carb is an S&S E. I am wondering if maybe the Diaphram in the pet **** is bad and not letting the fuel flow thru to the bowl. Has anyone had a problem like this? The bike sat thru the winter and has not run since probably October until the time of this post.
Help a brother out ..... thanks
Mike-

Old 05-15-2011, 09:07 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,003 Likes on 4,194 Posts

Welcome from Virginia...
Since you have it off, put a short piece of hose on the end that goes to carb and blow in it with it turned to on and reserve. Should be easy. Note that nothing goes thru in off. By any chance does it have a place for a vacum hose? Some have an extra on/off with engine vacum and the handle is for on/reserve.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:32 AM
countrycorby
Novice

Thanks grf000. I tried blowing thru it in all positions, "off","on",and "reserve" and I got nothing thru on "off" but thru "on and "reserve" it would let some air thru but it was like it was going on-off-on-off and I really had to blow thru there hard to get it do that. Yes this bike has a line from the S&S manifold to the pet ****. I also tried removing my gas caps just incase I wasn't venting properly.
Mike-

Old 05-15-2011, 11:29 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by countrycorby
Thanks grf000. I tried blowing thru it in all positions, "off","on",and "reserve" and I got nothing thru on "off" but thru "on and "reserve" it would let some air thru but it was like it was going on-off-on-off and I really had to blow thru there hard to get it do that. Yes this bike has a line from the S&S manifold to the pet ****. I also tried removing my gas caps just incase I wasn't venting properly.
Mike-
The line going to the manifold is the on/off vacum switch. You sort of need a vacum pump to check that by placing a vacum on it. If you do not have that with the line attached crank the engine for your vacum. You can probably blow thru the fuel side then while its cranking. If its not cranking or running your system is normally off.

Old 05-15-2011, 11:37 AM
countrycorby
Novice

That's what I am thinking may be the problem. I cranked on the bike enough that I should be getting something thru the line but nothing in the bowl when I look. My vacuum line is connected to both the pet **** and the manifold so unless I have a hole in the diaphram what else could it be ?? Even if there were a small hole in the vac line I should still have enough vac to work the diaphram even a little to get some evidence of fuel thru the line....
Thanks again.
Mike-

Old 05-15-2011, 03:28 PM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

take the hose off the manifold and suck it..fuel should flow..get a longer/cleaner hose if you need..

Old 05-15-2011, 04:01 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

Was not sure how strong the diaphram since I alway use a vacum pump (thanks Jimmy) but if you suck on the hose and let it pull you tongue in the hose at least it will show you its not broken since if it was it would not hold your tongue. Yuck way to test no less? HA

Old 05-16-2011, 04:23 PM
countrycorby
Novice

Thanks J1mmy and grf00. I picked up a hand vac pump and going to test the diaphram when I get off from work (7pm). Thanks for the help. Will post results tomorrow.
Mike-

Old 05-16-2011, 04:34 PM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 587 Posts

You can eliminate the vacuum unit altogather, with either a 25-30 dollar petcock from Drag, or jump up to a fuel valve from Golan, or Pingel.
Scott

Old 05-16-2011, 04:44 PM
countrycorby
Novice

You know Hillside, I was thinking that for a long time but I just could'nt see spending the money to replace something that was working fine ..... but now that it is NOT working fine that might be just the thing. I have heard from different sources that some of the after market replacements are .... let's say short lived. I know Pingel though, is a good product.
Thanks.
Mike-

Quick Reply: Pet cock problem ??