Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

SE Performance Heads or HTCC Ported?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 04:20 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts
Default RE: SE Performance Heads or HTCC Ported?

ORIGINAL: FXDLBill

My HD dealer is running a special, 95 CI HTCC CNC ported, mik 45 mm, SE ignition, SE257 cam etc, complete for $4000 plus tx. 105 TQ and 110 hp. Less cost, similar HP and TQ curves, dyno tuning and HD backed warranty......This is the way I'm going.

It will also increase the value of the bike, where a non-OEM may detract from it.
Don't let the dealer try and convince you that a all SE build will add value to the bike, remember the 07's are 96" and all us with the little engine took a smack in the face on resale. I had a 05 Classic that had a all SE stage 2 build and it didn't get me much of anything extra when I traded it on my 06 Ultra. They just had a 95" HTTC CNC build in AIM and dyno results from the same build, it was a pooch considering that the parts bill was big bucks. For less money a person can do a simple 95" tw37 and some port work on their heads and make as much or more power and torque than that build made.

Old 12-14-2006, 06:53 AM
DI75
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: FXDLBill

call scott at Revolution Performance, a sponsor here or steve at GMR...for the same money you can get some brand new cast heads that way outperform any HD head...

This is incorrect. GMR does not provide you with new heads. Steve will either modify YOUR heads or possibly provide you with modfied "take offs" he got from one of the HD dealers he works, with at additional cost.

I have been investigating GMR, Mackie and such. With all the other components (heads, springs, jugs, pistons, cam, carb, ignition, lifters, push rods, gaskets, etc., and to have a reputable person do the build and provide a real warraty is running $4900 - $5500 plus tax.

Oh sure, I could do it myself, but I am no longer a mechanic. Those days are gone. I would be playing with this thing all Winter......... and $800 is a cheep insurence policy when you consider the cost of a simple mistake during assembly

In addition, you really don't know what you are getting. Each mechanic has his own special way of installing the components and brands of add ons (carbs, oilers, ignition, etc). "You need this and that"..... but the next guy will tell you a different tune. It was getting confusing and the price was escallating.

My HD dealer is running a special, 95 CI HTCC CNC ported, mik 45 mm, SE ignition, SE257 cam etc, complete for $4000 plus tx. 105 TQ and 110 hp. Less cost, similar HP and TQ curves, dyno tuning and HD backed warranty......This is the way I'm going.

It will also increase the value of the bike, where a non-OEM may detract from it.

Also....the dealer has guarranteed me no pinging (free adjustments on the Dyno)

After looking at all the available kits, GMR & Mackie are the best priced non-OEM, but when you add in all the required components, you come out the same as SE. Don't get me wrong GMR & Mackie seem to have thier act together and I'm sure they put together great packages, but with the 20% discount, they way are more than the SE package.

I know, I know, a lot of you folks dont like SE cams. I run a 2005 Low Rider, these cams should be great with this bike. And if they aren't, well with the money I saved, I can try a Andrews 37G cam and sell the SE's on ebay
Bill, I had the same build your refering to 2 bikes ago. Look for 92/100. Thats about the best your going to get out of that build. I just did a 103 stroker build with HTCC heads and pistons,stroker flywheel,260 cam, SE 50mm throttlebody and Ive been told to expect 110/110 out of that build. I would listen to some of the guys like Bryan TTM when it comes to performance. They are definitely knowledgeable when it comes to the power end of it!! Now if you want advice on looks... Just kidding. Best of luck!!!

Old 01-12-2007, 12:12 PM
Dino3981
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I finally broke in my rebuild and dyno tunes her, you are correct! I'm pleased to say I'm getting 102hp and 98tq out of what people are calling the hippo build.

Old 01-12-2007, 04:08 PM
Harleypaw
Tourer

I would agree with Phil and Byran, the 95" build your doing will have a hard time getting over 100/100 especially using SE cams, with that being said I run the CNC ported SE heads, there has been some added work done on them but they are pretty good out of the box, HD does have a good R&D dept but they drop the ball on Cams.

If your not hung up on the two pipe look, I would go with a good 2/1 pipe

Old 01-12-2007, 04:57 PM
Dino3981
Advanced

95"
SE Performance Heads
Forge HC Pistons
PCIII
Fueling Oil Pump
S&S 570G
SE Adjustable Pushrods
Roller Rockers
Jims Hydrosolid Lifters
D&D Quiet Fat Cat
102HP/97TQ

Old 01-12-2007, 05:28 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats Dino!

How do ya like the quiet FC? I'd love to see your dyno sheet.... did already post it somewhere?

Old 01-12-2007, 06:32 PM
Harleypaw
Tourer

Great numbers Dino, how do you like the Hydrosolids

Old 01-14-2007, 06:07 PM
Dino3981
Advanced

I'm extemly pleased with the quiet fat cat! Hopefully I'm successful attaching the dyno sheet. I had to make a correction to my earlier post I'm actually getting 97TQ not 98.

[IMG]local://upfiles/2486/D5716F1224BD4A81891583AF8CBF90A8.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-14-2007, 06:08 PM
Dino3981
Advanced

So far so good if you don't mind the noise. I still may consider putting in the fueling lifters. The fueling oil pump is a very nice improvement.

Old 01-17-2007, 12:54 AM
apachethunder03
Cruiser

"Granted, they are designed for the street use and not Drags,"

I thought thatif they had the checkered flag, it was for race use only. Butcouldn't be used in Ca.

Quick Reply: SE Performance Heads or HTCC Ported?