Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

SE Performance Heads or HTCC Ported?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 12:28 PM
Dino3981
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SE Performance Heads or HTCC Ported?

Thanks for all the info! You've been a tremendous help!

Old 10-26-2006, 01:18 PM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

the R&R head sold by GMR & cast by Revolution is state of the art with funneled D-shaped ports...intake angle has been raised to make for a more straight shot to the back of the valve...valve sizes are slightly larger...combustion chamber is also abit different...BUT, they are much more expensive than any HD rendering....a good 06 head with nice port work will make good power as well...for me, cause too much aint enuff and latest and greatest in power parts are my mantra, i bought the R&R...whattaya expect out of an outlaw drag racer

Old 11-13-2006, 05:03 PM
ButtMan1000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Howdy!

Great post, as I was wondering the same thing as I am planning to upgrade my 2003 FXD Dyna.

A related question considering performance heads are being installed:

What carb is the better choice, the Mikuni 45mm, the 42mm, or the 44CV?

My current spec's:
2003 FXD
Stage 1 Air Cleaner kit
Dyno Jet carb kit
Super Trapp 2-1 exhaust
S&S Cam Gear Drive
Andrews TW-37G cams
Dyno'd at 81 HP (limited by the factory 5700 RPM Ignition)
Currently an 88CI, but will most likely go to 95 CI with the head work.

Old 12-11-2006, 12:04 AM
FXDLBill
Novice

call scott at Revolution Performance, a sponsor here or steve at GMR...for the same money you can get some brand new cast heads that way outperform any HD head...

This is incorrect. GMR does not provide you with new heads. Steve will either modify YOUR heads or possibly provide you with modfied "take offs" he got from one of the HD dealers he works, with at additional cost.

I have been investigating GMR, Mackie and such. With all the other components (heads, springs, jugs, pistons, cam, carb, ignition, lifters, push rods, gaskets, etc., and to have a reputable person do the build and provide a real warraty is running $4900 - $5500 plus tax.

Oh sure, I could do it myself, but I am no longer a mechanic. Those days are gone. I would be playing with this thing all Winter......... and $800 is a cheep insurence policy when you consider the cost of a simple mistake during assembly

In addition, you really don't know what you are getting. Each mechanic has his own special way of installing the components and brands of add ons (carbs, oilers, ignition, etc). "You need this and that"..... but the next guy will tell you a different tune. It was getting confusing and the price was escallating.

My HD dealer is running a special, 95 CI HTCC CNC ported, mik 45 mm, SE ignition, SE257 cam etc, complete for $4000 plus tx. 105 TQ and 110 hp. Less cost, similar HP and TQ curves, dyno tuning and HD backed warranty......This is the way I'm going.

It will also increase the value of the bike, where a non-OEM may detract from it.

Also....the dealer has guarranteed me no pinging (free adjustments on the Dyno)

After looking at all the available kits, GMR & Mackie are the best priced non-OEM, but when you add in all the required components, you come out the same as SE. Don't get me wrong GMR & Mackie seem to have thier act together and I'm sure they put together great packages, but with the 20% discount, they way are more than the SE package.

I know, I know, a lot of you folks dont like SE cams. I run a 2005 Low Rider, these cams should be great with this bike. And if they aren't, well with the money I saved, I can try a Andrews 37G cam and sell the SE's on ebay

Old 12-11-2006, 12:56 AM
Bryan TTM
Banned

i am a GMR customer....he does provide you with heads, especially if you buy the cast R&R heads...in each of his pkg's heads ARE included....but if you cant wrench the build yourself and are worried about warranty(which steve does take care of very well), better stick with what your dealer tells ya

ORIGINAL: FXDLBill

call scott at Revolution Performance, a sponsor here or steve at GMR...for the same money you can get some brand new cast heads that way outperform any HD head...

This is incorrect. GMR does not provide you with new heads. Steve will either modify YOUR heads or possibly provide you with modfied "take offs" he got from one of the HD dealers he works, with at additional cost.

I have been investigating GMR, Mackie and such. With all the other components (heads, springs, jugs, pistons, cam, carb, ignition, lifters, push rods, gaskets, etc., and to have a reputable person do the build and provide a real warraty is running $4900 - $5500 plus tax.

Oh sure, I could do it myself, but I am no longer a mechanic. Those days are gone. I would be playing with this thing all Winter......... and $800 is a cheep insurence policy when you consider the cost of a simple mistake during assembly

In addition, you really don't know what you are getting. Each mechanic has his own special way of installing the components and brands of add ons (carbs, oilers, ignition, etc). "You need this and that"..... but the next guy will tell you a different tune. It was getting confusing and the price was escallating.

My HD dealer is running a special, 95 CI HTCC CNC ported, mik 45 mm, SE ignition, SE257 cam etc, complete for $4000 plus tx. 105 TQ and 110 hp. Less cost, similar HP and TQ curves, dyno tuning and HD backed warranty......This is the way I'm going.

It will also increase the value of the bike, where a non-OEM may detract from it.

Also....the dealer has guarranteed me no pinging (free adjustments on the Dyno)

After looking at all the available kits, GMR & Mackie are the best priced non-OEM, but when you add in all the required components, you come out the same as SE. Don't get me wrong GMR & Mackie seem to have thier act together and I'm sure they put together great packages, but with the 20% discount, they way are more than the SE package.

I know, I know, a lot of you folks dont like SE cams. I run a 2005 Low Rider, these cams should be great with this bike. And if they aren't, well with the money I saved, I can try a Andrews 37G cam and sell the SE's on ebay

Old 12-11-2006, 01:11 AM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I could be wrong, but I'll bet you $1 that you will NOT get 110/105 from that build.

Old 12-11-2006, 10:41 AM
Bryan TTM
Banned

wont get close...but he'll have a warranty

Old 12-12-2006, 07:36 PM
FXDLBill
Novice

I'll let you know what I get. None of the kits I have looked at guarantee HP & TQ curves results. There is always "the fine print"

In regard to GMR, right from GMR's site for the standard kit (which is more money than the SE HTCC CNC kit).................................

Specs for the 98 inch kit:

9.7.1 Forged CP pistons with rings, clips and pins in black highlight or silver cylinders to match your current engine color
Andrews 37G cam gear drive kit and install kit
Head gaskets are included at no additional charge
Stage II CNC- (your existing) heads cut on 6 axis CNC
New guides tapered and diamond honed
New viton seals
New Ferrea 1.9 intake valve
New Manely 1.615 exhaust cut down to 1.575 ( that allows a 80% margin= great for flow) full radius valve job
Milled to CC needed for compression based on cam choice
New springs for up to 620 lift ( should you choose a larger cam later no need to replace springs) and set to correct seat pressure for the 37G
LMR2 bypass spring

He may offer cast heads, but not for less than the SE heads.

Nuf Said

Peace!
Bill

Old 12-12-2006, 07:43 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's all in fun Bill...

Most of the kits from folks like GMR, BigBoyz, HeadQuarters, etc. do require that you send your heads in to get them ports/polished/etc....

Hope all works out well, Good Luck!

Old 12-13-2006, 10:25 AM
Bryan TTM
Banned

whatever you want to say bud....you know it....i'll start comin to you for advice

I'll let you know what I get. None of the kits I have looked at guarantee HP & TQ curves results. There is always "the fine print"

In regard to GMR, right from GMR's site for the standard kit (which is more money than the SE HTCC CNC kit).................................

Specs for the 98 inch kit:

9.7.1 Forged CP pistons with rings, clips and pins in black highlight or silver cylinders to match your current engine color
Andrews 37G cam gear drive kit and install kit
Head gaskets are included at no additional charge
Stage II CNC- (your existing) heads cut on 6 axis CNC
New guides tapered and diamond honed
New viton seals
New Ferrea 1.9 intake valve
New Manely 1.615 exhaust cut down to 1.575 ( that allows a 80% margin= great for flow) full radius valve job
Milled to CC needed for compression based on cam choice
New springs for up to 620 lift ( should you choose a larger cam later no need to replace springs) and set to correct seat pressure for the 37G
LMR2 bypass spring

He may offer cast heads, but not for less than the SE heads.

Nuf Said

Peace!
Bill

Quick Reply: SE Performance Heads or HTCC Ported?