Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

06 FLHRSI rough idle when warming up

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 04:53 PM
Fullspeed
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 FLHRSI rough idle when warming up

I have an '06 fuel injected Road King Custom (FLHRSI). Ever since it was new it has always idled a little rough for the first few minutes after starting, until it warms up. The idle seems to be a little low, and it will flame out if I don't give it some throttle. As long as it has some throttle applied, it won't flame out. After a few minutes it runs/idles perfectly, and will continue to do so unless I am off the bike for a few hours & it cools all the way down. A few years ago I added a new exhaust/PC/breather, and it still has the same issue. I run premium fuel, live near sea level, have noticed this issue to occur most anywhere in the continent that my bike and I happen to be. Any thoughts as to what might be causing this? It's just a minor inconvenience, which is why I have lived w/ it for 5 years - though I'm getting ready to sell it so I want it to be buttoned up.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:04 AM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The "flaming out" or gasping for breath, coughting, is a lean thing. When you wing the Throddle open, while it is still warming up it gets too lean at that time.

What you need to do is increase the accelleration table at those temperators if you can access it with a tuner if you have one.

Another thing that can be done is to increase the VE tables at 0 to 2% throddle if you can get to them.

In the carb bikes or autos it is the Accellerator Pump.

In the old days with a big Holley on a car you got a bigger, Shooter, or drilled what you had out till that quit. You learned all about that with a big mechanical linkage 4 barrell.

Same with bikes.

Last edited by Old Gunny; 05-06-2011 at 09:08 AM.
Old 05-06-2011, 01:20 PM
Fullspeed
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Old Gunny
The "flaming out" or gasping for breath, coughting, is a lean thing. When you wing the Throddle open, while it is still warming up it gets too lean at that time.

What you need to do is increase the accelleration table at those temperators if you can access it with a tuner if you have one.

Another thing that can be done is to increase the VE tables at 0 to 2% throddle if you can get to them.

In the carb bikes or autos it is the Accellerator Pump.

In the old days with a big Holley on a car you got a bigger, Shooter, or drilled what you had out till that quit. You learned all about that with a big mechanical linkage 4 barrell.

Same with bikes.
Thanks for the thoughts. I do have a PCIII on it. Though, the issue occurs at idle, not when I hit the throttle. Keeping a little throttle on will keep it from idling down, coughing, and flaming out. If it would just idle a little higher while it is warming up then I don't think this would be happening - though once it's warmed up I wouldn't want the bike to idle any faster than it does.

Old 05-06-2011, 02:52 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 148 Posts

06 EFI bikes had a recall for the exact symptoms you describe.. They came with 8 degree injectors which are to be replaced with 25* injectors. Bullitin # M1185. You may need another map. HD installs a new flash after replacing injectors.

http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/download...jectorswap.pdf

Old 05-06-2011, 03:34 PM
Fullspeed
Intermediate

Originally Posted by KumaRide
06 EFI bikes had a recall for the exact symptoms you describe.. They came with 8 degree injectors which are to be replaced with 25* injectors. Bullitin # M1185. You may need another map. HD installs a new flash after replacing injectors.

http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/download...jectorswap.pdf
Many thanks Kuma, that sure sounds like the culprit.

Old 05-09-2011, 07:20 PM
Fullspeed
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Fullspeed
Many thanks Kuma, that sure sounds like the culprit.
My bike is currently at the shop getting the injectors swapped out. The MoCo wouldn't cover the cost of the repair, despite most of the 2006 Road Kings having this same issue (and widespread enough that they would create the bulletin). Boo, Harley. My local dealer will however cover the expense and replace the injectors at no cost to me. Yeay, Paradise Harley of Tigard, Oregon!

Old 05-16-2011, 11:04 AM
Fullspeed
Intermediate

Injectors were replaced, bike runs perfectly!