Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

engine or drive train noise ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 02:03 PM
67xlch
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine or drive train noise ?

?[sm=confused06.gif]First off, this is a 99FLHR with 24,486 miles; engine mfg date pre Dec. 1998. About a month ago while riding, I heard a noise that sounded like a pebble hitting metal intermittently. I passed it off as noise from oncoming traffic; ie. rocks hitting a fender well or noise reflecting from the median. However, at my destanation while idling, the pinging, clinking sound returned. (My first thought was the cam bearing issue) Upon returning home I changed the engine, trans and primary oils. (using amsoil and adding a few ounces of Lucas oil to the Trans.) Also adjusted the Primary chain. I found no unusual metal in any of the oil or plugs. Upon starting the bike I still noticed the intermittent clinking sound that seamed to telegraph around the motor. Listened to it with a stephoscope, same thing, could not pinpoint it. Rode down my driveway and heard an additional noise like an overtightned Primary chain. Removed the Primary cover to look for broken parts and re adjusted the primary chain, more accurately this time and took a ride around the neighborhood. Still hearing the intermittent clinking sound plus a rythemic noise that sounds like an overtightened primary chain. The rythemic noise increases and decreases with engine speed. The clinking noise is still intermittent. Since then I have removed the primary and cam covers. The outer chain tensioner appears to be good; can't see the inner yet (No tools). Any ideas as to what is causing these noises'? HELP!

Old 10-25-2006, 02:43 PM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 77 Posts
Default RE: engine or drive train noise ?

As far as the pinging/clinking noise, I'd check all the heat shields on the bike. They have a tendancy to break where the hose clamp attaches causing the ting/ting.

Old 10-25-2006, 08:19 PM
500MAG
Cruiser

You can get a pretty good view of the back one , just look over the top of the cam plate, use a small mirror to see it better but be careful not to drop anything back there.

Old 10-25-2006, 09:04 PM
roadglide65
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check to see if you lost the rubber stop on you kick stand, sometimes the fall off. And its the little thing like that will drive you nuts.

Charlie

Old 10-25-2006, 10:36 PM
67xlch
Advanced

[sm=confused06.gif] In response to Hackd, I dont think its the heat sheilds and I have removed the exhaust system to furthur explore this problem. Thanx

In response to Roadglide65, the rubbber stop is there, I just looked but that was a good one; had me wondering and I realized that the clunking sound was there while the bike was idling on the kickstand. Thanx

And to 500MAG, thankx for the tip to view the tensioner in back of the plate.

Old 11-14-2006, 11:05 PM
harley06
Stage I

Hey everyone…

I was hoping to get some input on noise coming from my engine (or at least it sounds like from the engine). I purchased a 2006 Ultra back in August. The entire time I’ve had the bike there has been a noise coming from the engine. In 1st… 2nd… 3rd and 4th gear the noise sounds like a chain on a chain saw… but when I hit 5th gear the sound disappears and the bike sounds great. The sound is more prevalent when accelerating but it is always there.

When I took it in for it’s first service about 2 months ago they didn’t mention it when I picked it up. It is starting to bother me and I am getting ready to take it back to the shop (I was hoping to hold off till it gets too cold to ride) to have it checked. I was just looking to see if anyone ever experienced the same problem.

Old 11-14-2006, 11:16 PM
XfasteddieX
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

67xlch check the compensator sproket nut mine did about the same thing as yours took it to shop that was the problem

Old 11-16-2006, 01:00 AM
67xlch
Advanced

Update On Engine noise! I have checked the comp. sprocket and rotor for loose magnets. Every thing seems to be ok in the primary section, inclueing clutch. Re-installed primary and exhaust to listen again and the noise is now consistent with the valvetrain and piston rythem. Going for head and cylinder removal when time permits. Thought at first it was a lifter, however I think it may be a bad spring or stuck valve.

Old 05-04-2007, 10:21 PM
carolina_man
Stage I

I was reading your 11/15/06 post on engine noise. Did you ever find out anything more on that? I have what sounds like the exact thing going on with my 01 FLHRI. I would appreciate any further info you might have come up with. Thanks

Old 05-08-2007, 11:15 PM
67xlch
Advanced

What a coincidence, haven't been on the site for a while and havent found the source of the noise either. Too busy! I have installed my stock exhaust system so the noise is more easily detected. Am presently trying to get the oil presuer sensor off to check the oil pressure with a guage. Am having a hellava time as the wrench slips around the sending unit. I am making a device to remove it. The factory must have used an air wrench to install the damn thing. Only suppose to be 8-10 ft lbs. Anyhow, when I have some time I am trying to elimanate the obvous before I go into the engine. Whereare you located?

Quick Reply: engine or drive train noise ?