Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

engine or drive train noise ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 11:24 PM
67xlch
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: engine or drive train noise ?

I haven't been on the site for a while, nor have I located the noise. Reinstalled my stock exhaust system and am still hearing the intermittent noise. No longer rythemic. Currently am trying to remove the oil pressure sending unit to check the oil pressure with a gauge. The wrench slips around the sending unit; they must have installed it too tight. Should be only 8-10 ft lbs. I'm trying to eliminate the easy stuff before going into the engine. Will keep you updated. Where are you in the Carolina's.

Old 05-17-2007, 08:07 AM
06 BandW
Stage I

hello im new here bought my first harley about 2 months ago and it sounds like a rock bouncing around in top end going to shop to ask if this is normal will get back if i find anything out glad im not the only one.

Old 06-03-2007, 04:46 AM
lawrence
Stage II

I am new to being a member of this sight but I have been reading the posts for a couple of months now and can't believe the amount of knowledge being passed around, it is great. The reason I found the sight was searching for engine noises and this post seems to match the problem I am having. I have a 01 road king classic and about 18 months ago my bike started making a noise that I thought was a bad lifter. Took it to the local harley shop and had them tear it apart to find the problem, they couldn't find anything that was making the noise but they did install the se203 cam and adjustable pushrods and new lifters at my request. Still no change, it makes the noise all the time just by turning the throttle just a little. I have put about 8000 miles on it sounding this way but now it is getting worse and I am really starting to worry about going on rides with it. Had another shop tear the motor out about 4000 miles ago and they found nothing wrong or even worn. Three weeks ago talked to another harley shop and the mechanic there said it was the compensator, I ordered the parts and just installed them, still no change. The noise increases in loudness and in time with motor rpm's and I need some help to figure out what to do next. At least it seems I have found some others that are having the same problem and maybe this can help us all get them fixed.

Old 06-04-2007, 08:10 PM
lawrence
Stage II

I was hoping someone on here had some more ideas, I really don't want to take it back to another Harley shop and pay them a bunch of money again to find nothing. Help!

Old 06-04-2007, 10:03 PM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

I've had the same noise. Had my lifters replaced with Jims Big Axle tappets, replaced pushrods with Rivera Taper lites, replaced the cam with an Andrews EV28. Still have the same noise. I also seem to have a little skip on the rear cylinder and mileage is down some to about 33 riding 2 up. I wonder if worn Stabilizers could cause it or I almost swear it sounds like rocker arms.
It initially was worse when on the throttle and would disappear when you coasted. Now it's evident all the time.

Ideas?

Bubba

Old 06-11-2007, 02:05 PM
67xlch
Advanced

Update on recent progress, which isn't much. So far I replaced the stock exhaust system and mufflers to listen to the noise better. Devised an oil presure guage at the sending unit and started the engine; lo and behold the noise was still there. sort of an intermittent marble-clanking sound. I could hear it more easiley with the stock exhaust system though. The oil pressure was 40-45 lbs. cold and I didn't want to run the engine long enough to warm the oil until I locate the noise. Next I'm taking it to a friend that is more experienced than me for an opinion. If anyone else learns anything about these strange noises's, let us know.

Old 08-06-2007, 07:43 PM
67xlch
Advanced

Two months later and I have learned from a more knowlegable Harley Mech. than me , that I need to check the rocker shaft support, valve train, rod clearence and cam bearings. My buddy said that the noise that he heard could be any of the above. Was hoping that he would say I was hearing things! Ha! There were a couple of folks replying to this thread; wonder if they have learned anything?

Old 08-08-2007, 07:59 PM
67xlch
Advanced

Voila! During my spare time over the last two days, I removed the heads, cylinders and valvetrain on my "99" and everything looked pristene. Upon removing the cam plate, I noticed the cams were pointing inward when they came out of the block. Upon taking the pressure off the tensioner the rear cam would wobble in the plate. I call this a classic inferior bearing failure. The perfect reason that the MOCO should have recalled them. I caught this noise early and nothing else seems to have been affected by the bad bearing. Even the tensioners are in good shape. Using Mobil One V-twin oil might have helped. Seems about time for 95 ci and a cam upgrade.

Old 08-10-2007, 09:44 PM
biker69r
Intermediate

67xlch:
I also ride a '99 FLHTC with the early affected engine and its' inherent problems. When I go on a ride, I am very alert in listening for any unusual engine noises; so it's not a truly enjoyable riding experience like it should be. .I have 28,000 miles on it...I will be more attentive in listening for those noises you described......Thanks for sharing your story.

Old 08-14-2007, 07:29 PM
67xlch
Advanced

biker69r-----If I were you. I would go to the official HD website and type in the vin#. That will tell you when the engine was mfg.'ed and give you information on the service bulletin for the cam bearing repair kit. From what I have read, at around 25000 mi. the cam tensioners should be checked. Mine are worn to the point that the inner one especially should be changed. Apparently, it is more worn because of the cam movement due to the bearing failure. This forum has tons of info should you want to know more. By the way, Andrews has a kit to convert to hydraulic tensioners. I am currently trying to get some info on that. Good luck and ride safely.

Quick Reply: engine or drive train noise ?