Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Do Twin Cams make alot of noise?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2005 | 11:02 AM
Retired_Ted
Road Warrior
Default RE: Do Twin Cams make alot of noise?

There is a lot of noise that comes from the TC88 - I believe most of it comes from the valve train which I can hear at cruising speeds (even with SEII's). I have installed the M6 automatic primary chain adjuster and, apparently due to the constant tension on the chain, there is a "whurring" sound coming from that area too - it disappears as rpm's increase (or is overshadowed by the other sounds). One definitely gets an appreciation of all the workings of an infernal combustion engine when that TC88 starts up - I love it!

Old 07-05-2005 | 12:06 PM
mchaous
Cruiser

It's interesting to note that my 2004 Fatboy makes more noise when I have the removable windscreen on then when it's off. It seems you can here the EFI and the valves and even the front brake pads when it's on.

But I'd rather have the bugs hit the windscreen then me on the freeway. So I only ride with it off if I'm on the streets. I live with the noise but then at least I can hear if somethings a miss. I've learned and no what to expect so if something is wrong I will here the difference.

Mark

Old 07-05-2005 | 11:07 PM
Wolf
Road Captain

This is "spot on" with my experience with my twin cam and the windshield on or off. All engines make noise no matter who makes them.

ORIGINAL: mchaous

It's interesting to note that my 2004 Fatboy makes more noise when I have the removable windscreen on then when it's off. It seems you can here the EFI and the valves and even the front brake pads when it's on.

But I'd rather have the bugs hit the windscreen then me on the freeway. So I only ride with it off if I'm on the streets. I live with the noise but then at least I can hear if somethings a miss. I've learned and no what to expect so if something is wrong I will here the difference.

Mark

Old 07-06-2005 | 04:00 AM
Bikerbojo
Intermediate

Hi Traveler,
Yes HArley engines are historically noisey. You have to remember that they are pushrod engines and the pushrod tubes amplify the slightest noises. That combined with the cam set up and the chains dragging over the tensioners etc.
If you just do regular maitenance and do not over fill the oil resivoir or you will make it noiser and that also goes for the primary as well.
If your book calls for 28 ozs. of primary fliud then that is all you put in there and while you are in there make sure your primary chain is properly adjusted too.
A too tight drive belt will make all kinds of noise as will one that's to loose. Good maitenance is so very important right from the very first day you bring your new baby home.
I suggested this on another board and for the most part it was pretty well accepted. A few people got their panties in a wad and that may have been the way I wrote it but if you are new to bikes or just new to Harleys then take an evening to read your owners manual and watch that lovely video they give you. It's kind of corny but there is some good info in it so it's worth a look.
By all means buy a Factory Service Manual and a Parts Manual and have them for reference when you are working on your bike. Just having the parts manual saves both you and the parts guy so much time and trouble when you are forearmed with the correct parts numbers already written down and ready to be told they don't have it but can order it for you. LOL Side Snippet there.
Remember everyone that if you don't get any kinds of deals from your dealer on parts and accesories there are options.
You can get 20% off on parts from the following H-D dealers and some have better shipping than others but they are:

Benjy's H-D in Huntington, W.Va, when you call ask for Jenni and tell her Spiderman from Roswell, NM sent you.
Hales H-D,
Zanottis H-D,
Surdyke H-D,
Chicago H-D.
Those are a few and I am sorry I don't have their numbers readily available but you can get them from doing a web search.
Chicago advertises or did advertise MSRP on all new bikes. Don't know if they still do or not but if you are looking for a new bike keep them in mind if you live in that area.
If you are in the New Hampshire area then check out Heritage H-D in Concord, NH and ask for Stephanie Mobbs. Again tell Steph that Spiderman sent you and she will take very good care of you.
In the phoenix are check out Buddy Stubbs new store. They had some awesome prices on bikes when I was out there during AZ Bikeweek this spring. Mr. Stubbs said to a large crowd of us that those prices will remain in effect and he is there to sell motorcycles and not have them taking up space on his showroom floor. The gals were pretty that worked there, ( I don't think I have seen an ugly gal in Phoenix yet. LOL )and everyone was very helpful.
Hope some of this info helps out everyone and someone can get some good use out of it. SpiderJim.