Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

What have you guys used for bolt in cams?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 09:07 PM
lt1tyrell
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What have you guys used for bolt in cams?

Got an 06 softail fuel injected, still an 88". I was just wondering what you guys run for bolt in cams and if you are happy with them. Bike has 15,000 miles on it and it does have a SERT already. Anyways I dont want to spend very much money so I am having trouble deciding on chains or gears...I have looked at the hq-0034 cams and apparently they make lots of power. I will be cutting out the old pushrods and putting in new adjustables but someday I might do a 95 kit along with some mild head work.

Old 05-02-2011, 09:17 PM
jurgie
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lt1tyrell
Got an 06 softail fuel injected, still an 88". I was just wondering what you guys run for bolt in cams and if you are happy with them. Bike has 15,000 miles on it and it does have a SERT already. Anyways I dont want to spend very much money so I am having trouble deciding on chains or gears...I have looked at the hq-0034 cams and apparently they make lots of power. I will be cutting out the old pushrods and putting in new adjustables but someday I might do a 95 kit along with some mild head work.
510 mackie cams 88ci pulls from idle to5500rpm. likes 8.8 to 9.8 comp. I like em....

Old 05-02-2011, 10:42 PM
lt1tyrell
Cruiser

Originally Posted by jurgie
510 mackie cams 88ci pulls from idle to5500rpm. likes 8.8 to 9.8 comp. I like em....
Ok thanks, did you use a gear or chain drive? I still might get ambitious and pull the heads to put in a thin head gaskets. Also, what pushrods did you use?

Old 05-03-2011, 03:57 AM
jerrygilliam
Novice

I have run Andrews TW26 cams in a couple of stage 1, 88" bikes and liked a lot. Even left them in in one 95" build with head work and made 95hp with 103tq and a lot of fun to ride. 26 likes about 9.6 comp but will make a good improvement in a basically stock (breather, pipes, tuner) bike as well. As far as chain versus gears, if you decide to go to gears gotta be careful about run out. I put the SE hydraulic conversion in one of mine and like it real well. You get an upgraded oil pump along with much improved chain tensioners and no sweat with run out. Good luck, lots of options

Old 05-03-2011, 05:17 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 587 Posts

Originally Posted by lt1tyrell
Another option is to bore to 98", and a variety of cams can be used depending upon your riding style, and if you ride with a passenger.
Wood TW-6G's, Andrews 37's, are 2, VERY, popular cam grinds that we use here.
105 hp and 110 ft/lbs is in easy reach, set up correctly.
Scott

Old 05-03-2011, 06:07 AM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

All of the cams mentioned are good, but most do like a bit more compression. The HQ0034 is a great bolt in at stock compression , and with a free flowing intake and exhaust, you willl like the results .

Old 05-03-2011, 09:11 AM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 148 Posts

Runnin 21's in a stock 88" with a 2n1. It runs much better now. Im poor so I'd just leave the 21's in with a 95" kit. Seems like you have more cash so for a 95" look into the new Andrews 48n and their conversion hydraulic tensioner kit that includes the higher volume oil pump. You can also piece the parts together to save some cash as they are hd. The 48 is a higher lift cam compared to the 26, 37... but our 06 heads are the same as later model bikes and it will work perfectly.

Old 05-03-2011, 09:51 AM
lt1tyrell
Cruiser

Well thanks for the cam suggestions, I will look into all of them. So the Screamin Eagle hyrdaulic kit works very well? Any advantage to the SE over the andrews kit? Are they fairly easy to install? I have never worked on twin cams but I have done Evo top ends and cam swaps.

Old 05-03-2011, 03:41 PM
Wild Grover
Cruiser

Ran the 034's from HQ in my '02 Heritage and like mentioned very good all around cams. Buddy is putting them in his '04 Heritage. I've since moved on to the HQ95st setup and that is very strong runner.

Old 05-03-2011, 03:51 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

The Andrews kit uses the stock type cam plate vice the SE billet cam plate FWIW ... not sure how much difference that makes ...

Also, not sure if the Andrews kit uses a high capacity oil pump ....

If you are not making regular trips to the drag strip, the Andrews 21 or 26 would be good candidates for your setup ... and would likely pass over well to a 95" build ....

Nightrider dot com has a table of cam characteristics ... however, the data has gotten a few years old and a little stale ... doesn't include some of the popular Woods and other makers' cams ....

R/
'Chop

Quick Reply: What have you guys used for bolt in cams?