Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

What have you guys used for bolt in cams?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 04:38 PM
prodrag1320
Banned
Received 622 Likes on 398 Posts

S&S .510`s are a good "cams only,no big bore" choice,but i would go 95" or 98",really opens up alot of other options

Old 05-03-2011, 05:39 PM
Weevil
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm running the infamous "mouse cam on stilts" setup. Basically a 95" set up at 9.5:1 static compression with Andrews 21G cams, SE high ratio rockers (1.725") and stage II heads . Plenty of power when I need it. However, I wouldn't hesitate to bolt in a set of HQ's 0034's or the Woods TW6's. Both are good cams for what you're looking for.

Different strokes for different folks, right.

Old 05-03-2011, 06:55 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by lt1tyrell
Well thanks for the cam suggestions, I will look into all of them. So the Screamin Eagle hyrdaulic kit works very well? Any advantage to the SE over the andrews kit? Are they fairly easy to install? I have never worked on twin cams but I have done Evo top ends and cam swaps.
Given your experience, you will have no problems with installation. Replace inner cam bearings with b148's. imo - The Andrews kit is better then the HD SE kit as it replaces the older style inner cam chain with the newer style, same as 07+ bikes. Both have the new high volume oil pump.

Google Herko. He sells a "complete" kit that is very popular. Definitely worth a phone call.

http://www.flyingwperformance.com/

Old 05-03-2011, 06:55 PM
04 rkcrr
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put some HQ-0034 in my 04 RK this winter and I'm very impressed with the added power. Well worth the money spent.

Old 05-04-2011, 12:15 AM
lt1tyrell
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KumaRide
Given your experience, you will have no problems with installation. Replace inner cam bearings with b148's. imo - The Andrews kit is better then the HD SE kit as it replaces the older style inner cam chain with the newer style, same as 07+ bikes. Both have the new high volume oil pump.

Google Herko. He sells a "complete" kit that is very popular. Definitely worth a phone call.

http://www.flyingwperformance.com/
Thanks I will check that out

Old 05-04-2011, 12:16 AM
lt1tyrell
Cruiser

Originally Posted by lt1tyrell
Thanks I will check that out

Did you use chain or gears? Did you just install them in an 88" engine or did you go 95? New pushrods or just the stockers? Thanks!

Old 05-04-2011, 12:17 AM
lt1tyrell
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 04 rkcrr
I put some HQ-0034 in my 04 RK this winter and I'm very impressed with the added power. Well worth the money spent.

Did you use chain or gears? Did you just install them in an 88" engine or did you go 95? New pushrods or just the stockers? Thanks!

Old 05-04-2011, 04:31 AM
04 rkcrr
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put new tensioners in, Which the old ones showed hardly any wear. New inner cam bearings, New black -op lifters, Stiffer oil pump spring, oil pump o-rings and se tappered adjustable pushrods. The bike had about 28,500 on the clock. I highly recommend the HQ-0034 cam.

Old 05-04-2011, 09:14 AM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,221 Likes on 1,607 Posts

In addition to the differences between the SE Hybrid and the Andrews (OEM) cam tensioner/roller chain upgrade, the SE kit will allow the use of the early cams while the Andrews (OEM) kit will require conversion cams. The early cam plates require roller bearings in the cam plate but the '07 and later cam plates did not; the cams ran in the parent material of the cam plate. Both would be an upgrade from stock; since you are buying new cams, either will work but you will have to decide on which upgrade you will use before purchasing cams. Gear drives are, IMHO, more trouble than they are worth and either of the cam plate upgrades would be a better choice.

Old 05-04-2011, 10:28 AM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Did a little excerpt of the Nightrider cam spreadsheet ((c) Stephen P. Mullen, Oldsmar, FL) showing some of the bolt in cams mentioned ... only thing is the Tman 590 does not indicate it is bolt in ... at .590" lift right at the outer limit of what the stock valve springs can handle ....

A good 'primer' or tutorial on Harley cams can be found at: http://www.harley-riders-guide.com/h...dson-cams.html

Not sure if you really need it or not ... but, might be a good read for some newbs who happen across this thread (at the minimum) ... explains duration, lobe separation angle, lift, etc. pretty well ....

As the Harley Rider's Guide tutorial explains, the intake valve closing (IVC) event will dictate where in the RPM curve most torque is generated ... earlier IVC will tend to produce torque lower in the RPM curve ....

Good luck ... and let us know what you decide ....

R/
'Chop

Quick Reply: What have you guys used for bolt in cams?