Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Engine RPM Spike, Won't Return to Idle

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 08:14 AM
Skunky82
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Engine RPM Spike, Won't Return to Idle

While bike was warming up this morning RPMs jumped up and wouldn't return to normal. Sounded like someone was just rev'in the **** out of it.

Immediately shut the bike down and let it sit for a few minutes. Started it up again and engine was idling fine so I gingerly took it down the street.

Accelerating from dead stop seemed fine, but when letting off throttle and shifting to 2nd RPMs didn't drop at all, same from 2nd to 3rd. Turned around and got the bike back home. Didn't have time to start looking at anything since I had to leave for work.
Any suggestions on what I can start troubleshooting once I get home?

So far I plan on checking throttle cable adjustment to see if anythings catching. If that ends up being good I'll take the ViEDs off and start it back up. After that I'm at a loss.
I'm figuring the worse case scenario is that moisture got in the ViEDs and my ECM got fried...pretty much f#cked if that's the case.

2010 Iron 883
Mods to bike are Rush Slip-ons, SE Intake, and ViEDs from Nightrider Performance.

Old 05-02-2011, 09:21 AM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If ECM was fried probably wouldn't work at all.

One thing it could be---not limited to just this though.

I had a leaking through fuel injector once. Threw a O2 code. There is no code for injectors but as the ECM tries to cut fuel, and it can't, the O2 gets out of range. Also cause a lot of cold sweat while happening.

If not the cable could be another sensor involved.