Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

does installing an after market exhaust void warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 10:38 PM
panama967
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default does installing an after market exhaust void warranty?

Hello everyone

I am planning on installing 2:1 exhaust pipes on my new Fat Boy Lo.

First, does this affect or void the bike's warranty?

Second, I've been told that I would need to re-calibrate the engine and change the air filer. Is this true?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by panama967; 04-27-2011 at 10:11 AM.
Old 04-27-2011, 02:10 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

This is something of a controversial topic on the forum and a frequently asked question ....

Under US law, the Magnusson Moss Act should prevent a manufacturer from instinctively voiding a product warranty absent a showing a product alteration directly caused a defective condition ....

However, distributors frequently flout or ignore this provision of the law ... and make reckless claims with reference to modifications voiding warranties ....

Another aspect of the law is that of enforcement ... if one suggests that the offending dealer / manager / repairman is 'off base' and you are legally protected ... they will clam up and get uncooperative ... if you actually have to involve legal counsel, everyone loses ....

So ... seems the answer is 'yes' and 'no' ....

The commonly accepted answer is that adding free flowing exhaust does not require an electronic fuel injection (EFI) calibration ....

Adding a free flowing air cleaner (A/C) with the exhaust change will require an EFI calibration ... the rationale is that if the air flow restriction from the exhaust only is 'corrected' the 'bottleneck' of the A/C still exists and the air flow will not vary significantly from the stock condition ... if, on the other hand, both exhaust and A/C air flow restrictions are lifted, more air will flow relative to the fuel programmed in the stock EFI controller ... thus, the motor will become lean (and run hotter) ... at that point either the stock EFI controller will need to be 're-programmed' ('flash' or 'download') or an aftermarket solution 'add-on or piggy-back' or a replacement EFI system will be needed ....

Welcome aboard and good luck with your new Lo ....

R/
'Chop

Old 04-27-2011, 04:14 PM
panama967
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SURFOR Chop
This is something of a controversial topic on the forum and a frequently asked question ....

Under US law, the Magnusson Moss Act should prevent a manufacturer from instinctively voiding a product warranty absent a showing a product alteration directly caused a defective condition ....

However, distributors frequently flout or ignore this provision of the law ... and make reckless claims with reference to modifications voiding warranties ....

Another aspect of the law is that of enforcement ... if one suggests that the offending dealer / manager / repairman is 'off base' and you are legally protected ... they will clam up and get uncooperative ... if you actually have to involve legal counsel, everyone loses ....

So ... seems the answer is 'yes' and 'no' ....

The commonly accepted answer is that adding free flowing exhaust does not require an electronic fuel injection (EFI) calibration ....

Adding a free flowing air cleaner (A/C) with the exhaust change will require an EFI calibration ... the rationale is that if the air flow restriction from the exhaust only is 'corrected' the 'bottleneck' of the A/C still exists and the air flow will not vary significantly from the stock condition ... if, on the other hand, both exhaust and A/C air flow restrictions are lifted, more air will flow relative to the fuel programmed in the stock EFI controller ... thus, the motor will become lean (and run hotter) ... at that point either the stock EFI controller will need to be 're-programmed' ('flash' or 'download') or an aftermarket solution 'add-on or piggy-back' or a replacement EFI system will be needed ....

Welcome aboard and good luck with your new Lo ....

R/
'Chop

Chop, thanks a lot.

for what it's worth for other Harley owners, I called my local dealer again and without any explanation about pipe brand or who would do the job, they immediately said that it doesn't affect the warranty.

About the EFI calibration, I will do it once the pipes are on. It's an expensive bike and I guess it would not be smart not to protect my investment for a few hundred dollars more.