Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Which octane do you prefer in your V-twin?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2005, 03:12 PM
Beefcake
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which octane do you prefer in your V-twin?

I've been running 87 octane, but I wanted to know if any of you have noticed a difference when you run a higher grade petrol?

Old 07-02-2005, 05:08 PM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 152 Likes on 43 Posts
Default RE: Which octane do you prefer in your V-twin?

Some say that you only need enough to keep it from pinging, but I run 93 in everything I own. My MDX (acura) runs very well on 93, but I tried a tankfull of 91 and the MPG went down and the performance dropped off a bit, so 93 it is for me. Conversly some say in the winter to use a lower octane for a slower burn but I still use the 93 year round. Some things are hard to change.

Old 07-02-2005, 06:04 PM
1200c
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been running 87 octane, but I wanted to know if any of you have noticed a difference when you run a higher grade petrol?
Doesn't the manual say to use at least 91 octane?

Here is ROUGHLY the way it works, lower compression lower octane, higher compressin higher octane.

In my bike, I run 93 octane because there's no 91 around here and 93 is all they have. If there was 91 around here, then I would still probably run 93 octane.

You might be able to notice a difference on the octane you run if you have EFI. Some computers compensate for the fuel your running. For example, a 4.3L Vortec engine (car) will produce much more power on higher octane. My Honda civic will get 20mpg when I run 87 octane in it. When I put 93 octane in it, then it will get 26mpg and it feels like it produces more power. Either way acceleration is much smoother on the higher octane fuel.

Some people have said that they see worse/no results putting a higher octane fuel into a low compression engine.

What octane to use? The one where your engine doesn't ping.

Old 07-02-2005, 06:06 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,856 Likes on 807 Posts

I use Sunoco Gold 94 unless I need to fill up and there's no Sunoco around. Then I will use the highest octane available, which is usually 91.

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 07-02-2005, 06:11 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts

Used to run 93, but switched to 91 as an experiment. Gas mileage stayed the same, and it doesn't ping, even in 100 F heat.

Old 07-02-2005, 06:13 PM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Beefcake,

A lot of it has to do with the compression ratio your engine has, 9 to 1 and above at least 93 Octane, what most people don't realize is that the higher the octane number the cooler the burn is, the lower octane burns hotter, the EPA had a lot to do with this and this is why most modern engines don't have higher compression engines, to meet EPA emisson cleaner burning engines, and they actually run better on the lower octane fuel for which they were designed for with the lower compression. One rule of thumb, high performance, high compression, high octane. On a bike, 10.5 to 1 is about as high as one should go and still be o-k if you can't get 93 at some remote station.

There is a lot more scientific info on this subject. I just skimmed the top.

John TN

Old 07-02-2005, 07:10 PM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 152 Likes on 43 Posts

Any body in my catagory and remember the VW bug, I did a lot of work on them and they requires 91 octane in the owners manual back then early 70's. I had a 73 toyota corolla 4 speed back in 75 that was a real dog of a car on regular gas, 1.4 engine I think. I tried one day putting in hi test and the darn thing flew, it spun the tires and all, I just couldn't believe the difference in that car. Still don't to this day.

Old 07-02-2005, 08:55 PM
jcc/tx
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The gas companies must love you fellas. Lowest octane that does not ping heavily under load will get the best mileage/dollar (as noted above, some engines with good knock sensors can make a bit more power with higher octane). Sure can't explain the results with the bug tho???

Old 07-02-2005, 09:45 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,270 Likes on 1,976 Posts

When I bought my Harley, the manual recommended that I use premium. I have been using premium ever since I bought it, I haven't tried anything else.

Old 07-02-2005, 09:50 PM
Peekaboo Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The highest octane available at the station I stop at. I try to buy only top name brand gas.

Steve

Quick Reply: Which octane do you prefer in your V-twin?