Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Replacement air filter question....

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 08:03 PM
SurfGuitar141
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement air filter question....

I'm looking to replace the paper air filter on my 2003 Fat Boy with a K&N, I look up the numbers for said replacement and it tells me the HD-1499, yet that filter doesn't look anything like the one that's on my bike now.
The present filter very closely resembles the filter marked for the 2005 Screaming Eagle Fat Boy...round cone with a 6.5" base, 5.5" top, three mounting holes for the filter with a centered hole for the cover screw, and a thick rubber gasket around the top for the cover to rest against.
It still has the stock 100 Year Anniversary cover, just not the same filter the catalog claims should go under it.....???

Can I assume that the previous owner had the stock filter changed out to a Screaming Eagle, and that's why the K&N HD-0800 appears to be the correct fit, or did the fuel injected Fat Boys in 2003 come stock with the Screaming Eagle air intake.....???

At over 50 bucks a pop for these filters, I just want to be absolutely sure I get the right one before I rip it out of the packaging and can't return it....

Old 04-01-2011, 03:44 PM
SurfGuitar141
Tourer

Nobody here seemed to have an answer for me, so I took my old filter to the dealer, confirmed it is in fact the Screaming Eagle Hi-Performance intake that I have, purchased a new SE filter since they didn't have the K&N replacement in stock...(however they did confirm the K&N HD-0800 is the correct replacement filter)....and also picked up a plain round 8" cover which I think looks much better than that obnoxiously big football.....(more of an old school look that I like).......

Old 04-01-2011, 11:34 PM
JimmieJack
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like the look of the plain cover too - "sometimes less is more".

Is the new filter you got a "clean and oil" or a throw away???

Jimmie

Old 04-02-2011, 05:29 AM
ardakota
Road Captain
Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

if thats an older se filter those were wash and oil type filters just like a k@n I think the filters with black gaskets were. I cleaned mine and reoiled turned out just like a new filter.

Old 04-02-2011, 08:51 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 820 Likes on 585 Posts

We always reccommend the largest filter that will be comfortable, ie legroom.
You'd be mighty surprised that how much difference there is, at the point of dyno tuning, if you pull with, without, with even some of the bigger units.
Bob Wood has his 325 cfm element that goes under the Evo-style cover, and we offer the largest(3.5" thick) on the market that fits under the T/C football cover.
Scott

Old 04-02-2011, 06:02 PM
SurfGuitar141
Tourer

Originally Posted by JimmieJack

Is the new filter you got a "clean and oil" or a throw away???

Jimmie
The new filter...(like the old one)....is good for a couple of cleanings, but I was told not to oil it since the media is not the same as the K&N. It was recommended that I use the K&N cleaning solution, and tap water to clean, shake out excess water, then allow to air dry.....

I personally prefer K&N filters, put them in everything I own, buy them once, keep them clean and oiled, they last the life of the vehicle. They have their nay sayers, but they have proven themselves to me over the years.....