Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Crank is .001 out of spec.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 09:49 PM
kink04fxd
Tourer
Received 210 Likes on 97 Posts

Worser? Is that how they say it in joysy?

Old 03-27-2011, 11:32 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 587 Posts

Originally Posted by kink04fxd
Worser? Is that how they say it in joysy?
Hey Kink,
What year is that Evinrude??
Scott

Old 03-27-2011, 11:41 AM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ONEDOWNAND5UP
My buddy took his bike in for cam chain tensioners and upon inspection, they found the crank had .001 play on the oil pump. Now .001 is a very small number and acceptable is .003. So his is .004. We are having a new style cam plate and cams lifters etc. he simply can't afford a complete overhaul at $3300.00 plus labor for the exchange.
Is he doomed for another early shop visit?

Mark
I wouldn't be comfortable with.004. I would definitely check it again in 6 months to see if it's growing, or stable.
He ain't gonna have the smoothest riding bike. I darn sure wouldn't make a hot rod out of it.

But I do see the reluctance for a complete overhaul. Ouch!

As Scott at Hillside said, I have seen .035 to .005 on brand new engines.
Yes, and the .005 guys are beating down the service doors with complaints of ruff riding and vibrations, only to be told "it's in spec".

Old 03-27-2011, 12:39 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Faast Ed
I wouldn't be comfortable with.004. I would definitely check it again in 6 months to see if it's growing, or stable.
He ain't gonna have the smoothest riding bike. I darn sure wouldn't make a hot rod out of it.

But I do see the reluctance for a complete overhaul. Ouch!

Yes, and the .005 guys are beating down the service doors with complaints of ruff riding and vibrations, only to be told "it's in spec".
Mine may be the exception but I have .005 on the cam side of my 2010 Triglide and its not vibrating. I'm going to ride it until the oil pump ***** the bed then I'll address the crank.

Old 03-27-2011, 04:53 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by msocko3
Mine may be the exception but I have .005 on the cam side of my 2010 Triglide and its not vibrating. I'm going to ride it until the oil pump ***** the bed then I'll address the crank.
I don't know enough about trikes to know how much of the vibes the suspension absorbs. All my experienced is based on 2 wheelers.

Hearing your story makes me think you have an advantage there.
Please let us know if your situation changes.

.005 is a number that would definately halt an upgrade in progress, if it were in my garage. No way would I intall parts that I already had inhand, (for a motor upgrade), knowing the likelyhood was high that I'd be splitting the cases in the future.
I'd either put it back together stock while I planned my next move, or tear into it further to get the crank trued and welded.

.005 is unacceptable. (my opinion)

Old 03-27-2011, 05:45 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Faast Ed
I don't know enough about trikes to know how much of the vibes the suspension absorbs. All my experienced is based on 2 wheelers.

Hearing your story makes me think you have an advantage there.
Please let us know if your situation changes.

.005 is a number that would definately halt an upgrade in progress, if it were in my garage. No way would I intall parts that I already had inhand, (for a motor upgrade), knowing the likelyhood was high that I'd be splitting the cases in the future.
I'd either put it back together stock while I planned my next move, or tear into it further to get the crank trued and welded.

.005 is unacceptable. (my opinion)
I agree .005 is unacceptable, there are lots of things the MoCo is doing that should be a crime, their customer service dept is terrible. Only things I've done to the trike is some cams and exhaust, figure I'll ride it and keep an eye out for any impending problems.

Old 03-28-2011, 02:44 PM
Kingofcubes
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a 03 engine here that a guy brought in that only has .001 runout but has been whipping the pinion shaft all around, has distroyed the oil pump, and egged the pinion bushing in the cam plate to where it has .006" clearance to the pinion shaft top to bottom.
Another engine here that has 90,000 on it with an S&S 124 crank has a similar problem at .007" bushing to shaft clearance. If the pinion's roller bearing has more than .001" clearance to the shaft the end of the shaft will whip, the assembly will flex under severe duty, and the shaft or bushing will take a beating.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:46 AM
biker1usa1
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default crank specs

I have a 2003 softail heritage classic , 590 high lift cams with gear drive . I was told that my crank is .005 out . This doesn't seem like a lot to me. He seems to think that I need a rebuild , only have 37,800 miles on it . I would appreciate any and all help with this. So please reply my brothers and sisters.
Biker1USA1

Old 04-14-2011, 01:23 PM
paul s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Hillsidecycle.com
Hey Kink,
What year is that Evinrude??
Scott
My Brother has one that looks older than that one, it's in great shape also.

Old 04-14-2011, 03:56 PM
Kingofcubes
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ONEDOWNAND5UP
The bike is an 01 Ultra Classic. Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback.
See if the shop checked the pinion shaft end for wear and clearance to the bushing, this may shed more light on what to do. We often replace the bushings in the stock plates. If the shaft is not that worn and the bushing has a lot of clearance like a lot of these we see. Another option would be a billet cam plate to stabilize things. The feel that I have for this is the pinion bearing may be a little too loose for the guy's riding style so the billet plate will help for a while.