Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

What kind of power can a stock crank take?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 08:48 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

You guys need to remember that Brian is SELLING services in that video. The straight bearing is installed in the 120Rs. We will see this summer, with the Hot Bagger class how well straight bearings hold up. Myself... I have NOT heard of a SINGLE SE upgrade straight bearing failure and assembly IS easier. There MAY have been a few failures early on... like 04-06, but since 09? Doubt it.

If I had a 'do over'... I would NOT have installed the timken in my bike. And I have 118 TQ with 100tq from 2500 thru 5500

Finally... me and Don disagree!!!

Last edited by wurk_truk; 03-14-2011 at 09:04 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:51 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by HemiDak-Quad
I built my last bike in 2004, I built the motor with 4" pistons Roller rockers , Ported & polished heads , Tuned True Duall-exhaust, and used a stock 1999 crank and connecting rods..I ride harder than most people and I haven't had any probloms with it..
Sled took my bike in 2009 saying they think something was stolen on it.I had to sue them to get it back "Iv'e had it back for a week"-..So now it's time to upgrade my fuel system..I have the Magnetti Marelli EFI, and it don't feed this 110 ci motor enough fuel.I'm not close to getting the horses available from this motor..
I would like to stay with the M&M efi and find a way to make it perform.I have a power commander in but I don't think my fuel injectors are big enough..
any ideas ?
Start a new thread, don't hijack this one.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:16 PM
arealinvestor
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bigjoe1
When is it advisable to beef up the stock crank. At what level of torque or horsepower? Just wondering?
I would use 100 squared as my guide.anything more than that;do the upgrade!!!

Old 03-14-2011, 10:26 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,227 Likes on 1,611 Posts

Originally Posted by qtrracer
So is this issue Harley Davidson specific? Is this only an issue to the stock bearing? Will an upgraded straight roller bearing stand up to the abuse of higher HP? I'm not trying to bust your *****, just trying to get a handle on the why's of a straight roller bearing vs a tapered in this application.
The why for the MoCo is to reduce cost. Case assembly is easier with straight roller; no end play to deal with. The tapered bearing assembly on the clutch side of the crank is two tapered bearings that have to be assembled, torqued and end play measured. Once the end play is defined, the proper shim/spacer can be installed between the two bearings and cases assembled.

The "Lefty" bearing is the '07 upgrade, so if you have a later model, run it. My '02 had the Timken and I run the OEM bearings in the 107" in that bike. I also have an '05 95" running a completely stock lower unit. However, I will increase the displaeement on that engine in the not to distant future and will have the choice to upgrade to the Timken or the new Lefty roller. Since both are upgrades, I wlll go the Timken route. The Lefty may be stout enough but the Timken, IMHO, is more stout.

Only time will tell how the Lefty bearing will hold up in the 120R.

Old 03-15-2011, 05:57 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 587 Posts

The dual tapered Timken bearings are super-strong, and we install them, BUT I will say this, that prior, to the advent of the conversion kits, we had several 116" S&S combo's, and a couple of 124"ers, we built, that are still in service, that were all well north of 135 hp/torque and have no issues still to date.
It's not the bearing that takes a crap, but the crank.
Once it sissors, it starts to gobble up the pump, the cam plate, and in certain cases, the bearings.
Scott

Old 03-15-2011, 08:44 AM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member

I agree with Scotty. MY crank scissored and I didn't really see any damage with the bearings. But.. I realize seeing isn't everything, so I DID the Timken and installed a SE Lefty on the right side.

AFter words... I have watched 4 different forums closely, along with my friends' various shops, and have NOT heard of a Lefty failure, so I have rethought the Timken thing. I, nowadays, recommend the Lefty to DIYers, because it is a much easier set up. Not everyone can set the Timken endplay correctly, but an INA is a piece of cake.

Yes... a Timken IS a stouter piece and surely CAN take more abuse... but... where is THAT line? 120s are running 130 to 140 torque and the Hurricanes are even more. I'm going to TRUST the MOCO on this one (stupid me?)... the 120 is meant to KILL the aftermarket... if it needed a Timken... it would have come with one. This time next year... this question WILL be answered.

Last edited by wurk_truk; 03-15-2011 at 08:56 AM.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:25 AM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Interesting data.
More than one way to improve this situation.
I have to check in to the SE upgrade straight bearing, if thats what it is.
Maybe like the cam bearings upgrade which goes with captured bearings rollers and more of them.

I see the SE upgrade is not captured roller like Torrington types.
I wonder if one of those would work though. Maybe SKF.
Or is needed with the SE available?

Course gotta go with the people you are doing business with. Kinda a package.

Last edited by Old Gunny; 03-16-2011 at 09:35 AM.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:06 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by djl
The why for the MoCo is to reduce cost. Case assembly is easier with straight roller; no end play to deal with. The tapered bearing assembly on the clutch side of the crank is two tapered bearings that have to be assembled, torqued and end play measured. Once the end play is defined, the proper shim/spacer can be installed between the two bearings and cases assembled.

The "Lefty" bearing is the '07 upgrade, so if you have a later model, run it. My '02 had the Timken and I run the OEM bearings in the 107" in that bike. I also have an '05 95" running a completely stock lower unit. However, I will increase the displaeement on that engine in the not to distant future and will have the choice to upgrade to the Timken or the new Lefty roller. Since both are upgrades, I wlll go the Timken route. The Lefty may be stout enough but the Timken, IMHO, is more stout.

Only time will tell how the Lefty bearing will hold up in the 120R.
Thanks, I did understand the cost aspect and when I want to increase to a bit bigger motor, I now know the Lefty should be the minimum upgrade to consider.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:46 PM
HemiDak-Quad
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idiots

Originally Posted by wurk_truk
Start a new thread, don't hijack this one.
Try real hard to sound smart, but the truth is you don't know shet about Harley's .Eventually everyone will figure you out and laugh as you write stupid crap..
In the meantime keep writing so it won't take so long for people to realize you're an Idiot..{I love my truk}

Old 03-15-2011, 10:54 PM
kkiley
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

HemiDak-Quad
5 posts and who's the idiot? You've swam into the deep end of the pool without your life preserver....

Quick Reply: What kind of power can a stock crank take?