Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

practical numbers from my bike

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 12:28 PM
editbrain
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks, troop. I know I sound like a little b!tc#. LOL....

Hell, Man, I stand in the aisle of a grocery store for 15 minutes or more tying to figure out what little debbie to buy.

Old 03-13-2011, 01:00 PM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by editbrain
Thanks, troop. I know I sound like a little b!tc#. LOL....

Hell, Man, I stand in the aisle of a grocery store for 15 minutes or more tying to figure out what little debbie to buy.
Ha... Join the crowd. I bought a set of 255's to use in my 96". Changed my mind, sold them and found a set of 204's. Then I added a set of 1.725 rockers along with .030 top end kit to bump compression. Sold all those and FINALLY settled on my build specs below. Bike is done and still at the dealer awaiting me to pick it up. Being in WI, it will be about 10 more days. I know I'm good for a few more years . I bet you'll be very satisfied.

Old 03-13-2011, 01:33 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I am just looking to get some more pull because of the tall gearing. I like the gearing, but feel the the motor needs a little more umph to utilize it. I was once interested in putting on a 30t pulley, but I do not want to mess with my speedometer being off. I have checked mine with a GPS, and it is spot on. I guess I got lucky.
I went with the 49 tooth clutch basket gear. Speedo still the same (or so it seems).
Gearing no longer feels too tall.

Add some power with that gearing and you get a taste of heaven. (not just during horseplay, but for everyday cruising as well).

Old 03-13-2011, 02:07 PM
Garcou
Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really, it's a couple hour job to slap them in, put them in, ride em for awhile, then make a decision to keep or upgrade. Speaking from experience the 255's are a lot if fun in a bagger, especially in the twistys. They do however fall off quickly. I know you say you dont ride in the high rpms, wait till it feels good! You'll change your tune!

Old 03-13-2011, 02:09 PM
Faast Ed
Banned

I know you say you dont ride in the high rpms, wait till it feels good! You'll change your tune!
Accurate statement.

Once you've had a taste, you want more and more and more! Especially fun on a light bike. (hint hint).

BTW: There is a reason that the 255's are affordable. Great for their application, but have that one weakness.

Old 03-13-2011, 06:33 PM
1931jamesw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Since you are on a budget and you have the ability to do the tuning, Id put the 255's in and run them for a little while because they are paid for. If you arent satisfied, sell them for the same money you've got in them and try the 204's. Then you will know what the 255's are by having tried them. If you think they are all you need, then you can go in for a professional tune. If they are clearly not for you, pull them out and put 204's in.

Old 03-13-2011, 06:36 PM
Faast Ed
Banned

Like he said, darn sure will answer all your questions, by trying them out and forming your own opinion.

Old 03-13-2011, 06:44 PM
editbrain
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

This is true. He has offered to help. I guess I will be in for push rods, and a cam change kit. I am guessing fuelmoto gasket/bearing kit for the price. Do not know which rods to go with. Read a lot about easy rods or something like that.

Old 03-13-2011, 08:08 PM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by editbrain
This is true. He has offered to help. I guess I will be in for push rods, and a cam change kit. I am guessing fuelmoto gasket/bearing kit for the price. Do not know which rods to go with. Read a lot about easy rods or something like that.
Another option is to remove the rocker boxes and use stock pushrods. A bit more labor but no worries about pushrod adjustment. Then again, adjustables would be easier if you opt for different cams down the road ....

Old 03-15-2011, 11:10 AM
HDWRENCH
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I ran the 255 in my own 96 inch 09 SG, they pulled very well. Not my type of cam but that is just riding style. However for a bolt in they do work very well in a 96 inch engine. There are many other "better" cams however dropping in a cam that really needs more compression and head work seems to really state that a big bore kit is a much better application for that given cam.

A Dyna with 255 cams in it will be very quick around town and still do very well out on the free way. Some guys have install larger cams in the 96 in the lighter bikes as they where told that the weight of the bike would help the lack of low end. Well we are pulling a set of the "better" cams as the customer is un happy with the fact that the engine was now soft under 3000 rpm. His mid range and top end was increased. However he was not keeping the RPMS high enough for normal riding.. Choosing the correct cam for say 80% of where you really ride is a better way to choose a cam. No matter who's name is on the cam.

Quick Reply: practical numbers from my bike