Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Exhaust performance question

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 11:54 AM
Z6969
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust performance question

Just put a set of Vance and Hines slip ons onto my 06 Dyna Super Glide (sreaming eagle A/C and fuelpak) Look and sound great, good throttle respone, pulls great, even better at 60-70mph.

The question is have alittle popping on decel at low speed not a backfire just a little uneven sound acceleration is smooth no problem. Should I be concerned about this? Took bike for 150 mile run cheched plugs looked good.

Is there any ajustments to the fuelpak settings to smooth the decel sound.

Any information would be helpful

Old 10-10-2006, 01:39 PM
jigman
Cruiser
Default RE: Exhaust performance question

Yes-enrichen the fuel mix. However, if the popping on decel is very minor, some consider that normal for a performance package. Personally, I had the same thing and made the adjustment to enrichen. When you say "plugs look fine" how long have you been monitoring them? If you don't do anything, keep a close eye on the plugs to see if they show signs of running hot and/or whitening. Good luck. there are some good threads regarding your situation already on this category.

Old 10-11-2006, 06:39 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 1,841 Posts

I run with the Fuelpak and found that I had a slight popping issue about a month after I put it on. I did some checking and found out that the muffler clamp had come loose on one of the slip ons and the muffler could be twisted around. There was also some blackish sooty material on the bottom of the muffs right at the joint where it was clamped indicating a slight leak. The V&H provided clamps suck. Check yours for a slight leak and change the clamps to the HD torca clamps and put them on the slit tabs right at the end of the muff and tighten them up good. Also check all the other connections at the heads. This might be your problem as it cured mine. The other advice is to periodically check the V&H website for updates to your Fuelpak as they often do update the maps. Also you can do mode 20 and 21(which are not in the instructions) to verify you properly completed mode 19. Undo those damn little screws on the cover and go to mode 20. You should see "11" that verifies you have the most current version. Then go to mode 21. You should see "0" Then roll on the throttle slowly (engine off) and the numbers should climb consecutively from 0-99. If it doesn't climb consecutively and just jumps right from 0-99 then you didn't properly complete mode 19 and you need to redo it. Lastly if none of that works contact V&H tech support (by phone, they take forever to answer an email!) and ask them for advice and they will help you tweak some numbers in the different modes. They don't seem to tell you what each mode is for in the instructions so you would need to call them.

Old 10-11-2006, 01:42 PM
Z6969
Intermediate

dawg,
Thanks for the info. Your advice is just what I was thinking. I will call V/H and get them to chech out the mode numbers for me.
Road last night and got a couple of back fires so I need to chech things out.

Frank T

Old 10-12-2006, 04:51 PM
Z6969
Intermediate

Spoke to Vance and Hines today about the popping on decel problem I was having with my 06 dyna. The tech gave me two options the quiet baffel will cut down the popping problem also gave me another map for the fuelpak to repalce the 0330 version. Will try out the new map this weekend.

Will let you know how it works out.

Frank T

Old 10-12-2006, 08:25 PM
jigman
Cruiser

I have a PCIII not a Fuelpak and have a questions. Do you folks with the Fuelpak have adjusters for leaning out or enriching fuel at a given RPM? That is how you fine tune the PCIII after you download the appropriate map. You can tweak all RPM ranges in an attempt to achieve perfection. Can you do that on the Fuelpak? Or do you have to go exactly with whatever the download is? Just curious-so if anyone asks I will know.

Old 10-12-2006, 11:28 PM
lschultz
Road Master

This was talked abour earlier on another thread I replyed to and I did not beleve it but it worked. I have the worthless Stage I download added a Kuryakyn Wild Things Fuel Injection Controller(Dobeck makes them) when I changed the mufflers to D&D Police Interceptor mufflers and Doherty air filter. Had it running good no popping in the exhaust and no farting back thru the throttle body and good mpg. Put a Fullsac true head pipe on and things changed a little still ran great. Georges told me some adjustments to make to the TFI and they just about got all of the popping in the exhaust out. But I rember reading about this to check your plug gap as some were checking and adjusting there gap and this was taking the popping in the exhaust out so I checked mine this morning. I put new plugs in it when I did the 10000 and they were set at .040 I increased the gap to .043 and rode it a little over 60 miles and guess what-- no popping in the exhaust on deceraltion. It is working for some of us.

Old 10-13-2006, 09:29 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 1,841 Posts

ORIGINAL: jigman

I have a PCIII not a Fuelpak and have a questions. Do you folks with the Fuelpak have adjusters for leaning out or enriching fuel at a given RPM? That is how you fine tune the PCIII after you download the appropriate map. You can tweak all RPM ranges in an attempt to achieve perfection. Can you do that on the Fuelpak? Or do you have to go exactly with whatever the download is? Just curious-so if anyone asks I will know.
According to V&H the Fuelpak maps that they provide are dyno tested. I would think that you can tweak the settings, but you would have to contact them to do so because they do not tell you what each mode is for. There are 18 modes that have values to them (other than the verification modes of 19-21). I'm sure one could probably sit there and put in different values in various modes without knowing what was what, but it would take one heck of a long time to test them out to see. V&H must be into the super secret squirrel crap and doesn't want to let anyone know what the modes are for

Old 10-13-2006, 02:28 PM
jigman
Cruiser

It wasnt difficult in my situation to very slightly enrichen the fuel mix at the low RPM range which got rid of the Popping on decel. Only had to increase 2%. Very easy to do on the PCIII-you can do it right on the unit itself by tapping the button under the low rpm heading a little at a time then test riding. For me it only took one tap.