Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Heads, no heads and P&P

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 09:14 AM
Rat1
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Heads, no heads and P&P

OK I just order a set of SE flattops for my 88. Going up to 95

Current setup is

05 Electraglide
Andrews 26
The older SE slippons
SE pro super tuner
SE stage one AC
Higher flow oil pump

It runs pretty strong with this setup so far. I just want to freshen up the top end and go with the 95 inch pistons

The question is. Should I just leave the heads alone, Get some 06 or newer heads (higher flowing) or get my stock heads worked a little?

I am not a racer and don't care to have the utmost performance to go out and race people. I would have bought a different bike if that was the idea.

I don't want to have to search for premium fuel either. Most of my riding leaves me in areas were decent 87 oct is hard to come by. I burn what ever I can find and my motor does not ping at all.

I know the least expensive would be just go with the stock heads.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:26 AM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I am not a racer and don't care to have the utmost performance to go out and race people. I would have bought a different bike if that was the idea.

I don't want to have to search for premium fuel either. Most of my riding leaves me in areas were decent 87 oct is hard to come by. I burn what ever I can find and my motor does not ping at all.
It runs pretty strong now, why bother doing anything at all to it?

If you are doing the 95", you should do at least a mild port job on your heads while they are off the bike,...... and have them CC'd to match the compression needs of the cam.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:40 AM
shineybike
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on what faast ed said. Get a street port job now while the top end is apart. It will save on labor and a second dyno tune later when you do decide to have the heads worked on.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:58 AM
Rat1
Road Master

Originally Posted by Faast Ed

If you are doing the 95", you should do at least a mild port job on your heads while they are off the bike,...... and have them CC'd to match the compression needs of the cam.
Because I am a pinhead. LOL Well honestly, I have a little extra cash on hand to burn would not mind having a little extra umph when I roll on the throttle. I don't want to drop a ton of cash into this project. I have a little over a grand to spend and I am thinking of having the local dealer do the assembly so I have some backup incase something hatches in the top end.

I turned wrenches for just over 20 years, built some heafty motors in that time ranging automotive stuff to high performance 2 stroke snowmobile stuff. I have the know how but just hate to even pull the drawers open on the tool box anymore. I should have listened to gramps when he told me to only do it as a hobby instead of making a career out of it.

So if I should get the heads worked slightly, who has the best bang for the buck for doing this?????

I have to blow as the boss just called and I have to go get a load and head out for the rest of the day so no time to try and search through any vendors. The big truck is waiting . LOL

Old 02-24-2011, 11:03 AM
Kingofcubes
Road Master

Most commonly used would be Big Boyz in Maine, R&R in New Hampshire, or Hillside in New York for this. We use R&R most of the time.

Old 02-24-2011, 12:07 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,221 Likes on 1,607 Posts

'05 was the worst year for H-D cyliner heads. Send them to BigBoyz for their street port, decking for compression, or, send them to Don Dorfman (Deweys Heads) for his "blueprint" port job, very similar to BigBoyz street port.

Old 02-24-2011, 06:52 PM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 587 Posts

Originally Posted by Faast Ed

I agree very much, with what Ed has mentioned.
If not opting for cylinder head port mods, at least equalize the cc's. and bring them to the chamber volume required to get the most from the cam, while staying within the confines of pump gas.
9.6 is the usual compression with that cam.
BTW, those cylinders can also be bored to 98", if so desired.
Scott

Old 02-24-2011, 07:43 PM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you can afford too I'm a fan of doing the heads. makes the whole package work better together

Old 02-25-2011, 10:37 AM
shineybike
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had some heads street ported at Big Boyz. Have not had them installed yet. I bought a set of 96" heads for the porting so I would not have the down time come riding season.

Old 02-25-2011, 03:52 PM
Rat1
Road Master

Well I got the estimate on the heads. Not sure I can make that jump right now. I am sure Hillside does a great job but it just is not in the cards right now. Would leave me a little too tight on funds around the house and the fact that my oldest daughter is in her first year of college.

Quick Reply: Heads, no heads and P&P