Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Short, curved but quiet pipes?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 08:12 PM
Wabbit
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Short, curved but quiet pipes?

Hello, I am new to the HD world. Actually just preparing to buy my first HD, a Fat Boy Lo. I love the bike, though I'm not too excited about the stock pipes. I really like the look of some short, curved pipes, like the Vance & Hines Big Radius, but 20 years in the Army have my hearing in bad shape and I would prefer a quiet ride. My guess is that any shorter pipes would be louder than the stock ones. Is that true? Is it possible to get something as quiet or quieter than the stock pipes, with the short, curved look?
Thanks for any help!

Old 02-05-2011, 08:15 PM
TORQUEY
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

Even the Vance and Hines "Quiet Baffles" are very significantly louder than stock.

Old 02-05-2011, 08:17 PM
Wabbit
Tourer

Thanks for the quick reply. I suspected they would be, so I am hoping there might be a product out there with a similar look, but a sound close to the stock pipes.

Old 02-05-2011, 08:22 PM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Its pretty hard to find a quiet curved pipe like that. There are baffles that close the pipe off some to quiet them down, can't find the link right now but if I do I'll post it for you unless someelse chimes in with it. There are some other type of pipes that do the same. They also cut down the power some too. Maybe score a set of stock pipes from a custom, nightrain and use the stock mufflers as they are lower than what you have. Loud is very easy quiet is not

Old 02-05-2011, 08:38 PM
tidbit1
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I am like you on the look of the Big Radius but they are loud. I have them on my Deuce and they really look cool, just a little loud. Always can wear ear plugs i suppose, matter of fact i have lost my last pair.

Ride safe

Old 02-05-2011, 08:44 PM
Wabbit
Tourer

Thanks all, I thought this might be a tough order. I did see this thing:

Powerbraidz now makes a flexible exhaust baffle that fits into curved or radius pipes.
Manufactured out of 304 stainless, they quiet a bike 10 to 15 db while increasing horsepower and torque. These thing are a great solution for fabricated or homemade pipes.

I don't know if they are any good, it seems counterintuitive that baffles would increase performance.

I'm open to other options, if anyone has suggestions for nicer looking pipes that are at least as quiet as the stock pipes. I'd prefer something a bit shorter, curved or straight.

Thanks!

Old 02-07-2011, 09:02 AM
Wabbit
Tourer

Hello gents,
Ok, I've done some more searching around. I think I would rather go with straight pipes, but lower and shorter than the stock.

I really like the look of the Vance and Hines Shortshots Staggered Black (with the slash cut tips), and it mentions that there are add-on quiet baffles. I think they'd look good on the Fat Boy Lo.

http://www.vanceandhines.com/product...-stag-blk.html

Anyone know if these are good pipes? Anyone know how loud they would be compared to the stock pipes with the quiet baffles installed?

Thanks!

Last edited by Wabbit; 02-07-2011 at 09:32 AM. Reason: Changed my mind on version...
Old 02-07-2011, 01:20 PM
Wabbit
Tourer

Ok, after even more research, I have been told that the stock pipes are about 75 decibels, while any of the pipes I like are all 94 decibels and up. Bummer.

I can't be the only person who wants nice looking pipes and not a lot of noise!

Old 02-07-2011, 01:26 PM
Brewtality
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Wabbit
I can't be the only person who wants nice looking pipes and not a lot of noise!

You're not. But then again, there are a lot of people who would love to find a world-class steak dinner for 2 bucks that only has 100 calories. Just 'cause you want it doesn't make it possible.

The short pipes are pretty much all going to be a decent amount louder than stock. And most quiet baffles really don't do all that much.

I would really consider riding with ear plugs if I were you.

Old 02-07-2011, 01:41 PM
Mathews
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I may ask....Vance and hines big radius on going to make one deft???? I just installed them on my fatboy but cant ride in winter here....Thay sound and look great in my shop.....

Quick Reply: Short, curved but quiet pipes?