Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

help me decide on a 107 kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 06:14 PM
niceguyyy01
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help me decide on a 107 kit

I am wanting to add some more power to my scoot and been thinking about a 107 kit. Here is where I am undecided:

Do I spend the money to do the T-man stage 3 or 4 kit or just do the Fuel Moto kit with the stock heads? Yes, I know the two kits are drastically different, but I cannot decide if I am opening a can of worms by doing this. Meaning would I be sacrificing reliability going to the more radical combo?

I am thinking about buying some take-off heads to send to them (T-man)so I won't be down too long and I have emailed them about thier kit and having to send my cylinders to them. The kit says it has Nikasil cylinders, but I am not sure if that is just the liners or the actual cylinders?

Of course, money is a concern, but I don't mind spending it up front to do it right.

Can you guys give me your opinions? Is there any other kits you guys would do instead? Am I going to have to upgrade the intake and TB for these mods? Bigger injectors? Upgrade the clutch pack?

The bike is a 2011 Rocker. I have VH 2 into 2, high flow ac, and a PCV.

I know what I want to do, but thought I would ask what others would recommend, since this is my first HD and I thought I could learn from some more seasoned riders past experiences.

Old 01-26-2011, 06:39 PM
HardyHarHarley
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've noticed opinions are a dime a dozen around here so prepare yourself for hearing it all.

I know I've done alot of sole searching since I went the route I did with my 103 upgrade.

Knowing what I know now and having no desire to split my cases for a 110+ ci build, I wish I had gone with a 107 upgrade. Doing it now is difficult to justify the expense of gaining 4 cubes and a small gain in power.

But I have done the research, for no other reason other than to make 100% certain its more money I am willing to spend for that extra power. It is.....!

There a number of good builders out there. Some hang around this forum answering our questions.

If I had it to do over again, I would do a 107 with heads done by either TMan or Hillside. I like the Nikasil cylinders, rather than honing 96 bored cylinders. I like TMan's head work and larger valves...stage III or IV whatever. Whatever pistons TMan suggests for the CR needed. A Tman cam...probably the 625 or 650 depending on your type of riding style. An HPI 54 mm tb with 5.3 g/s injectors and one of the auto-tuners out there.

If you want max HP/Torque, I'd ditch your Vance and Hines and get a D&D Fat Cat 2 into 1 system. It may not be the exact sound your looking for but no one will have a faster 107. Oh, and take care of the clutch. Add a heavier spring.

Last edited by HardyHarHarley; 01-26-2011 at 06:42 PM.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:24 PM
niceguyyy01
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really like the VH exhaust and didn't really want to get into changing the injectors/tb, but I guess that is something i need to decide.

I guess I just need to pick a supplier and get their recommendation on which route to take.

I don't mind losing a few hp's for the exhaust. Are we talking big loss? I mean 4-5hp I don't care, but 15-20 would suck.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:11 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,159 Likes on 1,575 Posts

JMHO but there is a lot to be said for boring seasoned cylinders. I know Hillside will bore your cylinders and fit some Wiseco pistons, not sure if Tman offers that service. Nikasil is the cylinder lining and it was all the rage a while back until Rev Performance started having problems. Actually, I believe TMan's kit include Rev Performance cylinders. From what I have read, that's all behind them and nikasil is not a bad word anymore.

Most important thing is to pay attention to how you ride and decide when/where you want the power and work toward a combination of components that will deliver the power when/where you want it.

The other thing to remember is that most folks have a tendency to over do things and the spend more money than necessary gains at the margin and the cost per foot pound of torque goes up exponentially. You can build a strong runner with minimal head work if the heads are "blue printed"; a lot of porting points things toward higher HP numbers. Long duration, hi lift cams same same; bigger is definitely more expensive but not that much better that a good baseline build.

Old 01-26-2011, 09:52 PM
evostroker
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Fuel Moto kit seems to be a great value..you can get your heads done by Hillside..they know how to make power with this combo

http://harleytechtalk.org/htt/index....c,33470.0.html

and it even works pretty darn good with the stock heads

Nikasill has had some issues , I understand it had more to do with the ring pack..
I am in the middle of a 107 build myself, and decided to go with the CP pistons an woods 555, because I got a great deal on a set of pistons..I dont think you can go wrong either way...

Old 01-27-2011, 05:37 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 820 Likes on 585 Posts

A 107" engine can be brought to hot-rod level, or kept in check for very strong touring duty as well.
One of our 5 different cylinder head packages, combined with the proper cam grind, will expose all the potential of the 107"er to it's fullest, while still maintaining great reliability, for either a lighter weight Dyna street fighter, or a fully loaded Road Glide combo.
Our Wiesco's with your cylinders bored,(88-98", 96-107") have proven themselves for over 3 1/2 years now, to be, a go-to set-up.
We do not sell you folks pieces/parts that you don't need, but our combinations, surrounded by the products we reccomend/supply, most certainly un-cork, what is in it.
Feel free to contact us.
Thanks,
Scott

Old 01-27-2011, 10:51 AM
Zacfatboy
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...my 96" stock cylinders and heads arrived at Hillside yesterday. Getting Stage III heads, 107/Wiseco & TW555's plus a couple of other parts. Stock TB/injectors and a Fatcat w/a std louvered baffle are waiting. Now if the 25+" inches of snow on the ground would ever melt....