Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

White stuff on exhaust port

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 12:44 AM
ruenjou
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default White stuff on exhaust port

I posted this on Softail forum and a member suggested this forum instead so here it goes...

Bought myself a 2005 Heritage with 15000 miles. After reading a lots of posts regarding cam tensioners, I decided to take a look at them. Upon removing the cam cover, I noticed both front and rear tensioners have about 1mm (.025") of wear. I guess I'll be ok for a while.

So the question here is that since I needed to remove exhaust pipes to open the cam cover, I notice white deposite on the exhaust port. See photos. What are they? Is it normal? I searched forums but found nothing.

BTW, bike has 95" jug, SE stage 1 A/C and re-mapping. Pipe is Cycle Shack MHD-137T. Bike runs well so far...

Front cylinder

Rear cylinder

Old 01-26-2011, 12:57 AM
O-Town D
Road Master
Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

"white deposite on the exhaust port...."
You're not alone - I just did a header swap on my '010 F-Bob that has only 800 miles on it and my exhaust ports look very similar to yours, and I'm running XIEDs on the bike. Researching seems to indicate that the white coating could be the result of ash, fuel deposits, lean mix, high temps, or any combination of the above. I pulled my spark plugs to have a looksee and they're somewhere between white and tan in color, which is not too far from optimum, so I'm thinking the whitish exhaust is just a normal condition for newer Harleys with EFI. I can live with it.

Old 01-26-2011, 06:28 AM
DRAGO'S BIKE WORKS
Former Sponsor
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I see valves that look like they may have been run lean, with lean injector timming/jetting, or long/early valve timimg duration. If you have taken the valves out of the head at this point, look for burned seats, and valve faces.

Originally Posted by ruenjou
I posted this on Softail forum and a member suggested this forum instead so here it goes...

Bought myself a 2005 Heritage with 15000 miles. After reading a lots of posts regarding cam tensioners, I decided to take a look at them. Upon removing the cam cover, I noticed both front and rear tensioners have about 1mm (.025") of wear. I guess I'll be ok for a while.

So the question here is that since I needed to remove exhaust pipes to open the cam cover, I notice white deposite on the exhaust port. See photos. What are they? Is it normal? I searched forums but found nothing.

BTW, bike has 95" jug, SE stage 1 A/C and re-mapping. Pipe is Cycle Shack MHD-137T. Bike runs well so far...

Front cylinder

Rear cylinder