Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

103 Build with TW-555 Cams

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 08:31 AM
marty442
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 103 Build with TW-555 Cams

Just got finished with a 103 upgrade (cast flat top pistons) and Woods 555 cams on my 2007 Deluxe. I was running with an Andrews 26H on my stock 96 incher. I did some auto-tuning of the ecm map using my TTS tuner. So far I've put about 70 miles on it but haven't pushed it beyond 4K rpm. My seat of the pants dyno tells me the bike is stronger throughout the rpm range. Especially like how 6th gear feels on the highway. No more downshifting at 60 mph to accelerate. I decided to skip the headwork. I was told that wouldn't make much difference unless I was riding at higher rpm. Based on the data I collected with the TTS Tuner, it looks like I rarely ever run over 4K. After I get about 300 miles on it, I'll put it on a dyno and see what the numbers are. At this point I think I'm done with the engine mods but never say never.

Old 01-21-2011, 08:52 AM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Congrats man ... looks like you've got a solid setup ....

R/
'Chop

Old 01-21-2011, 08:01 PM
TedMan
Road Warrior
Received 245 Likes on 158 Posts

Curious to see your dyno and how that compares with Fuel Moto 107. My set-up is similar to yours, and thinking 107. Your set-up should be a blast to ride.

TedMan

Old 01-22-2011, 05:07 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 587 Posts

Originally Posted by marty442
Just got finished with a 103 upgrade (cast flat top pistons) and Woods 555 cams on my 2007 Deluxe. I was running with an Andrews 26H on my stock 96 incher. I did some auto-tuning of the ecm map using my TTS tuner. So far I've put about 70 miles on it but haven't pushed it beyond 4K rpm. My seat of the pants dyno tells me the bike is stronger throughout the rpm range. Especially like how 6th gear feels on the highway. No more downshifting at 60 mph to accelerate. I decided to skip the headwork. I was told that wouldn't make much difference unless I was riding at higher rpm. Based on the data I collected with the TTS Tuner, it looks like I rarely ever run over 4K. After I get about 300 miles on it, I'll put it on a dyno and see what the numbers are. At this point I think I'm done with the engine mods but never say never.
Our Stage II Heads used on the 107"er/555 cam combo that fellow site sponsor FuelMoto tuned, showed 109 hp/127 ft/lbs.
Fellow forum member Odius Barbarian's 107"/555 cams, with our Stage IV head/Bub Lakester 2/1 pipe/intake manifold mods, combo, showed 116 hp/128 ft/lbs, and that set-up was tuned on www.joescyclerepair.com
VERY good combination!!!
Joe also just completed a 107"/555/Our Stage III Head/manifold mods/V&H Hi-Output pipe, that ripped off 118 hp/130 ft/lbs.
Must be that pipe has something different, from what we see.
Also Joe just tuned(dyno report on this site)an oversquare 107" (Axtell 4 1/8" bore) went 136 hp/133 ft/lbs, STD.
Proper cylinder head work makes a HUGE difference.
Scott

Old 01-22-2011, 07:56 AM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

After reading hundreds of posts, I was totally convinced to get some mild head work done when the motor is apart. Not only for performance gains but also to help the motor run cooler. Yeah it's more $$ but you can get some beneficial work done for less than $400. Either way I bet your bike is a nice runner. Enjoy

Old 01-22-2011, 08:46 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 587 Posts

4 Franklins doesn't buy much cylinder head work.
A valve job, guides,(maybe guides are left in?? even worse) seals, rattle a sanding drum around in the port(s) with a blindfold on, and cc/surface.
4 Ben Franklins took flight, never to be seen again.
Scott

Old 01-22-2011, 09:28 AM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Hillsidecycle.com
A valve job, guides,(maybe guides are left in?? even worse) seals, rattle a sanding drum around in the port(s) with a blindfold on, and cc/surface.
Scott
I think my key word was beneficial, not the best. Vee Twin/Dewey/SBC all offer basic valve work packages for less than $400. All out porting, up sizing valves, etc? No... but valve work, guides/seals, CC'ing. Will this not be beneficial and worthwhile in a 107" build vs. stock?

Old 01-22-2011, 09:39 AM
partycrasher
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IF YOU GONNA DO HEAD WORK, DO IT THE RIGHT WAY, ONCE. iT'S THE BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK.

Old 01-22-2011, 09:45 AM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Scott - You got a link to the oversquare 107?

Old 01-22-2011, 09:48 AM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Hillsidecycle.com
Scott
Got to love that analogy! Bwahaha!

I suppose there are a few out there that wear the blindfolds.

I am still under the belief that a mild port (under 4 bills) can do wonders, when done by the right guy. (without blindfold).
Even a CC/surface compliments your cam for a decent improvement (depending on how far off your chambers were).

Just an opinion, didn't cost you anything to read it.

Quick Reply: 103 Build with TW-555 Cams