Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Which direction should I go?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011 | 01:28 AM
kanen80
|
4th Gear
Default Which direction should I go?

Hey fellas, I have been reading info on here for a few months and finally have a question I need to post for. So I started pulling down my 80'' evo motor 1.Because it had a pretty loud tick from the front cylinder head and 2.I wanted to do a little hop up job on the bike. Well as I started pulling things apart I started finding some decent suprises but also confusing for a Harley newb like me. To get to the point I have:

9.5:1 KB pistons
Crane HI-4 single fire ignition and coil
Stock Heads
Crane FB326-2 Cam
Delkron Case
Andrews Adjustable Pushrods
CV-40 w/K&N filter
Thunderheader exhaust

I wasn't impressed with this combo at all as it came on late and ran out early, I'm guessing because of the combo of 9.5 compression, stock heads and long duration cam.

I want to send in the heads in for a stage II job, port the intake, have the heads decked to give me 10:1 with the pistons I have and put in a EVL-3030 cam and rejet the carb and that would eat up my budget. My goal is 80+hp/80+tq living between 2500-6000. I have a light bike. I tried to pick the cam first and then build from there but I am also limited to budget, hence the home assembly...so it may turn into washingtons speediest hand grenade.

The question I have is should I keep the Fireball 326 (i can't find much real world info on it), go with the evl-3030 or is there a better 2500-6000rpm cam for the heads and compression I am going for? I can have the heads set up for +500 lift so it wouldn't have to be just a bolt-in. Thanks in advance for any advice.

P.s. the tick was the pushrod hitting the tube.

Last edited by kanen80; 01-09-2011 at 01:34 AM.
Old 01-09-2011 | 08:13 AM
DRAGO'S BIKE WORKS
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by kanen80
Hey fellas, I have been reading info on here for a few months and finally have a question I need to post for. So I started pulling down my 80'' evo motor 1.Because it had a pretty loud tick from the front cylinder head and 2.I wanted to do a little hop up job on the bike. Well as I started pulling things apart I started finding some decent suprises but also confusing for a Harley newb like me. To get to the point I have:

Stock Heads
Crane FB326-2 Cam
Delkron Case
CV-40 w/K&N filter
Thunderheader exhaust

I wasn't impressed with this combo at all as it came on late and ran out early, I'm guessing because of the combo of 9.5 compression, stock heads and long duration cam.

I want to send in the heads in for a stage II job, port the intake, have the heads decked to give me 10:1 with the pistons I have and put in a EVL-3030 cam and rejet the carb and that would eat up my budget. My goal is 80+hp/80+tq living between 2500-6000. I have a light bike. I tried to pick the cam first and then build from there but I am also limited to budget, hence the home assembly...so it may turn into washingtons speediest hand grenade.

The question I have is should I keep the Fireball 326 (i can't find much real world info on it), go with the evl-3030 or is there a better 2500-6000rpm cam for the heads and compression I am going for? I can have the heads set up for +500 lift so it wouldn't have to be just a bolt-in. Thanks in advance for any advice.

FB326-2
252°
262°
.490"
.500"
23°/49°
56°/26
Here are your cam specs above you can see this cam works better with 10.1 comp. More of a mid range top end cam between 2000-6000 rpm

Also I put attch. so you can see our stage 2evo head flow..

CNC port Super flow 600 bench
One piece stainless steel 1.900" intake and 1.615" exhaust valves.
Valve guides are replaced with bronze manganese
Viton rubber valve guide seals.
Valve springs are replaced chromium silicon units with lightweight Titanium retainers and 10 degree valve.etc........

If you have any questions please call I would be more than happy to answer anything.
Good luck with your build.

°

Attached Thumbnails Which direction should I go?-stg2head.jpg  

Last edited by DRAGO'S BIKE WORKS; 01-10-2011 at 06:35 AM.
Old 01-09-2011 | 01:01 PM
tootal
Tourer

When I see where you want your torque I would say an EV 27 would be my cam choice. It produces a nice flat torque curve and pulls hard all the way to red line. It likes 9.5 - 9.8/1 CR. If you just took a dremel and blended in the shelf below the valve seats it would increase flow roughly 10 percent depending on how big the shelf is. Put in some Viton seals and go have fun for a lot less money.

Old 01-10-2011 | 12:52 AM
kanen80
|
4th Gear

Thanks both for the info and advice. I guess what I'm asking is would it be worth it to pay the extra 400-450 for cam, head setup and better springs and run the evl-3030 or just only have the heads decked, ported and flowed and use the Fireball 326? Either way I have to run 10:1 and am porting and flowing the heads. I'm a reformed ex-sportbike guy and like the motor to pull harder in the last 3/4 of the revs than in the first 3/4 of the range. Does anyone have experience with the Fireball 326, I can't find a whole lot on it...

Old 01-10-2011 | 05:51 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor

Stock Heads
Crane FB326-2 Cam
Delkron Case
CV-40 w/K&N filter
Thunderheader exhaust

Our, IN-HOUSE, Stage II Evo heads, along with a Wood 8, WILL show you 90/90 plus, tuned correctly.
Must have built 4-5 dozen of those over the years.
North of 50 mpg, and smoooooooth power as well.
Scott

Old 01-10-2011 | 07:10 AM
DRAGO'S BIKE WORKS
Former Sponsor

I myself have never used the fire cam.

Like Scott said the woods 8 is a good choice. I also would say the TMAN 590 is a good choice. It likes a little more comp would it will work very well in mid and top to give you that feel of a sport bike. We do a ton of Sport bikes here I know what you are talking about.
Good luck!!!

Thanks both for the info and advice. I guess what I'm asking is would it be worth it to pay the extra 400-450 for cam, head setup and better springs and run the evl-3030 or just only have the heads decked, ported and flowed and use the Fireball 326? Either way I have to run 10:1 and am porting and flowing the heads. I'm a reformed ex-sportbike guy and like the motor to pull harder in the last 3/4 of the revs than in the first 3/4 of the range. Does anyone have experience with the Fireball 326, I can't find a whole lot on it...

Old 01-10-2011 | 02:21 PM
inverse121
Tourer

Originally Posted by tootal
When I see where you want your torque I would say an EV 27 would be my cam choice.
My input mean's nothing next to hillside and drago, but I am with tootal.
Put an EV27 in there for $125 + cam bearings and gaskets and see if you aren't pleasantly suprised.

Old 01-11-2011 | 10:02 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor

At 9.5-10.0 cr, a 27, or for that matter a 3, will show you a good gain indeed, but if looking for the whole enchilada, the Wood 8 set at 10.75-8 will run all over the 27, or 3 cam set-up.
Scott

Old 01-11-2011 | 07:26 PM
kanen80
|
4th Gear

Thanks for all the input. I do want the WHOLE ENCHILADA and I had considered the W8 but I can't pony up the extra money for rollerrockers, pistons and hone. Since the heads are getting done and I'm having Jims springs put it, I suppose I'll go with what the shop suggested. Run 10.2:1, Their stage II heads, Jet the CV and run the crane 326. Maybe I can switch cams down the road if I don't like it. Thanks again guys, much appreciated.

Last edited by kanen80; 01-11-2011 at 07:30 PM.
Old 01-15-2011 | 03:41 PM
tootal
Tourer

After looking at the Fireball 326 and the Woods 8 I don't know if it would be worth the money to switch. However there are some things to consider and one might be a different cam. They both close the intake about the same time so they should start to make torque at the same rpm. There is a substantial difference in the overlap. The Crane is 49 and the Woods is 36. For a street engine the Woods is better since that huge overlap is going to give you a lot of reversion in the intake. The lift on the Woods is much greater so you will need good heads to take advantage of that. I can see why you didn't like your old build. By the time your cam started making torque your heads ran out of flow!! I guess I was looking at your existing build and seeing a cam way to extreme for it. The EV 27 would have been a much better cam for it. You mentioned a budget so me, being of Scottish decent, went for the least expensive cure!! If you flow the heads to match your cam and have enough compression to retain some low end I think you're on the right track. The Woods greater lift would fill those cylinders much better with the ported heads but the expense is there to consider. The fireball cam with it's small lift and huge overlap is a pretty crappy cam IMHO. Another thing to consider is it's a fricken Harley. If you're use to a sport bike then 6000 rpm feels like a brick wall!! Many of these cams will continue to make more HP than your rev limit will allow. If you want a race bike fine but if you ride in the real world for very long you're not going to appreciate fuel dripping out of your air cleaner all over your chrome!! Sorry, I seem to be rambling but just trying to give you more to think about. There's more to consider than dyno sheets!

Quick Reply: Which direction should I go?