Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

torque cones???

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 12:45 PM
shooker
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default torque cones???

Hey guys, happy new year!!,

I'm getting ready to install a hi Five Mach-2 air cleaner, PCIII, and a set of samson street sweepers on my 04 FI fatboy. Kool right?

But my question is would torque cones be worth putting in, and if i do how much would it effect the sound if at all?

And where am i suppose to fit the PCIII under my barebones seat?
any Pics of how you fit it under there might help.

Thanks.

Old 12-31-2010, 01:19 PM
mentor70
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

torque cones are designed to help correct driveability issues that you get when you install drag pipe style exhaust systems on your bike, and you loose your low end torque.

that being said, if you lost all your low end power, you bought the wrong exhaust system.

I tried them on my 05 after i installed a Rinehard 2 to 1 system on my bike and lost pretty much all my low end, due to the fact the the 1 7/8 primaries on the pipes are just too large for a engine under 107 ci.

in a nut shell, it helped...a little, but the down side was that my bike ran hot has hell, cuz they make a huge restriction at the exhaust port and trap TONS of heat in the heads.

went for a ride one day and all but cooked my nadds off!

got home and ordered a D&D fatcat and fixed the problem.

Old 12-31-2010, 02:36 PM
NickD
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm running large diameter Ultima Sharpshooters with 6 inch baffles. After I rode the bike around for a while I installed a set of torque cones. Now these things are very subjective, but I didn't notice any change in low end performance, which I considered ok to begin with, but I did notice the sound became a bit too tinny. So I took the cones out. Then just to make sure I was getting all I could out of what I had I packed some chicken wire into the baffles and again no noticeable performance change, but this time the sound became absolutely horrible. So I got rid of that too.

I think too many people are drag pipe adverse these days, some are on about the noise, and that's cool, but others are knocking their performance which equates to a few numbers on a dyno sheet but not so much to the reality of the street. I remember when everyone ran drags with no long term issues. The only thing that has changed is folks who drop five bills (or more) on a set of gee-whiz pipes and need to justify their out lay by bagging on our hundred dollar drag pipes. I'd rather spend the other $400 on blow and hookers . . . LOL!

Old 12-31-2010, 04:29 PM
Scootrskum
Intermediate
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I run drag pipes and currently have the torque cones installed. I notice a little difference but it does distort the sound. I have also drilled holes in previous pipes and installed a 3/8' bolt about six inches from the end of the pipe. That works just as good as the cones IMHO. Most of the high $$ pipes are stepped pipes (not sure about the sweepers)> That is basically the same idea as cones which is to create a little back pressure. Spend the $$ on the hookers and beer or whatever else floats your boat.

Old 12-31-2010, 04:36 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Forget the torque cones. They go at the wrong end of the pipe to do any good. Like stated above a bolt, lollipop baffle, or even shorty baffle is better if you need some back pressure.

Old 12-31-2010, 04:45 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,226 Likes on 1,611 Posts

Originally Posted by xxxflhrci
Forget the torque cones. They go at the wrong end of the pipe to do any good. Like stated above a bolt, lollipop baffle, or even shorty baffle is better if you need some back pressure.
There are too many better ways to spend the money. Like why a PCIII when IV is available with more features and the Vision is near to release.