Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

voided warranty

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 11:15 AM
mopardave
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default voided warranty

Hi all, this post is for information only. I have noticed that among us HD riders their is a general belief and concern that putting any parts on your bike that are not HD parts voids your warranty. This is not true, though it may casue a dispute between you and your dealer should a problem arise. "The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act" has taken care of this problem for us. You can put whatever parts you like on your Harley or your car or your moped for that matter, as long as they are quality parts and do not actually cause a problem with you vehicle. The cause of the problem must be proven by your dealer in order to void the warranty.

http://www.enjoythedrive.com/content/?id=8128

I thought that this was some good and interesting info for us HD guys since we spend so mush time and money customizing our bikes.
Enjoy and good luck

Old 09-27-2006, 11:50 PM
One_Screamin_Eagle
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: voided warranty

That's pretty funny. The MM act is not for those reasons.

Old 09-28-2006, 10:07 AM
PosseRider
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

What's it for then ???

Old 09-28-2006, 01:19 PM
spade
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think its more of they must honor what the warranty states.
http://www.mlmlaw.com/library/guides...s/undermag.htm

But you know, they write things so vague, you never know what they are saying (which is on purpose )

Old 09-28-2006, 03:30 PM
mopardave
Elite HDF Member

One_Screamin_Eagle, apparently, in part, it is. Did you go to the link and read it? The first paragraph is explaining the second one in laymans terms, which is a direct quote from the act.

1.The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302(C))

This federal law regulates warranties for the protection of consumers. The essence of the law concerning aftermarket auto parts is that a vehicle manufacturer may not condition a written or implied warranty on the consumers using parts or services which are identified by brand, trade, or corporate name (such as the vehicle maker's brand) unless the parts or service are provided free of charge. The law means that the use of an aftermarket part alone is not cause for denying the warranty. However, the law's protection does not extend to aftermarket parts in situations where such parts actually caused the damage being claimed under the warranty. Further, consumers are advised to be aware of any specific terms or conditions stated in the warranty which may result in its being voided. The law states in relevant part:

“No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumers using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade or corporate name...” (15 U.S.C. 2302(C)).

It says what it says and it is what it is.

Old 09-28-2006, 03:50 PM
mopardave
Elite HDF Member

Here it is again, strait from Cornell Law School's website.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/15...2----000-.html

It is federal law. Spade, that website you linked is not very complete. It is just a guide of sorts. Even so, it talks about it in this excerpt:

What the Magnuson-Moss Act
Does Not Allow
There are three prohibitions under the Magnuson-Moss Act. They involve implied warranties, so-called "tie-in sales" provisions, and deceptive or misleading warranty terms.

The "so-called "tie-in sales" provisions" is exactly what they are talking about. They are not allowed to arbitrarily void your warranty because you didn't buy their stuff.

Old 09-28-2006, 07:56 PM
spade
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool
Thanks for the clarification, mopardave
It's a great thing to know and be armed with

Old 09-28-2006, 08:18 PM
mopardave
Elite HDF Member

I will concede this though, the dealer will not give you anything without a fight (usually). Whatever you do, do it right. If you do you probably won't have anything to get fixed under warranty. Everything I do to my bike is an upgrade (better than factory) so, hopefully, I won't have to worry about it.

Old 09-29-2006, 01:48 AM
One_Screamin_Eagle
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're too funny. It means that if a company says that you can only use their spark plugs or oil in their machine and if you don't it will void your warranty that they must supply them at no charge. It doesn't mean you can install race parts that take a vehicle out of EPA rega and expect a warranty. Also, manufacturers have the right to say that their machines, if modified, will not be covered under warranty even if it is with their own lone of go fast parts.

Old 09-29-2006, 03:47 AM
mopardave
Elite HDF Member

Yes, I understand that when you put a aftermarket .650 lift cam in your engine, fire it up, and bend all the valves.....not covered. It doesn't mean you can't change things for the better. For instance, I put a PC AC and pipes on my bike and the brake rotor is warped. Brake rotor is still covered. Fuel injector is malfunctioning, still covered. "The law means that the use of an aftermarket part alone is not cause for denying the warranty. However, the law's protection does not extend to aftermarket parts in situations where such parts actually caused the damage being claimed under the warranty." It's pretty clear, but the problem with dealing with HD is you get a hassle half the time whether it's a legit gripe or not. I had been extremely patient with my dealer until they pushed me over the edge earlier this year. I'll send you a copy of the letter I ended up presenting to the owner's son if you like. It's kinda long, but it really sums up the feeling that a lot of us have after dealing with these dealers for a while. I'm not gonna post it on here because I still do business with them and I do have a relationship with them. In the end they have promised to really hook me up and all of the problems did end up getting resolved, although it took a lot more frustration and work on my part than it ever should have. This is a shot of me right after returning from Myrtle Beach for the spring rally earlier this year. I live in Florida and I had just unloaded the bike and cracked a well earned beer.

[IMG]local://upfiles/18505/891178D4927F4CA297A3C3A513E07C61.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: voided warranty