Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

voided warranty

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 01:28 PM
mopardave
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: voided warranty

I wanted to clarify something after reading my last post......by "I had just unloaded the bike" I meant that I had just taken my gear off the bike (no trailers) LOL

Old 09-30-2006, 07:00 PM
tlee
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A couple of thoughts on Harley warranties:
1. Everytime Harley refuses to honor a warranty situation, unless we fight for it and win, Harley puts money in their pocket.
2. No matter the laws, if we fight Harley's cdecision, we will wind up in court for years and spend lots of money and even then may lose!
tlee

Old 09-30-2006, 07:16 PM
mopardave
Elite HDF Member

That's the thing. they know that most of us are not willing to do that. So far, I have only had to call the factory once and they did straighten it out. It was about a warped rear brake rotor causing a bad pulse. I took it in for the rear tire anyway, fully expecting them to see the problem and fix the problem. They called me on my cell about 3.5 hours after dropping it off and I wandered back over there to pick it up. I look at my bike outside the service area with a new tire and old rotor. They told me it wasn't out of limits. I asked what the limits were and he said .008. i rode it home and borrowed a buddies dial indicator, checked it and called him back. I told him that I was reading .012-.015 depending on where I put it on the rotor. He said to bring it back in. Again they said it was within limits (.002!). i told him there was no way i could feel that. I took it home and video taped my dial indicator check and called the factory. They told me to have the service manager call them. i did, they had me bring it back in. Amazing.....just a misunderstanding between the tech and the manager. Now the story is that it was .002 OUT of limits. AArggggg! I then told them to throw the floating rotor on. They said they couldn't do it under warranty...only stock parts. I said "the stock one is $100....floater is $120....heres $20". What a hassle....that was just one of many. If you care to read it, I'll send you the letter I ended up presenting to the owners son. I won't post it because they are my dealer and I do have an ongoing relationship with them.

P.S. I think there is a mediator deal built into our warranty per the Warranty act

Old 09-30-2006, 07:22 PM
mopardave
Elite HDF Member

Here's the details on resolving a dispute:

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/15...0----000-.html

Old 10-02-2006, 04:57 AM
rvcowboy
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in California & the EPA has them all running scared with fines. There copout, as far as warranties go, they cannot work on any bike that has been factory altered & hence cannot meet the new FDA regs. They will not even install the SERT because it alters the emissions too far. They have even threatened independent shops with fines. What a f...in mess!!!

Old 10-02-2006, 04:23 PM
mopardave
Elite HDF Member

Yeah man, i lived out there from 86-94. I took my solid cam 340 dodge in for a smog check. They ran the test, it ran cleaner than a new car above 2800 rpm but failed at idle. He had me pull it back into the parking lot and told me to come back in a few hours and he would get it to pass for an $80 "adjustment". I come back later, the car hadn't moved but it now passed after being magically adjusted. LOL

Old 10-02-2006, 09:51 PM
old mold
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sort of un related but my 2005 dyna got to where it wouldnt crank, went to the dealer 3 times and was told nothing wrong, 4 hours later bike wont crank, as i am a diesel mechanic clayto county harley of morrow ga. has determined that i dont have enough since to know how to load test a battery or read a voltmeter or anything, bike only has 1500 miles on it and have had this problem for a long time. Finally got so mad at dealer for not covering factory warrant or nothing i went and bought my own battery for 90 bucks and even had two parts houses to check it since they wouldnt take my word for it, 2 other people came with the same problem, dead cell, and back to dealer and even had my own load tester and voltmeter and still wont stand behind 2 year warranty.E mailed harley 4 weeks ago, no reply, e mailed owner of clayton county harley2 weeks ago, they could care less. If ur are ever in Atlanta, Ga. and have problems and its warranty work, dont go to cch in morrow ga.