Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Cam chain tensioner question

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 09:12 PM
Howard
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam chain tensioner question

How and when do you know to inspect and replace the cam chain tensioner shoe and what all needs to be replaced at that time. 04- 1450 engine

Old 09-25-2006, 09:22 PM
glide
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Cam chain tensioner question

You need to remove the cam chest cover to get to the tensioners, also the front pipe to get to the cover. It is best to check them at about 20K miles to get a wear pattern for your bike. When you replace them you'll need the both tensioners (inner and outer) and the associated gaskets/ o rings along with a few tools that will make the job easier.

Old 09-26-2006, 12:58 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 1,841 Posts

If you see orange flakes in your oil filter, It's time! I have an 04 with 20k on the clock and am going to just go with gear driven cams next season so I don't have to worry about it. Much better to just remove the pipe and crack 'er open once than to have to keep doing it every 20k+ miles.

Old 09-26-2006, 09:44 AM
Uncle Peepers
Road Warrior
Received 916 Likes on 431 Posts

There's an easy way to check the shoes without the guesswork of sorting through oil filter contents. All but one or two of the cam cover allens are accessible without removing the front exhaust. For the remaining two, take the appropriate size allen wrench and use a dremel or hack saw to cut the end so it fits between the exhaust pipe and the cam cover. You can remove the cover and inspect the front tensioner shoe directly. With a dental-type mirror or mirror on a stick device, you can take a look at the inner tensioner shoe. If they're badly worn, follow the replacement procedure; if not, close it up and you're done. Mileage does not seem to be a good indicator of shoe life. Some seem to last forever, and others wear quickly.

Uncle Peepers

Old 09-26-2006, 03:47 PM
2005UltraNC
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

UncleP, that sounds great - will give er a try as I get close to 20K (at 16K now). I assume you don't change any gaskets?

Also, does anyone know if the MoCo covers these shoes under warranty? or is this considered a wear item? My 05 warranty does not expire till March.

Thanks

Old 09-26-2006, 04:07 PM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I read or heard somewhere that the 2007 cam tensioner shoe material was different (new and improved) over what had been previously used and that the new shoes could be retrofitted to earlier engines as needed. Any truth to this?

Old 09-26-2006, 05:02 PM
Scout
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 708 Likes on 340 Posts

I check mine when I am doing a rear tire change. I already have to take the slip on off, so a couple of extra bolts takes only a few minutes. It's usually good interval times then too.

You need an exhaust gasket and a cover gasket.

Old 09-26-2006, 06:01 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Neckball

I read or heard somewhere that the 2007 cam tensioner shoe material was different (new and improved) over what had been previously used and that the new shoes could be retrofitted to earlier engines as needed. Any truth to this?
Not only is the material different, the entire tensioner assembly is different. I doubt these would be retro. You can't change camplate (easily) either, because the 07's use physically different cams.

You can fix the pre-07's with a gear drive set of cams....

Old 09-26-2006, 10:02 PM
PosseRider
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Shop manual calls for inspect or change at 25,000 miles. Just checked mine (34,000) They are wearing a groove. Gonna change to gear drive this winter. If you decide to stay with the chain, there is a article on here, I think, about polishing the chain & smoothing it out so it wont wear as bad on the shoes.

Old 09-26-2006, 10:05 PM
PosseRider
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Wasn't on here. Here it is http://hotrodsbikeworks.com/tech/021...win_cam_chain/

Quick Reply: Cam chain tensioner question