Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Cam chain tensioner question

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 11:27 AM
mopardave
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Cam chain tensioner question

There are other problems with the chain besides the wear on the tensioner. The gears keep the cams exactly where they are supposed to be. They also won't allow for a high lift cam to "wiggle" (technical term) fore and aft as it lifts and lowers the lifter. You probably won't find a high lift cam with a chain drive. They only went to the chain to quiet it down a little.
Dyna Jim said it pretty good right here:
http://www.cyclespot.com/forums/arch...php/t-305.html

Good luck....the obvious choice is the gear drive.

Old 09-27-2006, 11:33 AM
500MAG
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Uncle Peepers

There's an easy way to check the shoes without the guesswork of sorting through oil filter contents. All but one or two of the cam cover allens are accessible without removing the front exhaust. For the remaining two, take the appropriate size allen wrench and use a dremel or hack saw to cut the end so it fits between the exhaust pipe and the cam cover. You can remove the cover and inspect the front tensioner shoe directly. With a dental-type mirror or mirror on a stick device, you can take a look at the inner tensioner shoe. If they're badly worn, follow the replacement procedure; if not, close it up and you're done. Mileage does not seem to be a good indicator of shoe life. Some seem to last forever, and others wear quickly.

Uncle Peepers
Thanks for that tip Uncle Peepers, i was wondering if that would work.

Old 09-27-2006, 02:33 PM
500MAG
Cruiser

Tried the above procedure, you can get all the screws out by removing heat shield and floor board. The one screw behind the exhaust pipe lower right side will not come completely out of the cover but is out of the threads.
No way could i get the cover to come off the bike, hits the exhaust pipe, maybe some exhaust are a little further away than others because it came awful close to clearing.
I did get it out enough to see the top shoe plainly looking down from the top of the cover, the outside shoe i had to use a mirror to see.
The shoes looked pretty good the outside one looking a little more worn than the inside one, they looked to be around a good 1/8 th in. thick.
Because i couldn`t get a clear view from the side i`m not totally satisfied with the inspection and will probably tear it down this winter and have new ones put in.
What i do know and what made it worth doing is they are not worn through and ready to fall apart so i can ride the rest of the season without worrying.
My bike is a 01 RG with 36,000 miles.

Old 09-27-2006, 07:19 PM
Uncle Peepers
Road Warrior
Received 916 Likes on 431 Posts

I think the proximity of the exhaust pipe to the cam cover does vary from bike to bike. I don't replace the gasket. Unlike the primary side, it seems to take a lot to get the cam side to leak.
Not only are the new shoes different, but I think there may have been some kind of material change during the life of the old style. At 70,000 miles, I installed my third set of shoes about 15,000. Unlike the first two sets, they still look new.

Peepers

Old 09-28-2006, 10:14 AM
PosseRider
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

ORIGINAL: 500MAG

Tried the above procedure, you can get all the screws out by removing heat shield and floor board. The one screw behind the exhaust pipe lower right side will not come completely out of the cover but is out of the threads.
No way could i get the cover to come off the bike, hits the exhaust pipe, maybe some exhaust are a little further away than others because it came awful close to clearing.
I did get it out enough to see the top shoe plainly looking down from the top of the cover, the outside shoe i had to use a mirror to see.
The shoes looked pretty good the outside one looking a little more worn than the inside one, they looked to be around a good 1/8 th in. thick.
Because i couldn`t get a clear view from the side i`m not totally satisfied with the inspection and will probably tear it down this winter and have new ones put in.
What i do know and what made it worth doing is they are not worn through and ready to fall apart so i can ride the rest of the season without worrying.

If they are only 1/4 " I would be changing them VERY soon.

Old 09-28-2006, 11:12 AM
500MAG
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: PosseRider

ORIGINAL: 500MAG

If they are only 1/4 " I would be changing them VERY soon.
1/4 inch, they arn`t that thick new are they.

Old 09-28-2006, 11:40 AM
PosseRider
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/16456/E97F7B6CA4264882A92E5401BEEF52EC.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-28-2006, 11:48 AM
500MAG
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: PosseRider

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/16456/E97F7B6CA4264882A92E5401BEEF52EC.jpg[/IMG]
By looking at the way those look mine may be in pretty good shape, i was looking at the top end of the shoes and they had no groove wore into them like in that picture. They were the same thickness all the way across the shoe.

Old 09-28-2006, 12:49 PM
mud
muderator
Received 9,105 Likes on 2,119 Posts

ORIGINAL: PhilM
.................................................. .....................
You can fix the pre-07's with a gear drive set of cams....
Phil, been looking for GD cams for 06 Dyna.

Do you know if these are available somewhere??

mud

Old 09-28-2006, 03:30 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes!

Andrews has them now:

http://www.andrews-products.com/PDF_...2006retail.pdf

Quick Reply: Cam chain tensioner question