Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Kury Build is finished, 126 hp!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 08:44 PM
Kytann
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kury Build is finished, 126 hp!!!

Just picked up my Motorcycle this morning.
Good news is I Dynoed at 126 Horsepower and 116 Torque, and the curve looks extremely flat.
Bad news is there's ice on the roads so I can't enjoy it until spring.

Now for the details.

Even with all of the hoopla about the new SE120R race motor from Harley I went with the old school tried and true method of having a full build done by a reputable company, someone who'll stand behind his work.

It also helps that Mike Roland just happens to be local to me, and a set of the heads he designed just happened to be on sale the week I went in there.

If you don't know the guy, he designed the Kuryakan heads and wild things cams. It's exceedingly hard to find real world information on these heads, but if you do some research on other Harley v-twin forums he's got some really interesting things to say about breathing for a Harley. It's highly worth a read if you're looking for some performance upgrades.

Anyway I went over to R&D Performance and talked to Bob Wright and Mike Roland about my budget and what I was looking to get from the performance upgrade. Part of me wanted to go full hog up to 124 cubic inches, but in the end, especially as this'll see alot of daily use over the summers we decided on a simple 103. Cheaper and it gets the performance i was looking for.

I was concerned that the Kury cams would end up feeling pretty soft down low, but took a look at all of the other Dyno runs that have been done by those two and they were all had a pretty flat torque curve.

So the parts used were
Kuryakan Wild Things Heads
Kuryakan TC-46D cams
Kuryakan Pistons (Came in a CP Pistons box *lol*)
Kuryakan Throttle Body
Crossroads Performance Air Cleaner
D&D Fat Cat with Quiet Baffle in Black
High Flow Fuel Injectors
Screaming Eagle clutch spring
TTS Mastertune tuner
and a few other miscellaneous items like gaskets and such are on the receipt.

So far I'm extremely please with how it turned out. The guys down there at R&D Performance are constantly busy, so the work took awhile to complete, but I'm all good with that.

Here's a link to the SAE corrected Dyno run for my build.

It starts right up, even in the cold we're having. No problems with cranking pressure, sounds awesome, and should be perfectly behaved on pump gas.

If you're in Minneapolis I highly recommend getting your bike done by these guys. There work is top notch.

Old 12-02-2010, 09:25 PM
BVBOB
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I talk to Mike every chance I get at the rallys and shows, always intersting as he has a unique take on making power, very late intake closing cams, big throttle body etc. but his theory's always prove out on the dyno and as you will find out seat of the pants as well.
Pretty typical to see the HP higher than the torque on his builds.

Old 12-03-2010, 02:41 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,232 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Very nice.

I have been considering a WT build to upgrade my 95" '05 FXSTDI to 98" and replace the BigBoyz heads and Andrews cams with the WT stuff. Ad I understand things, the WT builds require a different approach to head porting and Bob Wright is one of the few that have that part figured out. The WT builds that really make power are those that use the WT "package" or those that use WT cams with heads ported by Bob Wright and setup for the selected WT cams.

Old 12-03-2010, 04:57 PM
Kytann
Cruiser

Originally Posted by djl
Very nice.

I have been considering a WT build to upgrade my 95" '05 FXSTDI to 98" and replace the BigBoyz heads and Andrews cams with the WT stuff. Ad I understand things, the WT builds require a different approach to head porting and Bob Wright is one of the few that have that part figured out. The WT builds that really make power are those that use the WT "package" or those that use WT cams with heads ported by Bob Wright and setup for the selected WT cams.
Pretty much yes, the whole setup was designed as a package. I got a deal as some of the heads had a finish problem in the black wrinkle coat so they were being sold as "seconds" for about the price of re-working my stock heads. There may be some of those left. Maybe not, I dunno.

But yeah Bob Wright works pretty closely with Mike Roland, so they've got the porting worked out pretty well.

On your bike I'd expect some pretty good numbers, as you've still got the 5-speed. Apparently the newer six-speeds suck up about 10% more horsepower compared to the exact same build on a 5-speed. Apparently it's because of the Helical gears.

They were expecting around 115hp out of mine because it's a setup they've done several times and on 6-speeds always get around 115. I'm pretty pleased it came out to 126, it's like a free 11 horsepower!

Old 12-03-2010, 06:43 PM
mentor70
Road Warrior

WOW, thats one BAs 103, and to have MR on the build, wow id love to have a 103 that strong!

congrats!!

Old 12-04-2010, 10:28 AM
natural gasser
Road Captain
Received 310 Likes on 169 Posts

MR & Bob have a couple 120hp 95" builds running around too. Great guys.

Old 12-07-2010, 01:37 PM
Kytann
Cruiser

Originally Posted by natural gasser
MR & Bob have a couple 120hp 95" builds running around too. Great guys.
Yeah they told me all about those. Apparently it's down to the tranny sucking up more of the power in the Six speeds versus the Five speeds. Helical cut gears in the Six speeds seem to be the culprit.

Anyway, can't wait until spring to ride it.

Old 12-07-2010, 01:48 PM
beaureed445
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Kytann
Yeah they told me all about those. Apparently it's down to the tranny sucking up more of the power in the Six speeds versus the Five speeds. Helical cut gears in the Six speeds seem to be the culprit.

Anyway, can't wait until spring to ride it.
I've heard that from more than one builder/ tuner. I believe it was Steve at GMR Performance who had 2 bikes with identical 117" builds. One was an '06, one was an '07. The '06 model made something like 10% more hp/ 8% more tq than the '07 because of the 6 speed.

Old 12-07-2010, 01:52 PM
Kytann
Cruiser

Originally Posted by beaureed445
I've heard that from more than one builder/ tuner. I believe it was Steve at GMR Performance who had 2 bikes with identical 117" builds. One was an '06, one was an '07. The '06 model made something like 10% more hp/ 8% more tq than the '07 because of the 6 speed.
So if I had the old 5-speed I'd be at 139 horsepower (10% greater than 126)? Damn! Of course that swap is almost impossible to do...

Old 12-07-2010, 03:31 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,232 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by Kytann
So if I had the old 5-speed I'd be at 139 horsepower (10% greater than 126)? Damn! Of course that swap is almost impossible to do...
One of the most common differences when conducting roll-on power tests on a dyno is in the gear used during the test. Although fourth gear has been the “de facto standard”, some dyno operators prefer to use fifth gear, and now 6th gear, which can distort comparisons. Power readings recorded in fifth or sixth gear are generally higher than those performed in fourth gear. Also, a final drive ratio such as 3.15:1 will often show a higher power reading than a 3.37:1 ratio. Generally, the higher the transmission gear, the greater the engine loading and higher the power reading will be. Since the higher gear ratio slows the engine’s acceleration rate, less power is required to accelerate the rotating and reciprocating parts.

If your dyno pulls were done in sixth gear, they are not comparable to the same build in a five speed bike; this could account for some of the "free horsepower" you have registered. I am not knocking the build results at all; it is impressive. I am just saying that you cannot compare these results with the results from the same build in five speed bike. The only way to compare would be to run your pulls in a gear that is as close in final drive ratio as possible to the final drive ratio of the same build in a five speed bike where the pulls were done in fourth gear.

That is why fourth gear has been used in the past as the standard so build results could be compared accurately to determine the difference in performance between builds.

Regardless, your bike should be a hoot to ride and provides a little more motivation to me to rebuild my 95" in a WT configuration. Yours is now one of several good performing WT builds that I have seen and all were built from a WT package or a combination of components that closely follow the recipe, including H-D heads ported by Bob Wright.

Quick Reply: Kury Build is finished, 126 hp!!!