Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

sprocket shaft seal

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006 | 08:12 PM
hotrod351
|
Road Warrior
Default sprocket shaft seal

ive been having problems with an oil leak from sprocket shaft seal ever since i installed a 3 inch bdl open belt drive. i checked the runout and its good. ive replaced the seal and the spacer, last time. still a small drip after every ride. this time, when i removed the seal, i had to punch a small hole in it to hook it with a puller, i noticed the seal wasnt pushed flush against the seal stop in the case. i found out i could tap the seal in about 1/16th of an inch. seems that would be were it would need to be to enable the raised portion on the spacer to push against the back of the seal, to seal it, otherwise there is a gap between the back of the seal and the stop allowing the oil to sit there and build up. maybe ive screwed up but the new seal i installed i seated against the stop. have i pushed it in to far. should it just be flush with the case or be bottomed out.

Old 09-22-2006 | 08:45 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: sprocket shaft seal

Seal should be flush to case.Not sure what yr youre doing but spacer may be grooved,nicked,bike may have breathing issues.are you using a backing plate?Is the belt too tight?Does spacer rotate freely?

Old 09-22-2006 | 08:57 PM
hotrod351
|
Road Warrior
Default RE: sprocket shaft seal

the seal and spacer are new. its a 1990 fxstc with a 3 inch bdl. belt tension is perfect. spacer turns freely. this time, befor i took the seal off, i could pry the seal away from the spacer and see oil. i just thought that if theres a seal stop in the case why shouldnt the seal be pushed against it. when i used the jims seal installer tool it only seats the seal flush with the outer edege of the case. after that i can tap the seal in another 1/16th of and inch. the back of the sppacer has a flat area that i figured suppose to rest against the rear of the seal, to seal it. big bear said they only run colsed primarys but if i hurt anything it would only be the seal. anyway, ive tried everything i can think of. last case would be that i might have a breather issue. if this doesnt fix the problem ill check into a S&S breather valve.