Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Why are pistons required by shops at time of cyl boring?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 03:18 PM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,225 Likes on 3,756 Posts
Default Why are pistons required by shops at time of cyl boring?

Std. piston should fit std. bore? You can buy big bore jugs over the counter without pistons and vice versa.

Jim

Old 11-18-2010, 03:45 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,232 Likes on 1,614 Posts

If you are talking MoCo pistons/cylinders, the clearances can vay greatly. I would never install a big bore kit without having the piston to bore fitment confrimed by a qualified machinist with torque plates.

A piston, forged or cast, should have the "fitment" built in by the manufacture. In other words, cylinders bored to 4.125" should accomodate a piston manufactured to fit a 4.125" bore. However, IMHO, it is always a good idea to have the machinst check the piston dimensions before boring cylinders. Buy, you do what you want.

Just because you can buy pistons separate from cylinders doesn't mean the fitment will be what it should be. Like Reagan used to say, "trust but verify".

Old 11-18-2010, 04:13 PM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,225 Likes on 3,756 Posts

Originally Posted by djl
If you are talking MoCo pistons/cylinders, the clearances can vay greatly. I would never install a big bore kit without having the piston to bore fitment confrimed by a qualified machinist with torque plates.

A piston, forged or cast, should have the "fitment" built in by the manufacture. In other words, cylinders bored to 4.125" should accomodate a piston manufactured to fit a 4.125" bore. However, IMHO, it is always a good idea to have the machinst check the piston dimensions before boring cylinders. Buy, you do what you want.

Just because you can buy pistons separate from cylinders doesn't mean the fitment will be what it should be. Like Reagan used to say, "trust but verify".
Thanks, I think I will reconsider buying prebored cyls

Jim

Old 11-18-2010, 04:46 PM
CustomRKC04
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if your buying Harley pre bored cylinders any piston you select from Harly will work its only the aftermarket pistons that need to be verified for size.

Old 11-18-2010, 04:48 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

It is always a good idea to check tolerances of the rings and test fit each piston to the cylinder prior to install to find which fits best where.

Drew

Old 11-18-2010, 05:28 PM
xkvator
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cyls. are bored to a +/- tolerance...

pistons are made to a +/- tolerance

you dont want to match up minimum tolerance pistons to maximum tolerance cylinders, and viceversa...

you gotta get them anyway, so do it right, and match cyl. to piston...

Old 11-18-2010, 08:36 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,232 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by CustomRKC04
if your buying Harley pre bored cylinders any piston you select from Harly will work its only the aftermarket pistons that need to be verified for size.
Have to take exception to this statement. It's like xcvator says; the MoCo manufactures, or has manufactured, pistons and cylinders to a +/- spec. You buy a big bore kit which includes pistons and cylinders that are randomly matched up as a "kit" without benefit of checking piston to cylinder fitment. So, you get pistons on the - side of the spec and cylinders on the + side of the spec and that combination is likely to either be noisy and/or consume oil. I won't even get into the issue the "roundness" of the MoCo cylinders.

I don't mean to just lay this a MoCo problem, same applies to any piston/cylinder combination. Will you get lucky and get a good tight fit; maybe, maybe not but why take a chance?

Old 11-19-2010, 05:12 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 587 Posts

We measure the skirt diameters, with either Starrett, or Mititoyo micrometers(we have them from .500" models, up to 12" units).
At that point, we dial the specified piston/cylinder wall clearence into the thimble, and lock it.
The micrometer is then held in a machinist vise, and a Mititoyo Dial Bore guage is "0"ed, EXACTLY, to the micrometer. No guess work, no faulity readings.
Once that guage is set, then we then bore the cylinder to within the measuring range of the bore guage, and we leave .003"-.004" for torque hone,( 1.500" thick, 6061-T6 aluminum custom torque plates) and the same guage follows that set of cylinders to the hone.
That is how we perform that work.
Scott

Old 11-19-2010, 06:03 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,168 Likes on 3,676 Posts

Y'all some smart ****'s....All this little bits of information will eventually fill my brain and mybe i can put it to use....LOL....Ain't this a great place....Smart ****'s.

Old 11-19-2010, 06:09 AM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

I agree. Each piston should be fit to it's bore.....same for rings....gap and file fit rings to their "assigned" cylinder.

If you're going to take an engine apart...best to do it right, IMHO.

~Joe

Last edited by traveler; 11-19-2010 at 06:11 AM.

Quick Reply: Why are pistons required by shops at time of cyl boring?