Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Why are pistons required by shops at time of cyl boring?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 06:01 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 820 Likes on 585 Posts

Are you getting ready to send your heads up now??
Scott

Old 01-13-2011, 10:51 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,163 Likes on 1,577 Posts

Originally Posted by roadkingharry
I called a 4th dealer who's about an hour from me and they said that yes, they do check cylinders (on torque plates) and pistons beforehand and are glad they do because they have gotten out-of-spec cylinders and pistons from the Moco, but since they caught the f.u. beforehand, didn't install the parts. They could check mine for a 1 hour service fee of $70.00 and give me written documentation on the measurements. Seems like good insurance for peace of mind. Now I just have to figure out if I trust 'em to do the job properly before I install them. Thanks again guys for sharing your knowledge.
It's a shame that one has to pay an extra $70 to insure correct fitment from a "matched" set of H-D pistons/cyllnders but peace of mind usually has a price. They probably do a good job and they do use torque plates, so if their measuring instruments are accurate, you should be OK. Ask them to see the data sheet where the record the measurements. You want measurments at the TDC, BDC and at the center point between the two. The measurements should be taken on four axes, in other words, looking down at the bore and see a pizza sliced in 8 pieces. You should have a measurement of the clearance between piston and bore at the points all four axes contact the bore at TDC, BDC and halfway in between. I would also ask to see the measurement data before the piston/cylinders were installed. At lease you had the presence of mind to find a dealer that appears to know what they are doing. Good luck.

Old 01-13-2011, 12:09 PM
prodrag1320
Banned
Received 622 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by roadkingharry
This is another VERY interesting and helpful thread as I am about ready (like in the next few days) to install the HD 95" cast pistons and cylinders I bought from Chicago HD a few months back. When I read the 1st few posts yesterday I got to thinking that I should have the sizes verified beforehand, so I called 3 different local dealers to find out if they check cyl., rings and pistons from the Moco before they install them in their rebuild work. They told me they don't bother with that and just slap 'em in. I'm like yikes! So I called the Moco to find out if they verify specs before shipping a "matched" set of pistons and cylinders. Of course I knew the answer before I asked the question. After reading the latest posts today, I called a 4th dealer who's about an hour from me and they said that yes, they do check cylinders (on torque plates) and pistons beforehand and are glad they do because they have gotten out-of-spec cylinders and pistons from the Moco, but since they caught the f.u. beforehand, didn't install the parts. They could check mine for a 1 hour service fee of $70.00 and give me written documentation on the measurements. Seems like good insurance for peace of mind. Now I just have to figure out if I trust 'em to do the job properly before I install them. Thanks again guys for sharing your knowledge.
70.00 to torque plate and check factory 1550 cylinders???? theve got to be kidding!! you could have a set bored for alittle more than that!! (it takes them an hour to t/plate & check cylinders??!! BS on that one!!)

Old 01-13-2011, 01:04 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,163 Likes on 1,577 Posts

Shop rates in my area are $75/hour. So, an hour to set up, torque plate and measure = one hour of shop time = $75.

Boring/honing to fit is certainly an option but at $120-$150 (in my area) $70 seems reasonable to me. If the RKH can't do it himself (most of us don't have the tools) he is better off paying for the measurement check than not; he doesn't have many options.

Last edited by djl; 01-13-2011 at 04:00 PM.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:22 PM
roadkingharry
Road Captain
Received 49 Likes on 21 Posts

The 1 hour estimated labor was to check cylinders, pistons and end gaps of the rings.